Overheating at Track...Let me try this again!

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
So, I have another data point. I have the Trackspec hood vent on the car and no power mods or cooling mods other than that. Yesterday I was at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (formerly known as Mosport) which is a very fast track with 4 x 5th gear corners and I only downshift to 3rd once per lap. Ambient temps about 74 F with pretty high humidity. There is a lot of time at WOT but also lots of speed to help the radiator work well.

Using LogR, ECT never went above 212 and generally stayed at 206 F but oil temps got to the 255-260 zone. I do not have an oil cooler. Interesting that I had no issue running 20 minute sessions and often my fastest lap was 6 to 8 laps in, not the first one. OTOH, IATs stayed pretty high i.e over the 120 mark all day and I did not make any more power (as estimated by top speed) than on a hotter day (85 F) even though ECTs stayed pretty low. Previously at the warmer day, ECTs hit 223 and oil temps around 260.

I know this was a cooler day which no doubt helped and the track is quick so there is lots of cooling air. Wondering if a Racelouver vent and an upgraded radiator would make that big a difference ( I suspect they would). I also think I need to look at at least a tune which is going to make the heat issue worse and I think I need to get those IATs down. Either way the car was reliable and did not have any issue with heat over longer periods.
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
So, I have another data point. I have the Trackspec hood vent on the car and no power mods or cooling mods other than that. Yesterday I was at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (formerly known as Mosport) which is a very fast track with 4 x 5th gear corners and I only downshift to 3rd once per lap. Ambient temps about 74 F with pretty high humidity. There is a lot of time at WOT but also lots of speed to help the radiator work well.

Using LogR, ECT never went above 212 and generally stayed at 206 F but oil temps got to the 255-260 zone. I do not have an oil cooler. Interesting that I had no issue running 20 minute sessions and often my fastest lap was 6 to 8 laps in, not the first one. OTOH, IATs stayed pretty high i.e over the 120 mark all day and I did not make any more power (as estimated by top speed) than on a hotter day (85 F) even though ECTs stayed pretty low. Previously at the warmer day, ECTs hit 223 and oil temps around 260.

I know this was a cooler day which no doubt helped and the track is quick so there is lots of cooling air. Wondering if a Racelouver vent and an upgraded radiator would make that big a difference ( I suspect they would). I also think I need to look at at least a tune which is going to make the heat issue worse and I think I need to get those IATs down. Either way the car was reliable and did not have any issue with heat over longer periods.
C&R track rad and IC. Avoid the tune for now as it will just increase your temps and pull power anyways.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating at Track...Let me try this again! 8628D734-A806-4BF6-95CD-781EE73D86C8

Doing another round of mods… this time to address this bare metal OEM water pipe which is in close proximity to the hot turbo and downpipe.

Honda Civic 10th gen Overheating at Track...Let me try this again! A2E5B5B4-586C-4E84-AAD9-4ACFE6EFC2D7
Installed this hard lagged Dream Automotive replacement pipe. It’s an OEM water pipe with insulation that cuts 900F down to 200F.

Installation is a little bit involved… It would be much easier (and less expensive to wrap the OEM pipe with some type of insulation and secure with hose clamps….

Thinking any kind of insulation applied here would help temps in addition to the C&R/ PWR race radiator.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Tom, I sawyer detailed write up on getting this hard lagged water pipe on. I agree with you it should be quite effective.

I also had the same thought about getting some kind of wrap with wire or clamps to secure might be far easier and at least add some protection from the heat off the turbo.. Maybe PTP or someone could come up with something..

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
C&R track rad and IC. Avoid the tune for now as it will just increase your temps and pull power anyways.
I was very pleased re the ECTs although the ambient temps were not high. Not sure I need to be concerned about the oil temps. OTOH, higher IATs were likely hurting me somewhat. Certainly the power seemed to be stable but not overly high.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
No a type r hood. Base hood won’t work due to the latch being in a different location then the R
Looking forward to your results! I think a setup like this will be in my future for next years summer track days.

