MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
Still loving my Si, after all this time. I got it last September with 15k miles on it.
It’s currently over 33k. (I know.)

I treat it like it royalty, but I absolutely enjoy driving the fuck out of it. I’ve enjoyed every mile I’ve spent in this car.
But there are a number of upgrades I would like to make that I need more information and feedback on.

My priorities have changed. I was considering a turbo upgrade for a long time, and I have decided ultimately NOT to go that route.

Instead, I would like to optimize my performance on a mostly stock engine power platform. I wanna know if my ideas will essentially help the car run better, “healthier”.

I tried to think of upgrades that essentially HELP the physics in my car.

For example, cold air intake, downpipe, exhaust… all contribute to airflow.

Would an intercooler upgrade help a stock Si run cool?

Are water injectors available for the Si? Would they also help with performance and fuel efficiency? (Like they do on the M4?)

Other than thorough and regular maintenance, what other upgrades are “good” for my car?
Sponsored

Deleted member 51112

If you want better physics then a reputable tune using a Ktuner will likely give you 90% of what you can achieve with a stock turbo. Better intercooler if you run it hard in a hot climate and/or do a lot of town driving and/or make highway pulls back to back or wanna hot lap it on a track. Exhaust is for sound on these cars, pretty much the same with a CAI, but if you do tune the car you'll pick up a negligable amount of power with a CAI (but not much with stock turbo). You won't benefit from water injection on a stock turbo without a tune, and for the cost you won't really get much out of that with a tune actually. Probably best thing you can do is run a high quality sticky tire on a lighter wheel and make sure you use high quality 93 octane gas if you aren't already doing that.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a basic combo for a fun Si daily.

Upgrade your tires and rear sway bar. Get a KTuner from Phearable or TSP along with one of their free tunes.

Maybe a PRL Cobra CAI.

I think that would be a great start.

Vegas Viking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Here's a basic combo for a fun Si daily.

Upgrade your tires and rear sway bar. Get a KTuner from Phearable or TSP along with one of their free tunes.

Maybe a PRL Cobra CAI.

I think that would be a great start.
Agreed. I've done all of these except the CAI. Also, I can't begin to describe how much I love my @AWE exhaust. Caught the installation techs at Discount Tire gathering around and marveling at it last week.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I agree, the tune is really all that's needed for a daily.

If you drive hard, you may eventually want to grab the rear ARB, better tires, FMIC, and/or mildly upgraded front brakes.

The intake and exhaust don't really change the dynamics of the car all that much - just more of a personal preference.

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
I'm in a similar boat but I've chosen the 100% CARB legal route.

Totally recommend getting a ktuner or hondata(my choice due to carb), most bang for the proverbial buck.

I'd upgrade the I/C & Radiator(+hoses) just for the extra cooling capabilities it provides.

Suspension upgrades are good/bad mods. My Integra handles great...on silky smooth backroads or the track. But I need to play dodge the bump/pothole when driving her. On my FC1 I'm going with the tightening the chassis/suspension up rather than lowering. I was thinking about going with lowering springs but after looking at the options out there have decided not to. Unless I can make a two-spring setup work I don't think I'm gonna get the kg/mm:stroke ratio I'd want for the si.
Go for every brace/whatever you can but don't do just front or rear. Otherwise you can get very unbalanced/unfavorable handling till its balanced.

But you've pretty much done most of the basics so you're on a good track.

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
If you don't drive 10/10 all the time i would recommend a tune and a rear motor mount to start with.

I cannot understate how floppy the transaxle is from the factory, upgrading the dogbone makes a massive difference in predictability when shifting hard and keeps the transaxle from flopping in stop and go traffic.

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've invested more than I care to admit into my Si.. If I could do it all over again, I'd get these mods:
  • Ktuner + TSP/Phearable tune
  • 27Won/PRL CAI
  • FMIC w/o pipes
  • Acuity Stage 2 +2020 R shifter
  • Perrin RMM inserts
  • Better Tires
  • RSB + endlinks
I feel like my Acuity stage 3 shifter is overkill for DD. Same goes for charge pipes and TIP on the stock turbo.

