Optimal pressures for different tires? (265/35/18)

joecritch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black FK8
Country flag
Hi folks,

Does anyone what I should adjust the tire pressures to from the default (35 Front / 33 Rear) after changing from factory tires to a 265 / 35 / 18 tire? (If adjust at all)

This is for spirited road driving, not track use.

cheers
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Why not just keep it at the stock psi setup?

OP
OP

joecritch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black FK8
Country flag
@gtman That may well be the answer. I guess I'm curious whether different size tires need different pressures?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
@gtman That may well be the answer. I guess I'm curious whether different size tires need different pressures?
Here's a little tidbit that puts tire pressure in the proper perspective...

What is the correct tire pressure
I see this question all the time on auto forums and I see lots of horrible advice. If you want to know what is the correct tire pressure, just look on the decal inside the driver’s door pillar or on the driver’s door. NEVER fill your tires to the maximum listed on the site of the tire. THAT’S DANGEROUS.

Even if you’ve installed a different size tire, follow the tire pressure on the decal. Why?

Because the weight of your car didn’t change just because you changed to a larger tire. A larger tire needs more air volume, but it doesn’t need higher pressure. Weight of the vehicle and handling are what determines air pressure, not tire size.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline 2009, Si Coupe 2019
Country flag
Here's a little tidbit that puts tire pressure in the proper perspective...

What is the correct tire pressure
I see this question all the time on auto forums and I see lots of horrible advice. If you want to know what is the correct tire pressure, just look on the decal inside the driver’s door pillar or on the driver’s door. NEVER fill your tires to the maximum listed on the site of the tire. THAT’S DANGEROUS.

Even if you’ve installed a different size tire, follow the tire pressure on the decal. Why?

Because the weight of your car didn’t change just because you changed to a larger tire. A larger tire needs more air volume, but it doesn’t need higher pressure. Weight of the vehicle and handling are what determines air pressure, not tire size.
I hear what you are saying, but the tire will also list out weights and what pressure to run.

I admit, hate running at stock/sticker PSI. It feels way to squishy to me. I generally end up about 6 lbs over the sticker, which often is about 38-40. I checked my stock SI tires and they go up to 5X (forgetting if it was exactly 50 or something like 52).

Car feels and drives much better in that 38-40 range.

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
problem is that tire are not the same across the brand... i remember a goodyear eagle f1 gs3d tire needed at least 43-44psi otherwise sidewall (inner and outer) would get chewed up quickly, i mean i got even wear (normal daily driving) at 45psi... best pressure is in my opinion to fill them to pressure that is written on doors, and then checking once in a while if wear is even and just go from there, there are just to many factors, type of driving, cargo load, passengers and so on :)

Panda-R

First Name
Hiroshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I hear what you are saying, but the tire will also list out weights and what pressure to run.

I admit, hate running at stock/sticker PSI. It feels way to squishy to me. I generally end up about 6 lbs over the sticker, which often is about 38-40. I checked my stock SI tires and they go up to 5X (forgetting if it was exactly 50 or something like 52).

Car feels and drives much better in that 38-40 range.
Tires list the maximum pressure they can handle, not the recommend pressure for your car or any specific car or any universal pressure recommendation. Use the decal or inflate to preference and watch your tires abnormally wear.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Darn it! Was hoping this was done at post #5. The Internet is a wonderful thing. So many expert opinions.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tires list the maximum pressure they can handle, not the recommend pressure for your car or any specific car or any universal pressure recommendation. Use the decal or inflate to preference and watch your tires abnormally wear.
Sighs - ok i am not trying to beat a dead horse. But if you look up a tire- you can find pressure ratings based on weights. Since, as you stated, different tires can go on different cars. So yes, they dont print exact pressure and weight ratings on each tire. They print he min and max. But each tire does have a listing of optimal pressure vs weight. Granted this probably has more do to with hauling and towing. I add some air when towing with my truck if they are little on the low side. Makes a huge difference in how it handles.

If we only ever went by what was written in the door panel - you would have some issues putting modern tires on your 1950s classic car.

wintercast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Darn it! Was hoping this was done at post #5. The Internet is a wonderful thing. So many expert opinions.
I mean what did you expect.. if someone asks about what octane to use or what pressure to set their tires, of course the dead horses come out.
Sponsored