Opinion require pls! (Long Post)

R&Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW Golf R & 2018 Honda Civic CVT LX Hatch
Country flag
Hello all

I am looking into some of your opinion on the up coming purchase. This is going to be a long post. So please bear with me. First, I am not usually the type who ask for opinion. I usually do my research and do what I like. At the end of the day, I will be the one driving and enjoying it. But this time I honestly can't really decide. Hence, I am seeking out advise from you enthusiast out there.

Just a little back ground on the vehicle that I had/has or family owned. Most of them are Honda and Volkswagen. I currently own 2016 Golf R, 2001 Honda Civic DX and wife has 2015 Jetta 1.8T. Past 2012 MK6 GTI, 02 Honda Accord, 08 RDX, 09 MDX, and other brands that is not relevant.

Now, the problem I have is that I can't decide if i want a Sedan or Hatchback. Please let me explain. I am not debating if I require extra room, hatchback vs sedan, the space or that or speed (My Golf R will take care of that) The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that I am on a budget. For example, back in 2012, went and got a new GTI. Initially, I wanted a base model with DSG, next thing you know, I added this and that and went over the budget (Base GTI 32K, Walked out at 39K). Fast Forward 4 years late, same thing when shopping for my wife's Jetta, went in looking for a base 2.0 then next thing you know, walked out with a mid-trim 1.8T (Upgraded Engine & other add-on). So the story is that I suck at keeping a budget when shopping a new car. So this time, I HAVE TO STICK WITH THE $$$. And not go over :) Oh and Please keep in mind I am in Canada. So everything is in CAD.

Here is my dilemma: I set a $25K budget. With that budget, I do have a few cars that I can look for. For example, Mazda3 Sport, Corolla, Imperza, and of course the Civic. Now, I am not asking for the opinion on the other brand. I can't decide should I get a Hatchback or Sedan if I end up with the Civic (which I most likely will), and the 2.0 vs 1.5T.

1) Civic Sedan. The sedan starts at a lower price compare to the Hatchback. However, I personally perfer the 1.5T engine over the 2.0. So by the time the Sedan equipped with the turbo engine. Its already at $27.5K with out adding the block heater and remote started. So I will be ending up with a pice of $28.5K give or take without any negotiation. So that means I will have to settle with the 2.0 LX can potentially equipped with Honda sensing. That will be around 24.5 to 25.5.

2)Civic Hatchback. I will be able to get the base model LX for $25.5. So thats about 2 to 3K saving compare to to the sedan. However, with the hatchback, I am one of those who is worry about the aging look. I think the Hatchback is a lot more aggressive compare to the sedan but I do worry if I were to sell it, some might not like the styling of the Hatch. Too sporty & aggressive etc.

Another thing that I am little concern is that 1.5T turbo engine. I have my fair share of turbo engine and they are fount to have a bit more problem. And don’t get me wrong; I would prefer the extra power. But like mention before, I have my Golf R. But I do want to have something that is more reliable (Hopefully)

So what would you guys do if you guys were in my shoes? Again, keep in mind. First thing is the budget, second is it worth doing to turbo engine.

I might miss some details or information. If I miss any, I go apologize. And if you have nothing nice to say, well just keep it to yourself. I am writing this to hope it might help the next person who is in similar situation.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

vanscamps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
In the same position, looking at the same cars. We ended up ordering sport hatch with sensing, and now we wait till march/april for it to arrive.

Looked first at the impreza hatch, but we are financing and the finance rate for the impreza was 1.5-2.5 percent higher than Honda, and rate wasn't negotiable.

Didn't end up test driving Mazda 3, but found more value in the hatch with the safety tech / trim levels. They also don't have CarPlay which nice to have.

Those are the only hatches that I'd consider / in price range. Lexus CT200 looks slick but out of budget.

(Edit: Also in Canada)

huangd79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know what your market is, but $25.5 for a LX hatchback seems a little high. I got mine for $21.5 OTD in Los Angeles.

IcyRyce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'll trade you my Civic Sport Hatch (When it comes) for your Golf R. I'll drive up Edmonton (or you come to Calgary) and we'll make a trade ;).

But in all seriousness if you're gonna buy a civic and if you want the most for your dollar I would go for the Lx hatch. You get the power of the turbo and the practicality of a hatchback but you miss out on the convenience of remote start and push bottom start.

Martin Riggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Get a hatch sport model with whatever options you want. It gets the extra 5 hp, the wheels everybody wants, the interior is sharper with the red instead of the blue. It comes with the paddle shifters. I wish I knew all of this before I started the paperwork on my EX. Salesman..

OP
OP

R&Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'll trade you my Civic Sport Hatch (When it comes) for your Golf R. I'll drive up Edmonton (or you come to Calgary) and we'll make a trade ;).