CTRookie

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Also for those that want a picture of underneath.
ABEEE422-3C27-4B0C-9D51-AF5E7DD2234A.jpeg
Car looks beautiful, also saw your cars pic on the race louvers website under this product, very cool.

I myself am going for the 3 vent setup from race louvers. Quick question, what do you do about rain?

Rhorn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Reading these posts truly saddens me.. the famous CTR cant make a track appearance because it overheats (hyperbole). I think this is also the case for any turbocharged performance car out there (focus ST, STi...). I'll be making minimal investments before hitting the track, if the overheating shows its face I'll try shift towards night events or strictly winter (down in Florida). I cant see myself dumping tons of cash just to get a few laps around the track, not at my skill level, shame really.

Best of luck with your situation, keep us posted.
Hey, I live in Florida too. I am considering getting the next gen CTR. Like OP I have a Mustang GT350 and it gets very expensive tracking that car, its also a special edition so I do baby it and don't want to get it damaged. My DD is a Scion tC and I'd get the CTR to replace my DD. Ideally I'd rather have a GR86 as a track/DD car because its NA and not FI so no heating problems, but its just not practical at all having two 2 door coupes. I need the extra cargo space, and I don't have the money to buy a third vehicle (SUV/Truck) to use when I need cargo space. I actually had the opportunity to buy the FRS back when I got my tC but explicitly decided not to because of the lack of cargo space.

Im am by no means an expert or pro at track driving, Im a beginner but have you experienced overheating problems at all in Florida? I live in Central Florida area and would like to go out to Daytona and do at least 3 - 20 minute track sessions without any problems. I do understand that these cars have limitations.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I'm still convinced that the mods that you all are doing to a stock power '20-21 Type R are causing your overheating issues in many cases. Though hard to say since I know we all drive differently and on different tracks.

I know, not a popular opinion. But based upon my experience on several tracks I'm not having any overheating issues. I'm a stock power 2020 (all stock except fluids, pads and wheels). I have about 20 track days over the last 16 months.

Yesterday was sunny and 93F in central Arizona, Podium Club, 2.5 mile track. Ran afternoon sessions as long as 30 minutes. No cool down laps, and hard the whole session shifting at 6-6.5k depending upon the section. Temp gauge barely moved. If I can run 30 minutes sessions at 93F, why can't you?

This isn't the only track I've run and on none of them have I had issues. Last weekend was Radford (1.2? miles) and mid 80's. No heat issues. I do park in the shade (I bring my own), leave the hood open between sessions and make sure to do a cool down lap even if its in the paddock.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I'm still convinced that the mods that you all are doing to a stock power '20-21 Type R are causing your overheating issues in many cases. Though hard to say since I know we all drive differently and on different tracks.

I know, not a popular opinion. But based upon my experience on several tracks I'm not having any overheating issues. I'm a stock power 2020 (all stock except fluids, pads and wheels). I have about 20 track days over the last 16 months.

Yesterday was sunny and 93F in central Arizona, Podium Club, 2.5 mile track. Ran afternoon sessions as long as 30 minutes. No cool down laps, and hard the whole session shifting at 6-6.5k depending upon the section. Temp gauge barely moved. If I can run 30 minutes sessions at 93F, why can't you?

This isn't the only track I've run and on none of them have I had issues. Last weekend was Radford (1.2? miles) and mid 80's. No heat issues. I do park in the shade (I bring my own), leave the hood open between sessions and make sure to do a cool down lap even if its in the paddock.
without knowing your lap times its hard to judge. A track I know like Thunderhill east you can run a 2:10 all day and not overheat but that’s a slower time.

if you get quicker at driving and run near a 2:00 flat you’ll overheat in a lap.

so that can really change things

OP
OP
dsm_mikey

dsm_mikey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 CTR, 23 ZL1 1LE, 07 S2000, 05 350Z, 86 190e 16V
Country flag
100% The harder you push the car, the more likely it will overheat. You can run 80% all day without overheating...

without knowing your lap times its hard to judge. A track I know like Thunderhill east you can run a 2:10 all day and not overheat but that’s a slower time.

if you get quicker at driving and run near a 2:00 flat you’ll overheat in a lap.

so that can really change things
Sponsored