Options For A Non-Cable USB Connection To Note 9 For 2018 Honda Civic?

bmbb1234

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Country flag
So i want to connect my note 9 to the cigarette lighter USB port WITHOUT using my original cord. Can this be done via a wireless connection to that cigarette port to the note 9 and if so, recommendations please?
Thanks.
Brad
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've seen some wireless Android auto dongles on Amazon. No idea if they work. You have to HondaHack your head unit and install an APK for the dongle to work. Allegedly. The battery drain would probably be huge so you'd have to plug in your phone anyway.

Can I ask why you won't use a cable?

OP
OP
bmbb1234

bmbb1234

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Country flag
I've seen some wireless Android auto dongles on Amazon. No idea if they work. You have to HondaHack your head unit and install an APK for the dongle to work. Allegedly. The battery drain would probably be huge so you'd have to plug in your phone anyway.

Can I ask why you won't use a cable?
I use a cable but it sticks out over my radio screen while in the OEM clec holder I have for my note 9. I need to find a 90 degree cable that is short and can tuck behind the radio screen and attach to USB port. Right now I have to use the original cord for android auto to work!

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I use a cable but it sticks out over my radio screen while in the OEM clec holder I have for my note 9.
Hmmm I see. Cable is always better than wireless to me, for these types of things. Can you use a long cable or a 45 degree extension cable to kind of route it around the console? I'm just guessing here as I don't know exactly what that mount looks like or where it is.

OP
OP
bmbb1234

bmbb1234

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Country flag
Hmmm I see. Cable is always better than wireless to me, for these types of things. Can you use a long cable or a 45 degree extension cable to kind of route it around the console? I'm just guessing here as I don't know exactly what that mount looks like or where it is.
Here is what I have!

Honda Civic 10th gen Options For A Non-Cable USB Connection To Note 9 For 2018 Honda Civic? 61xDjvmLoXL._AC_SX425_

Honda Civic 10th gen Options For A Non-Cable USB Connection To Note 9 For 2018 Honda Civic? 51xDZ2azS1L._AC_SL1000_

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Here is what I have!

61xDjvmLoXL._AC_SX425_.jpg

51xDZ2azS1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Ohhh I like that! Fits in well. So how about a long 45 degree tip cable? Run it off to the right, down the side of the console and into the USB port from the passenger side. Then just kinda tuck it away somehow, with a cable clip or something. A long cable is more stable, keeps your phone charged, and way cheaper than a wireless dongle + Hondahack.

OP
OP
bmbb1234

bmbb1234

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Country flag
Ohhh I like that! Fits in well. So how about a long 45 degree tip cable? Run it off to the right, down the side of the console and into the USB port from the passenger side. Then just kinda tuck it away somehow, with a cable clip or something. A long cable is more stable, keeps your phone charged, and way cheaper than a wireless dongle + Hondahack.
I like that idea! Can you give me links and/or pics of that cable you are talking about?
Brad

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Have you had ANY problems with using this cable and android auto?
I don't use it or any other third party cable so I can't say unfortunately. I just plug the original cable for my phone in and leave it in the cubby so I don't need a long or unusual cable.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
google or check XDA developer forums for "Head Unit Reloaded", I've used it on my 2017 Civic with Pixel 4XL for wireless android auto. It will establish a connection, but the connection was not stable. However that was about a year ago, so it might have improved

IByrdl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Si Sedan
Country flag
I use a cable but it sticks out over my radio screen while in the OEM clec holder I have for my note 9. I need to find a 90 degree cable that is short and can tuck behind the radio screen and attach to USB port. Right now I have to use the original cord for android auto to work!
Have you had ANY problems with using this cable and android auto?
Get these Aukey Right angle USB-C cables. Aukey makes high quality cables, not quite Anker quality, but Anker doesn't make right angle ones. You'll need the OEM USB-A extension, since the right angle USB-A end won't fit with the little door in the way. Works great with my massive Pixel 2XL and the same phone holder. The cable rests behind the screen and doesn't get stuck since it's braided. I also put the magnet further towards the bottom of my case than the center to get the phone up higher.

Honda Civic 10th gen Options For A Non-Cable USB Connection To Note 9 For 2018 Honda Civic? IMG_20200823_135046
Sponsored

Last edited: