Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The max turbo compression ratio starts dropping at anything past 32F, so technically ā€˜as low as possibleā€™. Note that itā€™s a ceiling and not a target, so that doesnā€™t mean youā€™ll actually lose boost past 32F. The effects are most noticeable once you cross about 100F, which usually is unavoidable at ambients above 74F. Ideally/realistically you want it in the 70-90F range but thatā€™s very difficult in the summer.

Thereā€™s various stuff you can do to help. Gold tape, blankets, ceramic coating, water/meth injection, higher flowing front grille, better intercooler, the list goes on.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Thatcurtisguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The max turbo compression ratio starts dropping at anything past 32F, so technically ā€˜as low as possibleā€™. The effects are most noticeable once you cross about 100F though, which usually happens at ambients above 74F.
How do I keep the IAT down?

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Okay I'll wrap everything lol, what about an extra fan on the Rad? Fan underneath the hood to push the heat away?
Before you start going crazy like that, you'd be better off just getting a vented hood. There is only so much you can do to control temperature, it is always going to get hot especially daily driving. Track cars run vented hoods, headlight intake ducts, cut up bumpers, etc... I don't think adding another fan would help let alone where would you put it.

OP
OP

Thatcurtisguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Before you start going crazy like that, you'd be better off just getting a vented hood. There is only so much you can do to control temperature, it is always going to get hot especially daily driving. Track cars run vented hoods, headlight intake ducts, cut up bumpers, etc... I don't think adding another fan would help let alone where would you put it.
This is for drag racing, I need to keep my temps down before staging.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
This is for drag racing, I need to keep my temps down before staging.
Makes sense, I like drag racing it is hard to keep temps down with this car. That downpipe puts off a ton of heat into the intake and inlet area after each run. The car is really consistent though at putting down power and pretty consistent down the strip even with a bit of heatsoak. I'd get a vented hood, maybe go for a grill swap, and then push the car around until its your turn to stage.

The HKS and C&R intercoolers dissipate heat the quickest due to tube and fin. I find them shedding heat mid pull compared to bar and plate like my old PERRIN.

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If youā€™re looking to drop temps the most on the strip your best options are an intercooler sprayer and running water or meth injection. Idling and sitting still will heat soak you no matter what you do, so you have to get an ā€˜activeā€™ cooling solution to really beat the heat.

OP
OP

Thatcurtisguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
If youā€™re looking to drop temps the most on the strip your best options are an intercooler sprayer and running water or meth injection. Idling and sitting still will heat soak you no matter what you do, so you have to get an ā€˜activeā€™ cooling solution to really beat the heat.
Okay I'll get an intercooler sprayer and wrapping won't hurt either. I'll bring a bunch of bags of ice was well ?

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Okay I'll get an intercooler sprayer and wrapping won't hurt either. I'll bring a bunch of bags of ice was well ?
Youā€™re gonna need the tune set up to not reduce boost too cause the boost reductions are based on the intake temps, not post intercooler. Thereā€™s also no commercially available intercooler spray kit, although I may work on one.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
As stated above, you want the air temp as low as you can get it. 0Ā° would be nice, but isn't going to happen.

The other thing you want to look at is oil temperature. You want that to be in the 210Ā°-220Ā° range for the best power.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Youā€™re gonna need the tune set up to not reduce boost too cause the boost reductions are based on the intake temps, not post intercooler. Thereā€™s also no commercially available intercooler spray kit, although I may work on one.
I thought that was the whole point of having windshield jets. Easily repurposed.

Learn2turn:)

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW FK8, 2005 S2000, 1995 Miata
Country flag
Please do. I have a few designs I've tossed around for AutoXing and it would be fun to banter the idea.
Sponsored