Opinions on Sound System Set Up *now installing*

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I am really jealous of this and now it makes me want to put my 2 amps + sub in then replace all of my door speakers... I'd be using a JL 12W3
Sponsored

Derstn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX
Hey man, do you have any pictures of your firewall penetration for the power cable? I'm going to run mine this week and I'm struggling to find a spot.

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Hey man, do you have any pictures of your firewall penetration for the power cable? I'm going to run mine this week and I'm struggling to find a spot.
Not op, but there's an unused grommet right above the hood release cable grommet. Follow the hood release cable along the driver's side engine bay and feel around. From the cabin you might have to pull the padding back a little to find it. But it was super easy. I popped the grommet out, drilled through the plastic and reused when I ran my 4 guage power wire. Looks like op used a different spot.

Derstn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX
Not op, but there's an unused grommet right above the hood release cable grommet. Follow the hood release cable along the driver's side engine bay and feel around. From the cabin you might have to pull the padding back a little to find it. But it was super easy. I popped the grommet out, drilled through the plastic and reused when I ran my 4 guage power wire. Looks like op used a different spot.
I'm not finding any other grommets around the hood release cable going to the fender. I guess I'll have to keep digging.

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm not finding any other grommets around the hood release cable going to the fender. I guess I'll have to keep digging.
I grabbed a pic from the cabin. This is in the sport hatchback, would have figured it to be the same, but possibly not. Anyway, here's a quick shot. The hood release is the smaller grommet on the bottom with the black cable. My 4 gauge power cable (blue) is going through the previously unused grommet just above that.
Honda Civic 10th gen Opinions on Sound System Set Up *now installing* ZDGtfk2

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Weird. Was that buried under the insulation? Here's a shot from my sedan and I'm wondering if there was a grommet there and I just didn't know it, or if the sedan doesn't have it:

(to clarify, I already had this pic in my phone - if I'd gone out to take it for this, I would've just looked for the grommet under the insulation while I was there lol)

Honda Civic 10th gen Opinions on Sound System Set Up *now installing* IMG_20161222_1959143

Last edited:

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Weird. Was that buried under the insulation? Here's a shot from my sedan and I'm wondering if there was a grommet there and I just didn't know it, or if the sedan doesn't have it:
It might not be there. I did have to pull the insulation back a bit. It was so convenient, it'd be a bummer if the sedan didn't have it at all.

Derstn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX
It might not be there. I did have to pull the insulation back a bit. It was so convenient, it'd be a bummer if the sedan didn't have it at all.
That may just be it. I have a sedan and definitely don't see or feel another grommet in that area. I tried to get my power wire through the hood release grommet, but I don't think 8AWG with a thick insulator is going with the grommet still able to fit in the hole. I'll have to keep working at it to find a better place on the sedan.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I tried to get my power wire through the hood release grommet, but I don't think 8AWG with a thick insulator is going with the grommet still able to fit in the hole. I'll have to keep working at it to find a better place on the sedan.
Yeah, my red wire in the pic is 10ga and getting the grommet back in place once I'd run my wire through it was a real pain, and it wouldn't 100% go back in place right.

I'm planning to drill through the firewall in the empty area where the clutch assembly would be for installing the 2ga I'll need for the next step of my install. I hate drilling holes but I think it's the only way.

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, my red wire in the pic is 10ga and getting the grommet back in place once I'd run my wire through it was a real pain, and it wouldn't 100% go back in place right.

I'm planning to drill through the firewall in the empty area where the clutch assembly would be for installing the 2ga I'll need for the next step of my install. I hate drilling holes but I think it's the only way.
Here's a question. When done could you do a DIY guide? I may attempt to install my JL amp and sub myself, but have 0 clue on where to connect the wires behind the radio for the sound signal to go to the JX500/1 inputs (no LOCs are needed as the amp has it built in).

Thanks

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
I may attempt to install my JL amp and sub myself, but have 0 clue on where to connect the wires behind the radio for the sound signal to go to the JX500/1 inputs (no LOCs are needed as the amp has it built in).
It's easy in the sedan and coupe because you can tap into the wires going to the rear deck speakers for signal. But since your rears are in the doors, not so easy. I'd recommend spending the $10 for a day's worth of access to techinfo.honda.com so you can get the wiring diagram for the headunit connector for the hatcback. That way you can be 100% sure you're tapping into the right wires coming from the radio.

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's easy in the sedan and coupe because you can tap into the wires going to the rear deck speakers for signal. But since your rears are in the doors, not so easy. I'd recommend spending the $10 for a day's worth of access to techinfo.honda.com so you can get the wiring diagram for the headunit connector for the hatcback. That way you can be 100% sure you're tapping into the right wires coming from the radio.
All I would need is the colour of the wires for the rear speakers + the amp remote which I'm guessing is white and blue.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
All I would need is the colour of the wires for the rear speakers + the amp remote which I'm guessing is white and blue.
I have the wiring diagram for the sedan at home I can post later. But not 100% sure the colors will be the same for the hatch.

OP
OP

bajaivan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, 2013 F250 Diesel
Country flag
Sorry for he way late response. I ran my 1/0 next to the large boot behind the brake pedal. This is the only location such a big cable would fit through. This is only temporary since I believe my best options is to drill a hole into the firewall and add a grommet large enough.

I just installed the new box yesterday. I can't even explain what a big difference in sound between the cheap box and the custom box is. It's everything I wanted my system to sound like and more. The highs, mids and bass are all there. Now the only thing that bothers me is not being able to adjust any of the basic EQ settings while listening to music through Android auto. I might have to install an external EQ.

Here is s shitty pic of the new box. More pics to come later.

Honda Civic 10th gen Opinions on Sound System Set Up *now installing* Sub box
Sponsored