Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
Hello all, so I’m looking at upgrading from my 2016 civic ex-t to the a 2020 civic si. I haven’t decided on sedan or coupe quite yet but am having a ton of trouble deciding if the HFP Package is worth the extra $4,000 or not.
Here’s what it includes:
- HFP badging
- HFP front lip
- HFP side skirts
- 19in black HFP wheels
- Summer tires
- lug nuts
For $4,000, I can see the value. Especially since the suspension is basically the same from the type r from my research. (Please correct me if wrong) Here are my current issues though, does the originally parts go with the car too? Like if I wanted the originally wheels for a winter wheel/tire setup. Other then that, I plan on buying Option Lab R706 wheels pretty early into having the car and also plan on modifying the car quite a lot. However, I really like the look of the car stock with the HFP Package and it would allow me to not have to buy side skirts or a front lip. I’m contemplating it really just for the suspension, side skirts, and front lip. What do you guys think? (thanks for all opinions)
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't care about the HEAVY 19s, then I wouldn't waste $4k on the kit. The stock Si suspension is pretty good and the HFP kit doesn't lower it any more than the stock Si height. You could always put a lip and side skirts on later, too. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
Alj888

Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
If you don't care about the HEAVY 19s, then I wouldn't waste $4k on the kit. The stock Si suspension is pretty good and the HFP kit doesn't lower it any more than the stock Si height. You could always put a lip and side skirts on later, too. Just my 2 cents.
Yea, you kinda confirmed what I was thinking. Thanks for the input!

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
For 4k you can buy a nice light forged set of wheels with R compound summer tires and have enough left over for a set of snow tires on steel rims.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
IMO the value isn't there.

800-ish - HFP Lip kit (install it yourself) Worse case, pay someone to install the front lip.
600-1200 bucks for a decent set of wheels and swap over the stock tires.
450 - KTuner w/ two step basemap.
And that leaves you with 1600+ dollars for suspension, or anything else you want. (Coilovers, intake, inter-cooler, etc)

Also, I believe they charge you for installing said HFP kit.

Honda_RacerX

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
way too much money.

heres what i did that is a lot better alternative:
- bought hfp side skirts on ebay for 450
- bought eibach pros for 225
- type r rear sway bar for 125 on ebay
- tanabe fron upper strut tower brace forn130
- GY summer f1 tires that came with the car because of hondas happy little accident on the 2019s

the heavy ass 19s suck and theyre ugly. the hfp suspension doesnt even lower the car which is ridiculous.

save your money thats way too expensive.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It's all down to preference. The deciding factor has to be how the Si behaves with the HFP suspension. If you autocross or track (not drag) and want a better handling Si with cosmetic upgrades without ever having to worry about warranty, then it may be worth it. HFP package may actually increase resale value compared to having a bunch of aftermarket parts.

It's a similar argument for spending 36k on a CTR when you make an Si perform similar or better with the difference in pricing. Some prefer to get a car off the assembly as is and drive the car as envisioned by the manufacturer. Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I've always been into clean JDM or USDM builds for Honda's, keeping everything original.

MaTtKs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I went for it with the purchase of the car, mainly due to it being all Honda parts installed by Honda technicians. You can also get the dealership to work with you on the parts and install pricing along with the car, which they’re very inclined to do in order to get the car out the door.

HFP parts purchased with the car are also under warranty.

That said, it is pricey compared to throwing on eBay lips and skirts. ‍♂

*Edit: Read your OP again. If you’re already planning on wheels, just go with the lip/side skirts if you really want them. The stock 2020 wheels also look great in my opinion.

Last edited:

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
It's all down to preference. The deciding factor has to be how the Si behaves with the HFP suspension. If you autocross or track (not drag) and want a better handling Si with cosmetic upgrades without ever having to worry about warranty, then it may be worth it. HFP package may actually increase resale value compared to having a bunch of aftermarket parts.

It's a similar argument for spending 36k on a CTR when you make an Si perform similar or better with the difference in pricing. Some prefer to get a car off the assembly as is and drive the car as envisioned by the manufacturer. Maybe I'm a bit biased, but I've always been into clean JDM or USDM builds for Honda's, keeping everything original.
For autoX you want to run the factory suspension in order to remain in a competitive class. (*HFP is not a factory option in the US. It is a dealer add on so you cannot run it in the stock class.)

If you want to run in a class that allows upgraded suspensions, you want something better than HFP setup. So it is a lose-lose in that sense.

