Our live photos of Civic Type R Prototype and Hatchback from Paris

The_Fenix_2.0

Brett Bynes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 honda fit sport
Country flag
I am so happy to see a Type R that doesn't care what your opinions are... It is unapologetic and looks brutal... I love it!! I don't want a car that will cater to everyone and what they want... I don't want a car that says "hey, take me on the track but also grocery shopping later" I wanted a monster, something you can see and know its not like its kin... This has just the right amount of FUNCTIONAL additions like the giant spoiler with enough accented styling to bring it all together...

If you want a sunroof, get an Si. If you don't want the larger spoiler, get an Si. If you don't like the honeycomb on the bumper, get a coupe/sedan. If you don't like the flared fenders, get something else. This care does not want you to buy it. You do need this in your life though!
The absolute best way to sum up the Type R:headbang::respect:
Sponsored

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
I am so happy to see a Type R that doesn't care what your opinions are... It is unapologetic and looks brutal... I love it!! I don't want a car that will cater to everyone and what they want... I don't want a car that says "hey, take me on the track but also grocery shopping later" I wanted a monster, something you can see and know its not like its kin... This has just the right amount of FUNCTIONAL additions like the giant spoiler with enough accented styling to bring it all together...

If you want a sunroof, get an Si. If you don't want the larger spoiler, get an Si. If you don't like the honeycomb on the bumper, get a coupe/sedan. If you don't like the flared fenders, get something else. This care does not want you to buy it. You do need this in your life though!
Amen. The car should look at home on Suzuka circuit, not at your office parking lot.

weigle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'm on my third Civic, having just a month ago, picked up an EX-L. So I do like them alot. But, anyone who pays 40K for a Type R is wasting their money. Way too garish in appearance. No AWD, what gives Honda? STI's and RS's are going to run circles around this thing. Oh, and having to wait until 2018 to get one.

I guess the US market really doesn't matter all that much to Honda.

And remember, this is just my opinion. so, flame on.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm on my third Civic, having just a month ago, picked up an EX-L. So I do like them alot. But, anyone who pays 40K for a Type R is wasting their money. Way too garish in appearance. No AWD, what gives Honda? STI's and RS's are going to run circles around this thing. Oh, and having to wait until 2018 to get one.

First, it'll probably be low $30k's, since it's not AWD and not loaded with features.

Second, if it were AWD, it would not be a Type R, it would be just another STI/RS/MPS3 competitor - which would be cool, but what makes the Type Rs great is that they are light, they are hardcore, they feel like race cars, not GT cars or rally cars.

Now this is the first one with a lot of torque, that could screw up the game plan, I don't know. It could be more like the front-drive Focus RS, which was a bit of a handful. It will probably have a lot of torque mitigation techniques to cope with FWD.

Ukraineleo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Accord Coupe

The last gen Civic type R had a Nurburgring track time of 7:50:63, Subaru WRX STI has a track time of 7:55:00 :slap:

weigle2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
First, it'll probably be low $30k's, since it's not AWD and not loaded with features.

Second, if it were AWD, it would not be a Type R, it would be just another STI/RS/MPS3 competitor - which would be cool, but what makes the Type Rs great is that they are light, they are hardcore, they feel like race cars, not GT cars or rally cars.

Now this is the first one with a lot of torque, that could screw up the game plan, I don't know. It could be more like the front-drive Focus RS, which was a bit of a handful. It will probably have a lot of torque mitigation techniques to cope with FWD.
Front drive Focus RS? Did you really mean to say Focus ST?

Oh, and mitigation techniques equate to slowing the car down. Cracking the front tires loose in a high speed corner, is disastrous. I'll take AWD anytime in a small light car with over 300 HP.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Oh, and mitigation techniques equate to slowing the car down. Cracking the front tires loose in a high speed corner, is disastrous. I'll take AWD anytime in a small light car with over 300 HP.
How much of that 300hp are you putting down with an AWD setup vs FWD?

If I was running on a drag strip I'd love the AWD for launching the car... And in a normal circumstance I'd take AWD over FWD for a track with twisties... but something Honda has managed to do here is make the FWD car perform better than AWD on dry surfaces... Let's face it, none of us are racing in wet weather anyways... Most of us aren't racing on dry either...

Just my opinion on the matter... This is sorta off topic btw since this is about the unveiling of the design and not really about the driving characteristics of the car... Can we get back to the looks of this car please and save the beating of a dead horse for another thread?

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

The previous gen Focus RS, which we didn't get, was 300 hp, front drive. And many tuned it to 400 hp.

Nonsense, it just takes some driver skill to drive that much power in front drive. They race 350 hp front drive cars in the Touring Car series.

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
I was really hoping they would go with some fake vents in the doors and roof. Heck, just make the whole car one big wanking honeycomb panel. Very disappointing.
Too funny!

I guess it's now official. The cartoonish-looking vents are just as fake on the CTR as they are on the regular hatchback. Makes me hate them even more.

I suspect Honda will respond to our complaints the same way they did with the infamous Acura beak. :(

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
300hp+ at the wheels is certainly do'able on the street. You just have to remember that just because you have 300hp (or 4 or 5 or 600 or more), doesn't mean you have to use it all the time. Boost-by-gear is one trick you can use to maximize power in any given gear, especially if you're using a system that monitors the ABS signal and detects differences in rotation between the front and rear wheels and adjusts boost accordingly. I'm not sure whether the CTR employs any of these methods to maximize traction, but aftermarket solutions exist if not. I can say with confidence that if you can hook 500whp or more on the street in a Civic (will require drag radials at the very least), there is almost nothing that will be able to catch you on the highway... unless you happen to go up against a Porsche 918, LaFerrari, or McLaren P1.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
If I was 16 again I probably would agree with you.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag

I've had this conversation with many people that don't quite understand the niche for which this car is marketed. So I'll do my best to expand. Take it for what it's worth.

- The CTR should start around 31-33K and include the dual mode suspension and full chassis/interior treatment. That's a lot of car for the price, once the initial demand wears off.
- Keeping this car FWD puts it in a different SCCA class altogether. Like the ITR, Honda is positioning this car more for track over street use. In real world racing, for which this car is built, the CTR won't compete head-to-head with most RWD or AWD platforms (though enthusiasts still love to compare them).
- Surprisingly, the 9th Gen CTR outperforms the STI and RS on the circuit in dry conditions. But AWD still shines in the wet (and adds weight). The 10th Gen should be incrementally better, and is expected to retake top honors at major circuits like Nurburgring. The crown currently belongs to the Euro Club Sport by a very narrow margin.
- In terms of packaging and fuel economy, FWD is still 10-20% more efficient than AWD. Handling and balance are certainly different, and requires a good investment in chassis/tires to overcome. But like VW, Honda has become quite adept at making a well balanced FWD chassis. That said, everyone here is well aware of the advantages of AWD/RWD over the alternative.

Last edited: