Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I live in LA. Does that ring a bell?
And I live near D.C. Anything else you would like to share? You seemed to have missed the point completely. The car is designed in a specific manner for a specific style of use. Type R is the performance version of the Civic. Its lightened has a "stiffened body with a specially tuned engine and upgraded brakes and chassis". You don't drop in an automatic in a performance car.

How many sports/performance cars usually come with automatic versus manual?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex 2006 and 2017
And I live near D.C. Anything else you would like to share? You seemed to have missed the point completely. The car is designed in a specific manner for a specific style of use. Type R is the performance version of the Civic. Its lightened has a "stiffened body with a specially tuned engine and upgraded brakes and chassis". You don't drop in an automatic in a performance car.

LA has the worst traffic in the United Stats. And yes I know about that the Typer R is the performance version of the civic. But what if I just don't want a manual. And i been doing my research and i have read that many people don't really like to deal with a manual car in traffic and i also read that it's a fast way to burn the clutch and that could cost a lot of money to replace.

GTi, Golf R, Wrx, Mustang, Camero, Frs/Brz, 370z, challenger, and many more that I can't think of right now.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You don't drop in an automatic in a performance car.

Not to derail the thread, but BMW, Audi, Lambo, and even Astin would disagree. BMW's M2 is significantly quicker with its auto, and all of the top cars have DCT's which are a hybrid type that simply performs better.

That doesn't mean they are as fun, that's a subjective call. :topic:

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Getting back to Paris, I noticed BBC Auto's summary didn't mention Honda at all. I found that extremely odd considering Britain's key role in Civic production.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Browncoat3000

Actually, they are luxury sport cars which is different from sport cars. Not to mention DCT are not manual.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LA has the worst traffic in the United Stats. And yes I know about that the Typer R is the performance version of the civic. But what if I just don't want a manual. And i been doing my research and i have read that many people don't really like to deal with a manual car in traffic and i also read that it's a fast way to burn the clutch and that could cost a lot of money to replace.

GTi, Golf R, Wrx, Mustang, Camero, Frs/Brz, 370z, challenger, and many more that I can't think of right now.
Once again sport car usage vs daily driver. DD is used for going back and forth to work. A sports car can be used as a DD but that's not the purpose it was built for. Sure you can use a Nissan GT-R to drive people around as an Uber driver car. Doesn't mean it will do very well because the purpose the car was designed for and the work it was meant to do does not fit with Uber driving.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
Once again sport car usage vs daily driver. DD is used for going back and forth to work. A sports car can be used as a DD but that's not the purpose it was built for. Sure you can use a Nissan GT-R to drive people around as an Uber driver car. Doesn't mean it will do very well because the purpose the car was designed for and the work it was meant to do does not fit with Uber driving.
Funny you should use that example... Last week my brother was in San Diego and used Uber... got picked up by a woman in a BMW M5. There is no single idea of what "should be." One person's perception is not the only perception.

Sports cars aren't the temporary, beat-you-up cars they used to be. In fact, because of their high-tech adaptive suspensions, they almost all have a comfort mode now, even Ferrari. They can absolutely be daily drivers for their wealthy owners... they probably have a better ride quality than the lowered Civics many of us have driven. And many of the new sports cars are self-shifting only, including every new Ferrari and Lamborghini, the NSX, the track-focused 911 GT3, to name a fraction.

The idea that a performance car can't be automatic is an outdated one, plain and simple. Whether Honda will offer an automatic R or Si in the future remains to be seen. But let's put a stop to the chest-beating over which is properly "hardcore." You're never going to prove that one is right or wrong.

Moving on.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Funny you should use that example... Last week my brother was in San Diego and used Uber... got picked up by a woman in a BMW M5. There is no single idea of what "should be." One person's perception is not the only perception.

Sports cars aren't the temporary, beat-you-up cars they used to be. In fact, because of their high-tech adaptive suspensions, they almost all have a comfort mode now, even Ferrari. They can absolutely be daily drivers for their wealthy owners... they probably have a better ride quality than the lowered Civics many of us have driven. And many of the new sports cars are self-shifting only, including every new Ferrari and Lamborghini, the NSX, the track-focused 911 GT3, to name a fraction.