I think my RV6 DP/FP was kind of unnecessary also and changed the engine feel where I feel like a custom tune is necessary...

I only upgraded to CTR retrofit clutch because I saw a member selling an unused one for a great deal, but I never slipped on stock clutch with CAI+Tune.

Good luck on your build and learn from our mistakes/experiences!

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
all great recommendations above, honestly just throw whatever you want on it. Once you do go big turbo/e85 however I think that's where it kind of crosses the line in terms of a reliable and easy to drive daily driver

i think FBO + a clutch is the best combo for daily driver. Most important mod would either be ktuner/FMIC

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My mod list:

• K&N 69-1504TR SRI Typhoon Intake
  • TSP Stage 1 PLUS - K-Tuner Tuned
  • Mishimoto Intercooler + Piping kit.
  • GReddy GPP DD-R Exhaust
  • Brembo Genesis retrofit
  • Whiteline Springs
  • Whiteline RSB 22mm
  • Whiteline Front Camber balljoints

After reading horror stories going big turbo and e85, I also opted not to further push the envelope and am pretty happy with the car overall as it is. If i were to redo it again I'd probably get a different exhaust or no exhaust at all. (Drone at 3k got annoying but don't care enough to pay back for stock exhaust)

Clutch is definitely recommended.

Last edited:

Chris_19Si

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
There are several people that claim the clutch is good on a stage 1 tune, but if you have to upgrade the clutch, consider a front sway bar while you have the subframe out. Much easier to change at that point, and it makes a big difference on the street and autocross. I have Eibach pro kit coil springs and Eibach front and rear swaybars. This setup made for a nice ride and can still clear most roadkill and snow. I did the +1 degree front ball joints to get more camber and that made a big difference. Pull the front strut pins and grab a little extra camber while getting an alignment to adjust the toe. The alignment is a must to get back the balance. The front of my car feels fantastic over stock, both on the track and the street. A stage 1 tune plus suspension and you'll have a great reliable ride. Everything else is pretty good stock until you put the car on a big track, then you'll need brakes. I think tires are obvious. I use BFG gforce comp 2 a/s. Great in all weather.

racerguy180

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Acura Integra GS-R 2001 Acura Integra GS 2014 Acura MDX Advance
Country flag
I'll 2nd the brakes if u go on a higher average speed track the brakes will let you down.

Laguna & Sears Point are my 2 local tracks so upgraded brakes are almost a requirement.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
I've always advised to work on upgrades from the ground up, which means:

- Grippier all-season or preferably summer tires (don't wait to wear out the Goodyears, they last a dull lifetime)
- Lighter wheels - plenty of sub 20lbs 18" wheels out there. Lighter wheels and better tires will aid in acceleration, braking, and cornering
- Folks wanting more about power can go with a tune, intake, and/or downpipe at this point
- Folks wanting better handling can add a thicker rear sway bar, springs, and/or components like Whiteline's Anti Lift Kit
- Brakes will wear down quicker with either of the above two options so that's next. A good set of pads, ss brake lines, and fluid will be perfect for any kind of street use given that rotors are in decent condition. BBK isn't a need unless you are tracking the car hard
- Cooling mods - Intercooler upgrade, and larger front upper grille for street cars. Add radiator, oil cooler, vented hood, heat blankets, and other components for Tracking
- This can fall anywhere but if you enjoy the act of rowing your own gears, Acuity's add-ons for your OEM shifter are excellent upgrades. If you want the full monty, then their fully adjustable shifter is world class!

Hope that helps. There's much more, but here's a base guide to making your car more enjoyable for you :)

WF19

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan Aegean Blue Metallic; 2003 Pontiac Vibe (just sold)
Country flag
Along with a tune, I definitely recommend the CTR shifter with Acuity upgrades (spring, rocker arm and base bushings). You can get it directly from Unity Performance or order separately from Acuity and an online Honda parts source.
Sponsored