First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Couple of quick comments.

Lust, you have obviously got the problem licked but at a significant $ cost and I don't really know what else you could do. You also have a tune, (not sure if it is an ethanol tune or not). I think the question asked that got 17RGuy so upset (post 263) is completely valid for someone who doesn't have a tune, doesn't drive in 100 F temps and is hoping not to spend the money you have. Most of us would like to find the most cost efficient way to keep engine temps down for our particular needs and modifications

Also, I am surprised that the engine starts pulling power with ECTs of 200F when the thermostat isn't fully open until 194 F (90C). Most OEM engines like to operate at higher temps to help with emissions so this seems like a very tiny range for the engine to work most effectively.
Sponsored

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag

Lust, you have obviously got the problem licked but at a significant $ cost and I don't really know what else you could do. You also have a tune, (not sure if it is an ethanol tune or not). I think the question asked that got 17RGuy so upset (post 263) is completely valid for someone who doesn't have a tune, doesn't drive in 100 F temps and is hoping not to spend the money you have. Most of us would like to find the most cost efficient way to keep engine temps down for our particular needs and modifications

Also, I am surprised that the engine starts pulling power with ECTs of 200F when the thermostat isn't fully open until 194 F (90C). Most OEM engines like to operate at higher temps to help with emissions so this seems like a very tiny range for the engine to work most effectively.
@Lust is on a 91 octane tune. We have discussed the use of ethanol or pump gas effecting overheating, not too much of a drastic help in heat reduction with ethanol for the fast and hard runners at the track. A lot of data in these threads have also highlighted even in sub-90 degree heat with lower humidity, the guys running all out are still overheating.
The pure fact of this platform is it needs improved air in, also air out. That coupled with more efficient coolers, radiators, and a turn down in power is the only real solution across the vast majority of climates.
I have literally all of the same cooling mods as Lust and Fatherpain, except I am on and will stay with a stock ecu. Being down in Texas, I hope to share valuable information as we get warmer this year with y’all.

Last edited:

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Also @Dave B, for anyone not wanting to dump the money a lot of us have in to cooling mods, the only real way I can see someone saving money is through trial and error with their own car and climate.
I would argue most people could get away with possible savings on mods, but unfortunately that is solely up to your driving skills and subsequent climate you track in. I personally took the $4k+ plunge into all the best available cooling mods because I’m too old and crabby to add shit later. Also, cooling mods on this platform for hard track use are a hell of a lot cheaper than other platforms I have used before.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
please share average and peak ECT/IATs as well as mods please
Unfortunately, the app doesn't let me look at the data that way. It appears to be there, but the phone app doesn't show it :(

I put out another thread about a viewer for it. Kefi liked the idea, but I'm sure it's just one more thing on his list. I haven't given up on other means to view the data, but no idea if that will happen. If anyone is interested, the post is here; https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/logr-data-log-viewer.58765/

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Unfortunately, the app doesn't let me look at the data that way. It appears to be there, but the phone app doesn't show it :(

I put out another thread about a viewer for it. Kefi liked the idea, but I'm sure it's just one more thing on his list. I haven't given up on other means to view the data, but no idea if that will happen. If anyone is interested, the post is here; https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/logr-data-log-viewer.58765/
What kind of format does the app create? If it were tabular (or any other type of delimited) or something you could probably write a script to parse it pretty quickly.

OP
OP
Lust

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag

Cost effective would be to start with a radiator first. The car generates a lot of heat and at this point I would only recommend a C&R track radiator. From there add mods as necessary. I’d probably look at a grill first then adding hood vents above the turbo or getting the Varis hood after that. A side mount oil cooler should also be considered.

