First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absurd distinction to draw? According to who's point of view? Just yours or the general consensus of drivers?

DCT is really more of an automatic system. You can argue til the cows come home that it is a hybrid but really it you can't define it in any terms of it being a manual and since its an automatic system that is operating the gears, its really more of an automatic. Mind you I actually love DCT but DCT is really just a fancy automatic rather than a manual.

Now getting on to the other points.

I think you are having some reading comprehension issues. Type R is specifically engineered for a specific type of use. It was meant for the racetrack. That is where the history of the Type R begins. In more recent times, it has been heavily tested and built for on the Nurburgring for its performance. The Type R was not designed with the idea of it being used as your DD going back and forth from work or going to the mall or grabbing some groceries. Now can it do that? It certainly can but that is not what it was meant to do. They are targeting a specific niche market and specific group of people. Yeah you have companies like Chevy and Mazda that make their "sport" cars with Auto and Manual but that is their purpose. Honda's purpose of designing and building the Type R is not the same as them.
I didn't draw the distinction, you did. I called your distinction absurd.

By definition, a "sports car" is a 2 seat, 2 door car designed for going fast. This is Webster's definition. So by that definition the CTR is NOT a sports car, neither is the pony car, but the Miata would be.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a28225/sports-car-definition/

The point is, the definitions are elastic. "Luxury" doesn't enter into the equation, although you seem to think it some how makes a difference. Hence my questions about where you draw your distinctions.

In any case, your assertion that no one offers a "sports car" with an automatic is patently false, especially if you are defining a DCT as an automatic.

I think the term you are clawing for is what Top Gear calls a "track-day" car. I would agree that a hot-hatches in general and the CTR in particular would fall into that group. On that point we agree.

But keep in mind that the Focus and GTI offer a DCT, and they are most assuredly a track-day hot-hatch. A DCT, remember, you defined as a type of automatic. I don't disagree, but I think it's more correct to call it a hybrid.

Returning to the CTR, the tech has improved greatly in the last few years. That means, unless you are driving a WRX, the distinction between a Track-day car and a DD is becoming blurry. Looking at the CTR interior, this is a very livable car. If the comfort switch actually does something this could indeed be a tollerable DD depending on your circumstances.

Personally, I wouldn't want to drive any stick in LA traffic. But I also wouldn't want to have a daily commute in LA, even if I had a Tesla. For me, I don't have a daily commute, and I don't live in LA. I have an Oddy for hauling people and stuff, and I'm into TSD rally's and Autocross, so this car might be a great second car/toy for me.
Sponsored

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
@Browncoat3000 & @xjoshuax89 , both of you are correct, re: DCT

"A dual-clutch transmission, (DCT) (sometimes referred to as a twin-clutch transmission or double-clutch transmission), is a type of automatic transmission or automated automotive transmission. It uses two separate clutches for odd and even gear sets. It can fundamentally be described as two separate manual transmissions (with their respective clutches) contained within one housing, and working as one unit. They are usually operated in a fully automatic mode, and many also have the ability to allow the driver to manually shift gears in semi-automatic mode, albeit still using the transmission's electro-hydraulics."

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
As mentioned earlier, the DCT/CVT won't be offered in the Si or CTR. That is consistent with Ford's treatment of the ST and RS. Both Honda and Ford have given similar reasoning. The DCT, while quicker, is less engaging than a well engineered 6MT. And it takes away from the manufacturers' vision of what the driving experience should be.

CAFE standards prevent mass production of these types of cars. So I think the niche trims will continue to enjoy the 6MT until sales/demand indicate otherwise.

johnyeah183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L with HS; 2006 SAAB 9-3 V6 Aero
Vehicle Showcase
What's the 2nd button on the right column? It looks like a suspension button to me. So damping adjustment maybe?

I know the 1st one is start-stop button that's not available in US cuz god knows why and the 3rd one is ECON button. AND, i know the UK version also has headlight washer which is not in US version either.

Honda Civic 10th gen Our live photos of Civic Type R Prototype and Hatchback from Paris Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 10.39.01 AM

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's the 2nd button on the right column? It looks like a suspension button to me. So damping adjustment maybe?

I know the 1st one is start-stop button that's not available in US cuz god knows why and the 3rd one is ECON button. AND, i know the UK version also has headlight washer which is not in US version either.

Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 10.39.01 AM.png
Consensus is that it's the suspension mode selector.

I noticed in a video there are about 5 buttons where the VSA switch is on our cars. No idea what they all are either.

johnyeah183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Consensus is that it's the suspension mode selector.

I noticed in a video there are about 5 buttons where the VSA switch is on our cars. No idea what they all are either.
so im assuming the hatchback sport touring model got mechanical damping adjustment? then that's the only car in this segment offering this I think. (for under 30K) Im not sure if Focus ST is offering damping adjustment tho.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
so im assuming the hatchback sport touring model got mechanical damping adjustment? then that's the only car in this segment offering this I think. (for under 30K) Im not sure if Focus ST is offering damping adjustment tho.
That's a UK feature as is the auto stop-start. We aren't getting that good stuff.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One of the switches on the left lower dash is the VSA. What are the other 4?

captured from the Sunroof hatch video in another thread.

Honda Civic 10th gen Our live photos of Civic Type R Prototype and Hatchback from Paris image

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
lower mid one is headlight washer for sure
Top middle is for parking sensors (proximity sensors). Top right is VSA or at least traction control.
I can't make out the two left buttons to know wtf they are...

johnyeah183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Top middle is for parking sensors (proximity sensors). Top right is VSA or at least traction control.
I can't make out the two left buttons to know wtf they are...
lower left is Lane departure warning (which we have in US version), and lower middle is headlight washer

Honda Civic 10th gen Our live photos of Civic Type R Prototype and Hatchback from Paris Screen Shot 2016-10-03 at 1.56.28 PM