Opinions please on two deals

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
The Alcantara steering wheel of the 2020 is not going to hold up well long term. The alcantara on my door arm rest is showing signs of wear and I don’t even grip that area with my hands, my elbow just rests on it and it looks very weathered after a year.
Same boat here, but that is actually oil stain from your hand. just rub it with wet towel or baby wipe, it will go back to black. Hope this helps ?

Back to topic - i would get a brand new car unless there are more than 10 grands in saving. HTH ✌
Sponsored

Fenrir07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mazda 3
Country flag
I came close to buying a Used 2019 but backed off the idea when I realized finding a New 2020 at MSRP would be more worth it, especially if I have more choice on color.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Great answers all, really needed some input from owners. I am very leary of the Alcantara stuff, but I guess I can always replace the steering wheel and bag. Sounds like the 2020 is the way for me to go. It really makes me pause why someone would buy this specific car and only put 1000 miles on it, sounds fishy.
Probably bought it then got furloughed.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Probably bought it then got furloughed.
Or a baby, or bought it without the spouse's knowledge. Or like one guy on here bought it and didn't like that when he took it to the racetrack and took out the seats the warning lights were on because of the safety disconnects. Or maybe because they wanted a 2020? Or cause the beat on it :)

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I recently purchased a 2020 and didn't think I'd really use or enjoy the Honda sensing but I actually like it a LOT.

Also, the 2019 and down have dropped in price since the 2020 was released with all the tweaks so unless the deal is very good I'd just call around until you find a 2020 at MSRP.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I recently purchased a 2020 and didn't think I'd really use or enjoy the Honda sensing but I actually like it a LOT.

Also, the 2019 and down have dropped in price since the 2020 was released with all the tweaks so unless the deal is very good I'd just call around until you find a 2020 at MSRP.
I don't think 2017-2019 have dropped in price. Just did a nationwide lookup and I saw a dozen cars with 15k+ miles sitting at $33k+

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think 2017-2019 have dropped in price. Just did a nationwide lookup and I saw a dozen cars with 15k+ miles sitting at $33k+

While its not a huge drop, they have come down some. Part of it is they are now another model year older and now the car is offered with a bunch of small "fixes"

Either way this car still holds its value extremely well hence why I said unless the deal is very good just spend the extra few grand and get a 2020. Finding any color other the BB at MSRP is fairly easy right now or it was a a month ago before I purchased mine.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
2020 has a revised radiator, shifter, and some nicer interior trim. It also has new 2 piece front rotors and reduced pedal travel. I wouldn’t buy a car that’s potentially been beat on for 1000 miles to save 3 grand. That’s a purely personal decision though.
I bet you drive your CTR pretty hard at times. I bet we all do. These cars are intended to be thrashed and so long as the engine isn’t being overrevved, you really aren’t risking anything. I haven’t really even seen oil consumption issues with this engine either.

I’ve been in the Honda game for two decades now, only ever dealing with their sportiest engines. (b series, k series, etc). They’re bullet proof and handle abuse like nothing else.

I understand the inherent concern when dropping 35 large, but the odds of something being seriously wrong with the car are pretty low.

At the end of the day, personal financial situation should dictate more than mileage.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Or a baby, or bought it without the spouse's knowledge. Or like one guy on here bought it and didn't like that when he took it to the racetrack and took out the seats the warning lights were on because of the safety disconnects. Or maybe because they wanted a 2020? Or cause the beat on it :)
Or sales manager brought it in, drove it because he/she can, and tossed it up for sale afterwards. This is normal in the dealership business. Many sales people get to drive various cars as an incentive for selling cars, though something like the CTR would be for the upper dealership management.

Really, who knows.

You could also pull the carfax, find the name of the registered previous owner and look them up to see if you can find out why they sold.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I bet you drive your CTR pretty hard at times. I bet we all do. These cars are intended to be thrashed and so long as the engine isn’t being overrevved, you really aren’t risking anything. I haven’t really even seen oil consumption issues with this engine either.

I’ve been in the Honda game for two decades now, only ever dealing with their sportiest engines. (b series, k series, etc). They’re bullet proof and handle abuse like nothing else.

I understand the inherent concern when dropping 35 large, but the odds of something being seriously wrong with the car are pretty low.

At the end of the day, personal financial situation should dictate more than mileage.
These are all great points. The type R was the most expensive car I’ve ever bought before. It’s a personal decision, and for me the savings didn’t make sense.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A new car for the same money works if av available. I wound up getting a 2018 in my preferred color- Aegean Blue- with 13,800 miles for $ 35,000. Not great, not terrible per Car Guru. And at least I got to test drive it. Dealers here still are not allowing test drives on new CTR's. Even when I bought my '17 SI from them 3 years ago. This was a CPO with an 8 year 120,000 mile extended warranty. I added tire and rim coverage for obvious reasons. New 2020's are still often going for $5K over list in AZ -and selling- and that means I was looking at $43K vs. $35K. So not sorry for buying a 2018. Plus, I like better brakes, volume knobs and bushings, but don't want a slew of nannies and any extra weight. Or an Alcantra steering wheel. Which was a really bad idea.
Interesting note: One of the established car vlogs on You Tube recently ran a 2020 CTR on the same course, same driver, etc. and had a slower, not faster time than the lap set with a 2017 or '18 CTR. So much for suspension, steering and braking improvements. Not saying there is no difference or that the 2020 feels the same, just that it didn't result in a better lap. Or even as good. Weird. Yes, track conditions, etc. all effect time. But still.
In two months and 2,000 miles I have only had the 1st to 2nd grind happen twice. Which is two times too many. If Honda was going to change something, that would be the place to start. As is, you have to be slow and deliberate on your shift. Double clutch, etc. Instead of anti-stall, maybe they should have worked on anti-grind.
Sponsored