OP
OP
Alj888

Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
Appreciate all the opinions guys! I’m thinking here is what I am going to do, I will most likely be buying a 2020 Civic Si Sedan in either Platinum White Pearl or Ralleye Red. Haven’t made my decision on color quite yet as I’m also considering Crystal Black Pearl. Here’s what I do think I’ve figured out, the HFP Package May be a great buy for people who want to leave the car completely stock besides a tune or what not but for me I won’t need it.
I’m gonna go with a set of Option Lab R716 with some Michelin Pilot Super Sports as a warmer weather setup and keep the stock wheels for a winter tire set up. Then, I’ll skimp out on coil overs for now as I’ve heard the adaptive dampers with lower springs have almost no body roll and are very tight. Looking into my options I’ll either go Skunk or Eibach. Then, I should be able to buy the HFP side skirts and front lip without purchasing the whole package. I have big plans for this car way beyond just what I’ve listed above.
Now, I just need to decide whether I want to go Si and have a ton of fun modding, go Accord Sport 2.0t and have the extra luxury, or go Type r and forget about everything besides performance (even tho the car is still practical and comfortable). See my price range is pretty open, I just want to make sure I really get what I want. Which ever I choose, it will be a manual, in most likely ralleye red or white, and will get many many upgrades for performance in all categories so I’ve really been doing my research. I’ve driven all the cars, my thoughts have been very different in each. The type r feels like a beast. The steering is perfect, the seats, the acceleration, the constant pull to redline, the looks, personally, I love everything about that car. However, it loses some creature comforts which the other two have like heated seats and not looking like a hot boy every-time I go to drive. The si, feels very well packaged for the price, handles very well, but in my opinion, is very underpowered. The great thing about the si is the community and support behind it. I can’t even begin to imagine the amounts of power people are going to be squeezing out of these little 1.5t engines in just a couple years. Highest I’ve seen so far is in the 500’s! Last but not least, the accord, which feels quick, with a tune is unstoppable, and has a modding path slowly revealing itself that looks quite promising! To me, the accord looks the most grown up, and has the best overall package imo. Hmmm, lots to think about. I’ll keep everyone updated as I make my decision!

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag

As a used vehicle kept stock, that $4k additional investment for HFP, is maybe worth an extra $1-2k at most when selling privately and half that on trade-in, if anything. If you want a car slightly modified by the factory, it's worth considering. But with the wheels being heavier you're paying for a glitzy performance decrease. Side skirts, front lip, rear lip, ground effects, etc. frequently get damaged or rip/fall off due to weather, wear-and-tear, and other random crap.

Get a good set of lightweight wheels and grippy tires. Save the stockers for winter use or just put them aside for if you plan to sell or trade the car in.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
The HFP suspension is not comparable to the Type R suspension. Like most others would tell you, it is probably not worth the money. If you take that $4k and invest it in your own wheel, suspension, and performance upgrades, you'd have a beast of an Si.

OP
OP
Alj888

Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
The HFP suspension is not comparable to the Type R suspension. Like most others would tell you, it is probably not worth the money. If you take that $4k and invest it in your own wheel, suspension, and performance upgrades, you'd have a beast of an Si.
Might be the plan! I appreciate the response and opinions from everyone! Very helpful in making my decision.

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
As a used vehicle kept stock, that $4k additional investment for HFP, is maybe worth an extra $1-2k at most when selling privately and half that on trade-in, if anything. If you want a car slightly modified by the factory, it's worth considering. But with the wheels being heavier you're paying for a glitzy performance decrease. Side skirts, front lip, rear lip, ground effects, etc. frequently get damaged or rip/fall off due to weather, wear-and-tear, and other random crap.

Get a good set of lightweight wheels and grippy tires. Save the stockers for winter use or just put them aside for if you plan to sell or trade the car in.
If you spend 4k on HFP and can sell the car for 2k more due to HFP, that'll mean you only spent 2k on rims, wheels, spoilers, and suspension all installed which isn't a bad deal at all. Compared to shelling out 2k on aftermarket parts that wouldn't give much of a return, if at all.

Ex: '00 Si completely stock is worth significantly more than one with a bunch of bolt-ons.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you spend 4k on HFP and can sell the car for 2k more due to HFP, that'll mean you only spent 2k on rims, wheels, spoilers, and suspension all installed which isn't a bad deal at all. Compared to shelling out 2k on aftermarket parts that wouldn't give much of a return, if at all.

Ex: '00 Si completely stock is worth significantly more than one with a bunch of bolt-ons.
I wasn't talking about bolt-ons. A modified car is worth "market value minus the cost of returning to stock" when trading in, and unless you find a buyer looking for a modified car, pretty much the same logic applies there too. That's why most people part out and return to stock.

But the factory HFP kit, while arguably a Honda optional upgrade, is overpriced and underspec for what can be called a performance upgrade. It's an appearance kit. Sure, maybe you can argue for an additional $2k on trade - but it's gonna be a best case miracle to pull that off. Instead, buy a good set of lightweight forged wheels and slap good tires on them. When you sell the car, put the stock wheels back on and sell the lightweight forged wheels separately. That's what I did with my WRX. I kept my Volk TE37's and put the stock WRX wheels back on. Then later, I sold the TE37's.
Sponsored