1.5T over engine induction pipe

Miha__

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Hi,

Can somebody check / confirm that induction pipe that goes over the engine and bolts into the turbo has a bit of a different shape on the SI model compared to normal 1.5t

It may be a bit more flow optimised
Sponsored

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
What am I comparing it to? You'd need to provide a picture of the engine bay on an EX-T.

OP
OP

Miha__

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
The best way to check is if part numbers are different. See pics think one is a bit bigger.

Honda Civic 10th gen over engine induction pipe Civic-Si

Honda Civic 10th gen over engine induction pipe normal

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hi,

Can somebody check / confirm that induction pipe that goes over the engine and bolts into the turbo has a bit of a different shape on the SI model compared to normal 1.5t

Yes it's a different part number on the Si.. and the air chamber has more volume/larger..
Si p/n# 17270-5AM-A00
Sport
p/n# 17270-5AA-H00

Also the Si part is cheaper as well by 40$ or so..:thumbsup:

OP
OP

Miha__

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
From the looks of the induction setup this can be the restriction point of the non si. So if the mounting points match this could be only induction mod that will produce a bit earlier boost point and a bit wider torque range.
It would be nice if the hondata or ktuner staff could test this on there dynos.
I'm quite shure they have both car options in their collection.

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
My simple logic on this is if Honda thought that a larger air chamber was needed for the Si which produces more boost, then this would be a benefit to the lower boost models if they run a tune.

If that part was about 1/5 of the cost, I'd just buy the stupid thing and install it regardless.

My simple logic also says....if Honda could've just produced a single chamber for all models, they would've, w/o a doubt! So the fact that they made two different versions must mean that it has a measurable effect. It's certainly not bigger just for the 'look' of it.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Smaller chamber probably allows for higher velocity for the lower mass of air of the non-Sis running lower boost levels. Helping response... and playing into improving torque a tick but hurting power up top. Probably not too much of a difference though.

Remember... velocity plays a part... and smaller volumes come to pressure quicker... and the chamber necking down is acting as a nozzle to raise velocity. The bases are all about torque down low. 11 vane turbos to spool sooner. This looks like one more, albeit, small piece to drive towards low end torque.

There might be someone who installed a CAI that'll sell for a little bit of nothing... and there has to be a an Si it two that's made it to the junkyard. I have looked around my parts a month or two ago and had yet to see a 10th gen make it to my local yards yet.

OP
OP

Miha__

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
all the CAI stop at mass air flow sensor. So before this part.

You are right about smaller volumes come to pressure quicker and higher velocity.
But that part holds true only for the pressuried part of the intake system. So behind the turbo.

Air velocity will only play a role if the velocity is already there. So when you shift. At that time you have some moving mass of air but that would also need to drive the exhaust side.

Because turbo is basically air pump it would be logical that intake should be as free flowing as posible.

So it may be possible that this is more a commercial target (power or engine behavior). If you check normal torque map ( not remaped) you will see slow reduction of torque from max of 190 at 2500 to 180 at 6500. So maybe this is the part responsible for this.

Then again I might be totally wrong ;-)

dareth

First Name
kohw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5T
Country flag
Can i confirm Si is 17270-5AA-A00 once more?
Joint Assembly, Turbocharger
17270-5AA-A00 - $107.67

Joint Assembly, Turbocharger
17270-5AA-H00 - $275.14

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

r.camlin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Air velocity will only play a role if the velocity is already there. So when you shift. At that time you have some moving mass of air but that would also need to drive the exhaust side.
This is actually not entirely correct according to the Venturi effect. When a fluid mass (in this case, air) meets a choke point, then is output to an area of lower pressure, it will actually gain velocity. Basically it will be moving through the smaller portion faster than the larger portion.

To test this, blow through a paper towel tube and put your hand (or better yet, a pinwheel or something if you have it) in front of it. Then do the same thing with a straw.

OP
OP

Miha__

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
r.camlin : you have a point, air velocity will increase. But this part sucks not blows ;) pun intended.

Interesting that this part did gain traction under tuner community to the part that it is being researched.

Really interesting that SI TIP flows only 5% better. But than again this is also the delta in power between normal and SI version.

I’m really surprised and fascinated about the level of engineering that 27won is putting into it.
Improving on good design requires time and effort. Respect

Will be interesting to see how the characteristics change, when the flow is not restricted.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i dont get it.

I wish to get the pipe and like to confirm the part number for Si is 17270-5AA-A00.
And besides, what do u mean 'its multiple parts'?
The blog is multiple parts. Its not worth cost for what you gain. here is pt 2 if you want to read. Anyhow, save your money, you'll notice the gain from the Si inlet pipe.

Honda Civic 10th gen over engine induction pipe upload_2019-8-5_21-23-9

Barett@27WON

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Barett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Sedan, 2009 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Hi,

Here is a direct comparison of the Base and SI Turbo Inlet Pipes
https://www.27won.com/blog/honda-civicx-turbo-inlet-pipe-flow-testing-design-pt1

r.camlin : you have a point, air velocity will increase. But this part sucks not blows ;) pun intended.

Interesting that this part did gain traction under tuner community to the part that it is being researched.

Really interesting that SI TIP flows only 5% better. But than again this is also the delta in power between normal and SI version.

I’m really surprised and fascinated about the level of engineering that 27won is putting into it.
Improving on good design requires time and effort. Respect

Will be interesting to see how the characteristics change, when the flow is not restricted.
Here's the latest update. We are moving forward headstrong and wanted to keep you guys and gals in the loop.
https://www.27won.com/blog/why-does...ka-when-will-the-turbo-inlet-pipe-be-for-sale
Sponsored