I’ve been spoon feeding people information yet they refuse to actually do any testing on their own.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Lust is on a 91 octane tune. We have discussed the use of ethanol or pump gas effecting overheating, not too much of a drastic help in heat reduction with ethanol for the fast and hard runners at the track. A lot of data in these threads have also highlighted even in sub-90 degree heat with lower humidity, the guys running all out are still overheating.
The pure fact of this platform is it needs improved air in, also air out. That coupled with more efficient coolers, radiators, and a turn down in power is the only real solution across the vast majority of climates.
I have literally all of the same cooling mods as Lust and Fatherpain, except I am on and will stay with a stock ecu. Being down in Texas, I hope to share valuable information as we get warmer this year with y’all.
Sorry but your comment here on ethanol tunes not helping keep heat down is completely wrong. Don’t know how many times I’ve posted my setup and lap times. I don’t overheat anymore.

Use search if you want to find my solutions. @Lust is right, so much information is spoon fed here with EXACT SOLUTIONS. Why are we still discussing this??

17RGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R
Country flag
Sorry but your comment here on ethanol tunes not helping keep heat down is completely wrong. Don’t know how many times I’ve posted my setup and lap times. I don’t overheat anymore.

Use search if you want to find my solutions. @Lust is right, so much information is spoon fed here with EXACT SOLUTIONS. Why are we still discussing this??
You misread my comment... I specifically said a drastic difference. Meaning most of the people asking on this thread are asking for a 1 stop shop for a solution. Ethanol only is not going to solve overheating, hence why I said not a drastic change.

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You misread my comment... I specifically said a drastic difference. Meaning most of the people asking on this thread are asking for a 1 stop shop for a solution. Ethanol only is not going to solve overheating, hence why I said not a drastic change.
Apologies for misreading the "drastic difference" part.

It certainly made a drastic difference in my experience. Went from doing 2-3 hot laps to an entire session without overheating ??‍♂

Would like to see a stock Type R with ONLY an ethanol tune and see where it ends up.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
What kind of format does the app create? If it were tabular (or any other type of delimited) or something you could probably write a script to parse it pretty quickly.
It's binary, but it appears to have a frame-based format. I haven't had the time to do it yet but I'll be trying to reverse engineer it sooner or later.

LURK-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch
Country flag

Apologies for misreading the "drastic difference" part.

It certainly made a drastic difference in my experience. Went from doing 2-3 hot laps to an entire session without overheating ??‍♂

Would like to see a stock Type R with ONLY an ethanol tune and see where it ends up.
I'm certainly guilty of this. Lust did a great job of explaining his experiences and providing actual data. Not just theory and/or people trying to apply on paper physics to real life testing ON THE TRACK.

I'm also interested in the ethanol only thing, as I would want the absolute cheapest path to a 100% fix. In many of our defenses, "Would like to see a stock Type R with ONLY an ethanol tune and see where it ends up" is a statement that shows that we are still exploring options for different ways to mitigate the heat issues. It looks like a few different combos are working, but IMO there's still work to do. It's possible that ethanol and any aluminum radiator might work, with no additional venting, coolers, etc. But I'm not sure if it has been done. From a $$$ perspective, this could be the difference between spending $1000 or $2500 (just an example), and that's important. IDK I might of missed something, or I might simply be someone who needs said spoon feeding. Just speaking from my perspective.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's binary, but it appears to have a frame-based format. I haven't had the time to do it yet but I'll be trying to reverse engineer it sooner or later.
It’s so cool to have here the genius that could teach Bill Nigh, “The Science Guy” everything he doesn’t know yet.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Dammit Honda, not cool. Surprised they don't have any other formatting options :(

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Dammit Honda, not cool. Surprised they don't have any other formatting options :(
I’ll try to take a crack at it this weekend. The data isn’t encrypted and looks repetitive and most likely made by some open source library. Not sure what it’ll actually contain though.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I'm guessing it's a proprietary format. Not sure though as it's not plain text. I did find that it has fields in the app for max values, but for the data set I have from Dec 12th they are all empty. I just had my car updated with TSB A20-088 which is supposed to fix this. Tracking this weekend and will see what the data looks like.
Sponsored