Overheating at the track, is there a bullet proof recipe to solve it?

PTYFK8

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R/ 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S / 2015 BMW M3 f80
Country flag
yesterday i had my third track day with the FK8. Conditions down here in Panama, Central America, are somehow very warm. In the track yesterday we had from 85-90F Temperature with 99% humidity.

We took 3 Type R FK8 to the track, two modified (hondata, downpipes, exhaust, Oil coolers, etc) and one stock. the three cars after 4 laps at full speed started to get the temperature high. We had to slow down or get out of the heat. it continue to repeat every time we got out to the track.

I´ve seen some post regarding things you can buy to fix the problem, but my questions is: Is there anybody who track their car and have no overheating issues anymore and what/how it got fixed?

This is one lap yesterday trying to keep up with an M2 Competition, my car only have the Hondata 100 octane fuel tune. ( i was running on VP MS109).

Thanks,

Jp
Sponsored

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
What oil cooler are they using? Seems you've only added power and no cooling which is making the issue even worse.

I had mine overheat the last track day I did and ordered an oil cooler and more open grill. Funny enough it has gone out twice before I added Hondata, PRL IC and PRL intake and didn't overheat. Have yet to go back with the new cooling mods so I cannot say if my issue is fixed but curious what oil cooler your friend went with.

Vincent@27WON

REDEFINE the Aftermarket
Elite Sponsor
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.27won.com
Vehicle(s)
18 SI, 18 CTR, 22 Si, 23 Integra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oil cooler, hood vents, and grill helped out the most from what we have seen. A bigger radiator and IC core round it out.

FK8 Twigs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #01007
Country flag
Following.. i haven't been to one track day where I didn't overheat to some extent, even when ambient temps were in the 40's/50's.. I bought some of that heat resistant tape to wrap the intake tube, I was going to start there and see if it helped

OP
OP

PTYFK8

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R/ 2017 Porsche 911 Carrera S / 2015 BMW M3 f80
Country flag
What oil cooler are they using? Seems you've only added power and no cooling which is making the issue even worse.

I had mine overheat the last track day I did and ordered an oil cooler and more open grill. Funny enough it has gone out twice before I added Hondata, PRL IC and PRL intake and didn't overheat. Have yet to go back with the new cooling mods so I cannot say if my issue is fixed but curious what oil cooler your friend went with.
I have The HKS oil cooler.

Jp

ipeefreely

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Raptor / 2019 CTR
Country flag
It doesn't seem like you know what exactly is on those three cars that overheated.

Based on what the guys local to me are doing, I have the following mods to combat the cooling issues on this car:

- PRL Intercooler
- Koyo Radiator
- Turbo Blanket
- PRL DP and FP - will probably powdercoat and wrap
- Evasive vented driver's side grille
- HKS Oil cooler
- Seibon Vented Hood
- Zero Auto Factory vents

I will be very surprised if I still have overheating issues. BUT if it still happens, I will then add the Seibon front grille and maybe a secondary mishimoto cooler.

voiddweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR (Sold), '04 TSX MT, '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE MT
Country flag
I'm assuming that these suggestions are with a stock car, correct? I run into overheating issues with my stock car and had to dial my driving back to 7/10's to keep things cool. It was still fun to drive, but frustrating. Not really the car that Honda promised.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm assuming that these suggestions are with a stock car, correct? I run into overheating issues with my stock car and had to dial my driving back to 7/10's to keep things cool. It was still fun to drive, but frustrating. Not really the car that Honda promised.
Yeah almost sounds like it was never test or intended for hotter climates?

voiddweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 CTR (Sold), '04 TSX MT, '19 Camaro ZL1 1LE MT
Country flag
Yeah almost sounds like it was never test or intended for hotter climates?
Based on all the threads I've read on the overheating, I concur.
Sponsored