The idea that a performance car can't be automatic is an outdated one, plain and simple. Whether Honda will offer an automatic R or Si in the future remains to be seen. But let's put a stop to the chest-beating over which is properly "hardcore." You're never going to prove that one is right or wrong.

Moving on.

Incorrect. For the price point at 60k+ sure, you make a point but at the price point of 30-35k you are wrong.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Browncoat3000

Actually, they are luxury sport cars which is different from sport cars. Not to mention DCT are not manual.
Wow, that is an absurd distinction to draw. And frankly a bit snobbish.

Where do you draw the line then? If I buy a pony with a leather interior and a Cobra package does it stop being a sports car merely because it now costs more than 35K? How about Aston's track-day Vanquish model that lacks everything except the absolute minimum equipment to be street legal, yet costs more than the net worth of several small countries?

But since you wanted to go there: the Miata, BRZ, WRX, Camaro, and Pony cars ALL offer automatic options.

The Camaro, when paired with Chevy's classic small-block, actually beat the vastly more expensive M4 in a head-to-head.

Also I specifically said that the DCT is a HYBRID transmission. That is a correct definition as it combines aspects of both a manual and an automatic.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, that is an absurd distinction to draw. And frankly a bit snobbish.

Where do you draw the line then? If I buy a pony with a leather interior and a Cobra package does it stop being a sports car merely because it now costs more than 35K? How about Aston's track-day Vanquish model that lacks everything except the absolute minimum equipment to be street legal, yet costs more than the net worth of several small countries?

But since you wanted to go there: the Miata, BRZ, WRX, Camaro, and Pony cars ALL offer automatic options.

The Camaro, when paired with Chevy's classic small-block, actually beat the vastly more expensive M4 in a head-to-head.

Also I specifically said that the DCT is a HYBRID transmission. That is a correct definition as it combines aspects of both a manual and an automatic.

Absurd distinction to draw? According to who's point of view? Just yours or the general consensus of drivers?

DCT is really more of an automatic system. You can argue til the cows come home that it is a hybrid but really it you can't define it in any terms of it being a manual and since its an automatic system that is operating the gears, its really more of an automatic. Mind you I actually love DCT but DCT is really just a fancy automatic rather than a manual.

Now getting on to the other points.

I think you are having some reading comprehension issues. Type R is specifically engineered for a specific type of use. It was meant for the racetrack. That is where the history of the Type R begins. In more recent times, it has been heavily tested and built for on the Nurburgring for its performance. The Type R was not designed with the idea of it being used as your DD going back and forth from work or going to the mall or grabbing some groceries. Now can it do that? It certainly can but that is not what it was meant to do. They are targeting a specific niche market and specific group of people. Yeah you have companies like Chevy and Mazda that make their "sport" cars with Auto and Manual but that is their purpose. Honda's purpose of designing and building the Type R is not the same as them.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex 2006 and 2017
Absurd distinction to draw? According to who's point of view? Just yours or the general consensus of drivers?

DCT is really more of an automatic system. You can argue til the cows come home that it is a hybrid but really it you can't define it in any terms of it being a manual and since its an automatic system that is operating the gears, its really more of an automatic. Mind you I actually love DCT but DCT is really just a fancy automatic rather than a manual.

Now getting on to the other points.

I think you are having some reading comprehension issues. Type R is specifically engineered for a specific type of use. It was meant for the racetrack. That is where the history of the Type R begins. In more recent times, it has been heavily tested and built for on the Nurburgring for its performance. The Type R was not designed with the idea of it being used as your DD going back and forth from work or going to the mall or grabbing some groceries. Now can it do that? It certainly can but that is not what it was meant to do. They are targeting a specific niche market and specific group of people. Yeah you have companies like Chevy and Mazda that make their "sport" cars with Auto and Manual but that is their purpose. Honda's purpose of designing and building the Type R is not the same as them.
So what you are trying to say that if i buy a sport/performance car, i can only have to use it in the track but not use it to take to work or any where i want.
Sponsored