Overheating at Track...Let me try this again!

b2point0h

First Name
Brandon
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2006 v8 4x4 4Runner, 2018 Forester XT
Country flag
If titanium transmits heat poorly, your statement makes no sense. It is the pad and the rotor that will run hotter and hopefully the caliper will be a bit cooler meaning your seals will be at least a bit protected. Also by running the rotor a bit hotter, the delta between the incoming and outgoing air will be higher which is actually going to be a bit more efficient.
You're right, I worded that wrong. Ti shims, or any shims for that matter, will help reduce the heat transfer to the caliper & seals, and will help reduce the possibility of boiling the fluid. If NOT using shims, the heat will go straight to the caliper and seals. Using the Ti shims will keep the heat at the pad and rotor, which also isn't great. Best solution will be proper cooling ducts to keep fresh cool air going to all parts.
Advertisement

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
So, I have another data point. I have the Trackspec hood vent on the car and no power mods or cooling mods other than that. Yesterday I was at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (formerly known as Mosport) which is a very fast track with 4 x 5th gear corners and I only downshift to 3rd once per lap. Ambient temps about 74 F with pretty high humidity. There is a lot of time at WOT but also lots of speed to help the radiator work well.

Using LogR, ECT never went above 212 and generally stayed at 206 F but oil temps got to the 255-260 zone. I do not have an oil cooler. Interesting that I had no issue running 20 minute sessions and often my fastest lap was 6 to 8 laps in, not the first one. OTOH, IATs stayed pretty high i.e over the 120 mark all day and I did not make any more power (as estimated by top speed) than on a hotter day (85 F) even though ECTs stayed pretty low. Previously at the warmer day, ECTs hit 223 and oil temps around 260.

I know this was a cooler day which no doubt helped and the track is quick so there is lots of cooling air. Wondering if a Racelouver vent and an upgraded radiator would make that big a difference ( I suspect they would). I also think I need to look at at least a tune which is going to make the heat issue worse and I think I need to get those IATs down. Either way the car was reliable and did not have any issue with heat over longer periods.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
So, I have another data point. I have the Trackspec hood vent on the car and no power mods or cooling mods other than that. Yesterday I was at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (formerly known as Mosport) which is a very fast track with 4 x 5th gear corners and I only downshift to 3rd once per lap. Ambient temps about 74 F with pretty high humidity. There is a lot of time at WOT but also lots of speed to help the radiator work well.

Using LogR, ECT never went above 212 and generally stayed at 206 F but oil temps got to the 255-260 zone. I do not have an oil cooler. Interesting that I had no issue running 20 minute sessions and often my fastest lap was 6 to 8 laps in, not the first one. OTOH, IATs stayed pretty high i.e over the 120 mark all day and I did not make any more power (as estimated by top speed) than on a hotter day (85 F) even though ECTs stayed pretty low. Previously at the warmer day, ECTs hit 223 and oil temps around 260.

I know this was a cooler day which no doubt helped and the track is quick so there is lots of cooling air. Wondering if a Racelouver vent and an upgraded radiator would make that big a difference ( I suspect they would). I also think I need to look at at least a tune which is going to make the heat issue worse and I think I need to get those IATs down. Either way the car was reliable and did not have any issue with heat over longer periods.
C&R track rad and IC. Avoid the tune for now as it will just increase your temps and pull power anyways.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Car(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
8628D734-A806-4BF6-95CD-781EE73D86C8.jpeg

Doing another round of mods… this time to address this bare metal OEM water pipe which is in close proximity to the hot turbo and downpipe.

A2E5B5B4-586C-4E84-AAD9-4ACFE6EFC2D7.jpeg
Installed this hard lagged Dream Automotive replacement pipe. It’s an OEM water pipe with insulation that cuts 900F down to 200F.

Installation is a little bit involved… It would be much easier (and less expensive to wrap the OEM pipe with some type of insulation and secure with hose clamps….

Thinking any kind of insulation applied here would help temps in addition to the C&R/ PWR race radiator.

metal_driver

Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Tom, I sawyer detailed write up on getting this hard lagged water pipe on. I agree with you it should be quite effective.

I also had the same thought about getting some kind of wrap with wire or clamps to secure might be far easier and at least add some protection from the heat off the turbo.. Maybe PTP or someone could come up with something..

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Car(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
C&R track rad and IC. Avoid the tune for now as it will just increase your temps and pull power anyways.
I was very pleased re the ECTs although the ambient temps were not high. Not sure I need to be concerned about the oil temps. OTOH, higher IATs were likely hurting me somewhat. Certainly the power seemed to be stable but not overly high.

QuasarMotors

First Name
Jeff
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda CTR
Country flag
I was finally able to get the track hood installed for a test fit. Really liking how it turned out and excited to see what results I get out of it next season.

951F6AD3-5E63-472E-BF75-439A5C8C5C93.jpeg
6744F44B-8379-42BB-B1DE-D0387B0B20AD.jpeg

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
No a type r hood. Base hood won’t work due to the latch being in a different location then the R
Looking forward to your results! I think a setup like this will be in my future for next years summer track days.

Advertisement

Advertisement