Overfilled or not enough oil?

CivicILiveIT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I have a 2017 Civic Ex 1.5L so specs says it takes 3.7 quarts. I changed my oil and refilled it with 2 different Mobil 1 full sythn 5 qt jugs( 1 new and 1 with remaining oil from previous oil change), I didnt read the measurements of the remaining amount for the old jug so I took the old oil and filled up an similar empty oil jug and it reads 3.7 qts so a good estimate is that it had 1.3 qts, my new jug has 3.5 qts remaining after I poured 1.5 in so based on this I put in 2.8 qts but the dip stick shows oil filling the whole orange area past the top mark. I let the car run just for a little bit and then checked the dip stick again and it shows the same, something just doesnt seem to add up.

Appreciate any insight, thanks
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I have a 2017 Civic Ex 1.5L so specs says it takes 3.7 quarts. I changed my oil and refilled it with 2 different Mobil 1 full sythn 5 qt jugs( 1 new and 1 with remaining oil from previous oil change), I didnt read the measurements of the remaining amount for the old jug so I took the old oil and filled up an similar empty oil jug and it reads 3.7 qts so a good estimate is that it had 1.3 qts, my new jug has 3.5 qts remaining after I poured 1.5 in so based on this I put in 2.8 qts but the dip stick shows oil filling the whole orange area past the top mark. I let the car run just for a little bit and then checked the dip stick again and it shows the same, something just doesnt seem to add up.

Appreciate any insight, thanks
I didn't follow how you calculated how much oil you had in the open jug after you already poured it into the engine.

OP
OP

CivicILiveIT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I didn't follow how you calculated how much oil you had in the open jug after you already poured it into the engine.
So the oil removed from the car is 3.7 qts so I'm assuming the amount left in the open jug was 1.3 qts which is 5qts minus 3.7 qts.... I will check the dipstick again today to see if its showing the same

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
So the oil removed from the car is 3.7 qts so I'm assuming the amount left in the open jug was 1.3 qts which is 5qts minus 3.7 qts.... I will check the dipstick again today to see if its showing the same
You are making an assumption that is not based on any calculation.

Ap1 George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SGP Civic Sport Hatch 6MT
Country flag
just look at the dipstick
Sponsored