But in all seriousness if you're gonna buy a civic and if you want the most for your dollar I would go for the Lx hatch. You get the power of the turbo and the practicality of a hatchback but you miss out on the convenience of remote start and push bottom start.
Lol Sounds like an awesome trade ;)

Thats what I am thinking, getting a LX hatch. But you can't get a remote starter for LX Hatch?

OP
OP

R&Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Get a hatch sport model with whatever options you want. It gets the extra 5 hp, the wheels everybody wants, the interior is sharper with the red instead of the blue. It comes with the paddle shifters. I wish I knew all of this before I started the paperwork on my EX. Salesman..
The Sport Model is definitely out of my price range. And the Sport model need premium gas. And I have one of those sitting at home already... And like mention, I have a Volkswagen Golf R, the extra 5hp at around 180 vs 300hp AWD with my R along with Paddle shifters with DSG. Night and Day lol :)

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
You are going from a Golf R to a Civic?

#WTF

OP
OP

R&Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are going from a Golf R to a Civic?

#WTF
No... I guess I wasn't clear enough. I am looking to replace my current 2001 Honda Civic DX with a new car since I drive a lot and other reason :)

Martin Riggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
No... I guess I wasn't clear enough. I am looking to replace my current 2001 Honda Civic DX with a new car since I drive a lot and other reason :)
Maybe I was not clear. Sport model is after LX. I'm not talking about sport touring.

IcyRyce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe I was not clear. Sport model is after LX. I'm not talking about sport touring.
Canadians get a different model line up for the hatch.

LX -23K
LX w/Honda Sensing -25k
Sport -27k
Sport w/Honda Sensing -29k
Sport Touring -31k

burtolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX T
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all

I am looking into some of your opinion on the up coming purchase. This is going to be a long post. So please bear with me. First, I am not usually the type who ask for opinion. I usually do my research and do what I like. At the end of the day, I will be the one driving and enjoying it. But this time I honestly can't really decide. Hence, I am seeking out advise from you enthusiast out there.

Just a little back ground on the vehicle that I had/has or family owned. Most of them are Honda and Volkswagen. I currently own 2016 Golf R, 2001 Honda Civic DX and wife has 2015 Jetta 1.8T. Past 2012 MK6 GTI, 02 Honda Accord, 08 RDX, 09 MDX, and other brands that is not relevant.

Now, the problem I have is that I can't decide if i want a Sedan or Hatchback. Please let me explain. I am not debating if I require extra room, hatchback vs sedan, the space or that or speed (My Golf R will take care of that) The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that I am on a budget. For example, back in 2012, went and got a new GTI. Initially, I wanted a base model with DSG, next thing you know, I added this and that and went over the budget (Base GTI 32K, Walked out at 39K). Fast Forward 4 years late, same thing when shopping for my wife's Jetta, went in looking for a base 2.0 then next thing you know, walked out with a mid-trim 1.8T (Upgraded Engine & other add-on). So the story is that I suck at keeping a budget when shopping a new car. So this time, I HAVE TO STICK WITH THE $$$. And not go over :) Oh and Please keep in mind I am in Canada. So everything is in CAD.

Here is my dilemma: I set a $25K budget. With that budget, I do have a few cars that I can look for. For example, Mazda3 Sport, Corolla, Imperza, and of course the Civic. Now, I am not asking for the opinion on the other brand. I can't decide should I get a Hatchback or Sedan if I end up with the Civic (which I most likely will), and the 2.0 vs 1.5T.

1) Civic Sedan. The sedan starts at a lower price compare to the Hatchback. However, I personally perfer the 1.5T engine over the 2.0. So by the time the Sedan equipped with the turbo engine. Its already at $27.5K with out adding the block heater and remote started. So I will be ending up with a pice of $28.5K give or take without any negotiation. So that means I will have to settle with the 2.0 LX can potentially equipped with Honda sensing. That will be around 24.5 to 25.5.

2)Civic Hatchback. I will be able to get the base model LX for $25.5. So thats about 2 to 3K saving compare to to the sedan. However, with the hatchback, I am one of those who is worry about the aging look. I think the Hatchback is a lot more aggressive compare to the sedan but I do worry if I were to sell it, some might not like the styling of the Hatch. Too sporty & aggressive etc.

Another thing that I am little concern is that 1.5T turbo engine. I have my fair share of turbo engine and they are fount to have a bit more problem. And don’t get me wrong; I would prefer the extra power. But like mention before, I have my Golf R. But I do want to have something that is more reliable (Hopefully)

So what would you guys do if you guys were in my shoes? Again, keep in mind. First thing is the budget, second is it worth doing to turbo engine.

I might miss some details or information. If I miss any, I go apologize. And if you have nothing nice to say, well just keep it to yourself. I am writing this to hope it might help the next person who is in similar situation.

burtolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX T
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all

I was looking at the same cars as you including Mazda 3. Test drove the Mazda and did not like it. Drove the civic sedan and then saw the civic ex-t coupe. Has everything except sensing and got it for 21,500. Love it. But definitely get turbo in any of the models.
Sponsored