Options for cars in Taiwan?

VarmintCong

Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 6MT Sport hatch (now 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
Anyone know a good website or anything for cars in Taiwan? We might have to move there for a couple years and will need a car. Has to be big enough for family, so a Golf or Focus is probably fine but Fiesta is too small (not having seen one in person).

Would love to try something fun that we can't buy here, like a Suzuki Swift Sport or something. Can't be a GR Yaris or anything expensive unfortunately. :)

Advertisement

yamazaho

First Name
Ken
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2021 BB Type R
Country flag
Anyone know a good website or anything for cars in Taiwan? We might have to move there for a couple years and will need a car. Has to be big enough for family, so a Golf or Focus is probably fine but Fiesta is too small (not having seen one in person).

Would love to try something fun that we can't buy here, like a Suzuki Swift Sport or something. Can't be a GR Yaris or anything expensive unfortunately. :)
Which city are you moving you, if you don't mind me asking? I am Taiwanese and I used to live in Kaohsiung (second largest city in Taiwan and it's in the South of Taiwan), and it's not hard to find used car dealers in most big cities. If you are moving Taipei City, there is this dude's shop called "小施汽車商行" in New Taipei city that SEEMs pretty legit. The shop owner has his own YouTube channel so feel free to look it up for his videos.

Owning cars in Taiwan is not a "cheap" matter. If you have one, you need to pay yearly tax based on the size of your engine. Fuel in Taiwan is not cheap at all, and finally having a space to park it can be quit expensive (considering you may be renting an apartment or a house). Anyways, I hope you enjoy your journey there man, I LOVE TAIWAN!!!!

OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
Which city are you moving you, if you don't mind me asking? I am Taiwanese and I used to live in Kaohsiung (second largest city in Taiwan and it's in the South of Taiwan), and it's not hard to find used car dealers in most big cities. If you are moving Taipei City, there is this dude's shop called "小施汽車商行" in New Taipei city that SEEMs pretty legit. The shop owner has his own YouTube channel so feel free to look it up for his videos.

Owning cars in Taiwan is not a "cheap" matter. If you have one, you need to pay yearly tax based on the size of your engine. Fuel in Taiwan is not cheap at all, and finally having a space to park it can be quit expensive (considering you may be renting an apartment or a house). Anyways, I hope you enjoy your journey there man, I LOVE TAIWAN!!!!
Thanks, someone finally responded to my thread! :) We're going to Hshinchu for 2-3 years. Will need something to fit our two kids, so 5 door hatch makes the most sense.

I'm told you can rent a car, but not sure you have much choice.

We found the SUM website that has used cars - damn they're expensive. Do they negotiate on new or used cars in Taiwan?

yamazaho

First Name
Ken
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2021 BB Type R
Country flag
Thanks, someone finally responded to my thread! :) We're going to Hshinchu for 2-3 years. Will need something to fit our two kids, so 5 door hatch makes the most sense.

I'm told you can rent a car, but not sure you have much choice.

We found the SUM website that has used cars - damn they're expensive. Do they negotiate on new or used cars in Taiwan?
Scooters are actually the primary transportation that most Taiwanese do, typically these days 125c.c. engine are very common (100c.c. engine can be cheaper). They are friendly with gas consumption, cheap on tax and can get you through small ally and streets. And the biggest advantage is easier to PARK (legally or not-so-legally LOL). So yeah that's something you may want to look up first.

SUM is one of the largest used car dealer in Taiwan, and yes negotiation is a MUST. I will be very cautious when looking for used car market as some cars are imported from USA and a lot of times they can have damages that you have no way to know. Carfax is not really a thing in Taiwan and you will need to look over the body panels for screws that showed signs that were previously removed, and also need to check the engine blocks for signs of leaks yourself. I would rent a car for a few months and see if owning a car is something that you MUST have for the 2-3 years that you are planning to stay. Like I said, owning a car in Taiwan is nothing like here in the US. After all the whole island is about 5% the size of state of Texas.

Toyota Corolla Altis is probably one of the THE MOST POPULAR small cars you will find in Taiwan, LOL just my observation.

OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Reaction score
Car(s)
Country flag
Scooters are actually the primary transportation that most Taiwanese do, typically these days 125c.c. engine are very common (100c.c. engine can be cheaper). They are friendly with gas consumption, cheap on tax and can get you through small ally and streets. And the biggest advantage is easier to PARK (legally or not-so-legally LOL). So yeah that's something you may want to look up first.

SUM is one of the largest used car dealer in Taiwan, and yes negotiation is a MUST. I will be very cautious when looking for used car market as some cars are imported from USA and a lot of times they can have damages that you have no way to know. Carfax is not really a thing in Taiwan and you will need to look over the body panels for screws that showed signs that were previously removed, and also need to check the engine blocks for signs of leaks yourself. I would rent a car for a few months and see if owning a car is something that you MUST have for the 2-3 years that you are planning to stay. Like I said, owning a car in Taiwan is nothing like here in the US. After all the whole island is about 5% the size of state of Texas.

Toyota Corolla Altis is probably one of the THE MOST POPULAR small cars you will find in Taiwan, LOL just my observation.
Thanks, that’s a big help. My wife doesn’t want to ride a scooter and we need a car to take the kids around so we’re definitely getting one. We do have a local friend who can help us shop.

I wanted to get a 1 series hatch cause we can’t get that here, but it is too expensive. Some interesting options are a Mazda 3 hatch, Ford Focus ST Line or a 6mT Suzuki Swift Sport.

Advertisement

Advertisement