Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Recently, I have noticed, when at a stop light, other drivers in the lane(s) next to me would not pull up to the line.
Instead, they would be 1/2 or even almost 3/4 car length's back.
Like I said, didn't really notice this at all until recently -- I can count three or four times just within the last few days.

It's not like I'm driving a Type-R, or some overly "riced" out Civic (oh, and I encountered a stereotypical one at a local McD) ...just a regular looking WOP Civic Hatchback ... for the most part.
I've kept it mostly clean -- no decals / banners, aero components (aside from stock), aftermarket exhaust, etc.
Only thing you would notice immediately would probably be the wheels/tires, OEM extended tailgate spoiler, mudflaps.
Even those mudflaps are piano/gloss black to match the piano black trims on the car, and not red / blue / white.

There aren't much owners with Civic Hatchbacks in my area, too...most of them are Sedan / Coupes.
Not sure if that is a possible reason, too.

Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
A lot of people leave big gaps & if you're next to them usually they're looking at a cell phone or looking in laps, probably at a cell phone. When the light turns green they don't notice it. There should be unmarked police cars just watching for these idiots & issuing tickets.

A big gripe is these spaced out cars frequently block left turn lanes. You can't get into the turn lane because the cars in the straight ahead left lane are blocking the turn lane. If these idiots closed up the gaps maybe more cars would make it through on a left green arrow.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Most drivers know the first vehicle through after a light change is really just "the canary in the coal mine" - testing for yellow/red light runners.
Most of us now even stop before the stop line and wait a second or 2 after the light changes to green before moving..
Leaving a gap of 5-10 feet to the vehicle in front of you when stopped gives you maneuvering room for when the distracted driver 3 or 4 cars back rear-ends someone.
Both actions have saved my bacon numerous times in the past 60 years.

Last edited:

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They're checking out that sweet hatchback rear end. :D

OP
OP
Vic_L

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
A lot of people leave big gaps & if you're next to them usually they're looking at a cell phone or looking in laps, probably at a cell phone. When the light turns green they don't notice it. There should be unmarked police cars just watching for these idiots & issuing tickets.

A big gripe is these spaced out cars frequently block left turn lanes. You can't get into the turn lane because the cars in the straight ahead left lane are blocking the turn lane. If these idiots closed up the gaps maybe more cars would make it through on a left green arrow.
I never bothered to look back, and see if those drivers are actually distracted.
They don't appear to be distracted -- like the time I encountered this yesterday; the guy kind of gunned it at the light change too.

Most drivers know the first vehicle through after a light change is really just "the canary in the coal mine" - testing for yellow/red light runners.
Most of us now even stop before the stop line and wait a second or 2 after the light changes to green before moving..
Leaving a gap of 5-10 feet to the vehicle in front of you when stopped gives you maneuvering room for when the distracted driver 3 or 4 cars back rear-ends someone.
I get your point, and I do the same with the 1 or 2 second delay after the light changes green.
We get some people who run the red light on the rare occasion.

At least over here in B.C. we are taught to leave a couple feet of space between you and the car ahead -- rough "rule of thumb" is far back enough so you see where tire makes contact with the road. Whether you follow that or not is a different matter. I get a little annoyed myself when people come up too close on the rear view mirror, almost like riding on your bumper.

My example is both cars are the very first car in both lanes.
But this isn't just when I am at the front of the lane...it could be in the middle, or at the end.
I am sitting...say...in the left lane, and the next to be would be in the right lane. They would be 1/2 ~ 3/4 card lengths back.

Honda Civic 10th gen Other Drivers Keeping a Distance Away at Stop Lights Scenario_1

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I agree you should make sure it's safe to proceed. And you should leave a gap in front of you while stopped. My gripe is sometimes, IMHO, these gaps are very excessive. Sometimes very few cars are able to get in the left turn & make the green arrow. This obviously reduces traffic flow because fewer cars were able to go.

Of course part of the problem is all those left lane drivers, In IL you're supposed to keep to the right except when passing. If you're in the left lane you're supposed to move over if someone is behind you. It's all written out in the Rules of The Road. Sometimes I see 5 or 6 cars all lined up & driving in the left and they are not passing anyone.

End of rant.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Left-laners are another issue but you're not ranting, we all just want to live another day.

alias Igme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo 156, Honda Civic (1.5t hatchback)
Country flag
They are giving you a head start .:drive::drive:. Turns out too many sleeper cars in your area.
Just kidding :nixon:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Usually people do this when they for one reason or another don't want to be looked at. This might be general (they are doing something stupid in the car) or directed at the specific occupants of another car that they may have some issue with. They obviously need a denser window tint.

For example a car in front of me on a one-lane road is driving extremely slowly for miles. When the road splits into two lanes I pass in the right lane and while passing I look intently whoTH is the odd driver and to see if she is using the phone. Then he stops on the red light way before the line to prevent me looking at him again. Sometimes I will also stop even with him to frustrate his silly effort.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i really wish other drivers would stop like that, instead of squeezing between lanes and smoking out of their damn widow a few cm from me.....

Honda Civic 10th gen Other Drivers Keeping a Distance Away at Stop Lights mmmm

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
If I was in WHITE car in the left lane, (or left turning lane) I would stop about 1 car length short of the line. because some idiot coming from the right and turning left, could cut the corner and hit my front.
I'd let the guy on my right (in the red car) hopefully pull forward to the line, and he can be my shield !!!

Last edited:

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
If I was in WHITE car in the left lane, (or left turning lane) I would stop about 1 car length short of the line. because some idiot coming from the right and turning left, could cut the corner and hit my front.
I'd let the guy on my right (in the red car) hopefully pull forward to the line, and he can be my shield !!!
If you're in a left lane that has a left-turn-on-green-arrow only light, you have to make sure you trigger that light. I understand most systems use inductive loops in the pavement & the vehicle has to be stopped over them. more or less, in order to trigger the left arrow light. While you don't have to be centered over the loop, i have no idea how far off the vehicle can be & still have the system detect it. I have read that some motocycles have problems due to their small size.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
If you're in a left lane that has a left-turn-on-green-arrow only light, you have to make sure you trigger that light. I understand most systems use inductive loops in the pavement & the vehicle has to be stopped over them. more or less, in order to trigger the left arrow light. While you don't have to be centered over the loop, i have no idea how far off the vehicle can be & still have the system detect it. I have read that some motocycles have problems due to their small size.
Good point .. but at some local crossroads here, the stop lines seem to be way too far forward, and cars turning left in front of you can come really close - and it only takes one turning idiot on a cell phone to ruin your day.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i really wish other drivers would stop like that, instead of squeezing between lanes and smoking out of their damn widow a few cm from me.....

mmmm.jpg
But you're driving in China where honking and lane-cutting are just norms. I'm not sure I can survive driving for 5 minutes there even though the steering wheel is on the correct side.

Sponsored