rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
Just realized that the rear heated seats were on high today, I’ve never had any rear seat passengers and the only time I messed with those switches was once after I bought the car about 1.5 years ago, I didn’t even know they were toggle switches and probably thought they had to be switched on every time you wanted to use them (like how the front works). Or maybe they just got switched on one day when I was cleaning the inside of the car, that would have only been a few months ago ?

I don’t pay that close attention to the gas mileage and I’m pretty heavy on the throttle but my MPG does seem to be down a few MPG from what I used to get.
Sponsored

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having them on will not change anything because they are only active if they have someone sitting on it...same in front....you can turn them on but they won't get hot unless the sensor know there is a butt on it.

OP
OP

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Having them on will not change anything because they are only active if they have someone sitting on it...same in front....you can turn them on but they won't get hot unless the sensor know there is a butt on it.
Wiring diagram doesn't show any pressure sensor in the rear seat.

Honda Civic 10th gen Opppps 1616111355495

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wiring diagram doesn't show any pressure sensor in the rear seat.
weird, there are in the front...i don't have heated rear seats but i figured it would be the same for safety purposes...or maybe the rear heaters are less powerful than the front?

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Is it even true there occupant sensor affects the seat heater in the front? I've pre warmed the seat many times for my girl.

LoneWolf77

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
My seat warmers turns on automatically with the remote start. You sure there's pressure sensors in the front?

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Is it even true there occupant sensor affects the seat heater in the front? I've pre warmed the seat many times for my girl.
well, it's COLD up here, and i've let my car warm up for like 10 minutes with the seat switch at 3 and the seats weren't hot...and then once you sit on it the heating really start...and after 2 or 3 min of that they get hot...
There probably is an auto low heat...or ''pre-heat'' because when i go pick up mcdonald i turn it on and put the food on it because it get like ''a very little warm'' (or maybe it's the food heating the seat) but never hot...seat won't reach hot temps until you sit on it for a while...both my coupe were like that.

Cause if you turn them on by mistake under florida sun in a black coupe and close the door and leave for a while and they get really hot you might find your car seats on fire? ...maybe...but we will never know.

It does seem to get hot faster if you ''pre-heat'' them though that i would agree i kind of noticed that too.

OP
OP

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There is a thermistor to prevent over heating. The front seats have pressure sensors for air bags, doubt it affects the operation of the seat heaters. From a google search I see that the my seat warmer doesn’t work unless I’m sitting on it is usually just the effect of the heating elements not effectively transmitting the heat to the surface of the seat without the compression of the seat layers from the weight of a person.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I think the heat just escapes into the air unless you are sitting on the seat, therefore it doesn't feel very warm. Once you're sitting on the seat the heat gets transferred to your butt.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is a thermistor to prevent over heating. The front seats have pressure sensors for air bags, doubt it affects the operation of the seat heaters. From a google search I see that the my seat warmer doesn’t work unless I’m sitting on it is usually just the effect of the heating elements not effectively transmitting the heat to the surface of the seat without the compression of the seat layers from the weight of a person.
That would make sense too, thanks :)