Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I have a 2019 si with a ktuner and tsp stage 1, no other mods at this time; Just wondering what the optimal iat, and ect temps I should be at, and what temp do we need to keep under for best performance.
Also what are good ranges for maf to be at for best performance, I know if you have a race maf you need a tune other wise will run too lean.
Does anyone have any numbers they can share such as iat, ect, maf for stock, vs intercooler or other bolt ons that made a difference
THANKS YOU GUYS ARE SUPER HELPFUL
Sponsored

Thanks_Enjoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Sedan
Country flag
You asking air coming in or passed via intercooler? I dont see any point in IAT other than it is warm cool out. The deviations between that and IAT2 is what i looked at

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
ECT is roughly 185ish when not driving aggressively
IAT and IAT2 can vary widely by many factors it’s not a one answer type of thing. The proper answer I guess anyone can give is the colder it is the better it is. But it will always be above ambient temps it’s the nature of the beast with compressing air and hot engine bays, but the stock intercooler does get heat soaked relatively fast.

Thanks_Enjoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Sedan
Country flag
ECT is roughly 185ish when not driving aggressively
IAT and IAT2 can vary widely by many factors it’s not a one answer type of thing. The proper answer I guess anyone can give is the colder it is the better it is. But it will always be above ambient temps it’s the nature of the beast with compressing air and hot engine bays, but the stock intercooler does get heat soaked relatively fast.
Its actually simple answer. You answered it

OP
OP
Beach civic si

Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
You asking air coming in or passed via intercooler? I dont see any point in IAT other than it is warm cool out. The deviations between that and IAT2 is what i looked at
so how much lower should the iat2 be than the iat , in order to see if you need to upgrade intercooler.
so If its 90 outside what would the ideal iat2 be? maybe 10 degree above ambient temp?
or is the the difference of iat and iat2 that's important

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so how much lower should the iat2 be than the iat , in order to see if you need to upgrade intercooler.
so If its 90 outside what would the ideal iat2 be? maybe 10 degree above ambient temp?
or is the the difference of iat and iat2 that's important
IAT: is reading the air temperature before the intercooler
IAT2: reads the air temperature after the intercooler

(Driving the car aggressively) -NOT actual numbers these are only theoretical ball park numbers..
if it’s 90 degrees out IATs will be 90-110, IAT2 with a PRL intercooler (Because stock IC more than likely already heat soaked lol) puts me at around 110-140

If your driving the car aggressive, you need a new IC lol 2-3 pulls and it’s pretty close if not already heat soaked.

OP
OP
Beach civic si

Beach civic si

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
IAT: is reading the air temperature before the intercooler
IAT2: reads the air temperature after the intercooler

(Driving the car aggressively) -NOT actual numbers these are only theoretical ball park numbers..
if it’s 90 degrees out IATs will be 90-110, IAT2 with a PRL intercooler (Because stock IC more than likely already heat soaked lol) puts me at around 110-140

If your driving the car aggressive, you need a new IC lol 2-3 pulls and it’s pretty close if not already heat soaked.
so how do you know if it is heat soaked?
I'm new to turbos so trying to learn it all, a lot of information out there

so at what point would you consider getting an upgraded intercooler?
lets say its 90 degrees outside, and I do a few pulls after car is warmed up, what am I looking at to determine if upgrade is needed?
whats too high and what should they be at in those conditions.
do I look at how fast the temp comes down?

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
so how do you know if it is heat soaked?
I'm new to turbos so trying to learn it all, a lot of information out there

so at what point would you consider getting an upgraded intercooler?
lets say its 90 degrees outside, and I do a few pulls after car is warmed up, what am I looking at to determine if upgrade is needed?
whats too high and what should they be at in those conditions.
do I look at how fast the temp comes down?
This is after a 10min drive, 1 pull going to 75 a pull going to 60 and a 10min drive back home. Outside temps currently are 62° and raining. I have a PRL intercooler and a PRL Race CAI. In this case Hondata reads IAT2 as IAT1 and IAT1 as IAT2 so they’re flipped. Why? Not sure lol

Honda Civic 10th gen OPTIMAL AND MAXIMUM IAT AND ECT RANGES DFB3ABC5-9379-420C-A53E-C5C514EB5E02

Last edited:

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Here’s a video Mishimoto did about their IC compared to the stock IC

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
For IAT2, I notice at around 90-95+ degrees F is when timing is being pulled. If weather permits and you're temps stay under that range you'll be in the optimal temp for performance.

Just know, as others have stated, the stock intercooler will struggle to keep IAT2 temps under that range for power.

ECT normal operating temps is 174-185. If you start to exceed this with just normal driving, you'll want to check your coolant levels.

I can't comment on maf as that's not something I normally check my datalogs for.

EkSean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP FC1
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My ect is usually at 179 and only goes up to about 181 when sitting in a drive thru. My iat after intercooler is usually 10-15 degrees above ambient when driving and 20 or so when just idling.

I would get an intercooler regardless. The ones in these cars are a joke.
I’m FBO on e40 btw.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Yes, a good performance IC makes a huge difference. This is a snapshot of a drive I did last summer, the ambient temp was around 103F (it was a warm day), I am around 5K RPM. The IC is a Mishimoto Performance Intercooler with stock charge piping

Honda Civic 10th gen OPTIMAL AND MAXIMUM IAT AND ECT RANGES 1586360544455

As you can see, although IAT is in the 140's, IAT2 is between 111F and 113F, a huge difference. After putting in the Mishimoto, I never had heat soak again, even on hotter days

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
176-179f on normal days. Low 200s on super hot days sitting in traffic. Highest I've seen was 224f on a track day, and backed down for a cool down lap and then drove around the parking lot for a bit with the hood latch pulled to let in more air.

That's with an upgraded IC, and piping. These engines run hot! What really helps is a high flow grille which allowed me to run more laps at the next track day and keep ect in the low 200s

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
176-179f on normal days. Low 200s on super hot days sitting in traffic. Highest I've seen was 224f on a track day, and backed down for a cool down lap and then drove around the parking lot for a bit with the hood latch pulled to let in more air.

That's with an upgraded IC, and piping. These engines run hot! What really helps is a high flow grille which allowed me to run more laps at the next track day and keep ect in the low 200s
You want to see hot, run a BMW M5 around the track and you'll see hot! The E60 runs 10W-60 because it gets so hot. The oil is so thick, you have to warm it up before you start driving and even then you have stay light on the throttle till it reaches normal temp
Sponsored