Ontario Drivers with mods - Whats your experience with insurance?

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys, looking for some advice here regarding insurance.

A lot of us here modify our cars and enjoy doing it very much, myself included. However, I’ve come to the realization that my insurance company does not allow performance mods, which includes intakes, exhaust, tuners etc.. I’m posting here instead of on FB groups to maintain some anonymity.

I’ve kept my mouth shut for now, but I’m not sure how to approach the situation. Do I keep quiet about mods and risk them denying my claim if I get into an accident? Do I find another company that will allow mods at a reasonable price? Or am I just being paranoid and should just keep driving as if the question didn’t even come up? What’s everyone’s experience?

I pay a really good rate (30% discount through work) for my car, truck and house, which is why I’m hesitant to move or risk it, because I know my rates will jump. And I’ve read that companies that do allow mods generally charge more.

I guess I’m just looking for some insight before I officially decide to part my car out and sell it for something with more performance from the factory. Not to say I don’t enjoy the Si from the factory, but rev hang and other things would kill it for me if I had to revert to bone stock. I’m sure a lot of people do drive with their mods the way I have been doing, but after my insurance broker made it clear as day to myself, I’m hesitant to continue driving my Si modified.
Sponsored

JuiceStainD

First Name
Juice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 LX Sedan
Country flag
Do I find another company that will allow mods at a reasonable price?
Trust me, there’s no such thing as reasonable lol. Either insurance companies will deny you service or skyrocket your monthly. For me, I’ve just been quiet. Plus, drive cautiously and carefully with for 360° self awareness when you drive so you don’t land yourself in an accident resulting in getting insurance involved.

OP
OP
Deleted User 1886347

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Trust me, there’s no such thing as reasonable lol. Either insurance companies will deny you service or skyrocket your monthly. For me, I’ve just been quiet. Plus, drive cautiously and carefully with for 360° self awareness when you drive so you don’t land yourself in an accident resulting in getting insurance involved.
That’s definitely the route I want to take because I like my car a lot. I really don’t want to have to go back to stock. I’ve never been in an accident and I’m planning on staying that way lol.

I was figuring that insurance companies would be jacking rates up ridiculously high if I kept the mods. I’ll have to keep my minor lift kit on my truck quiet as well lol

v_HatchFk7

First Name
Vito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Country flag
yeah most definitely keep quiet lol . Last thing you want is to go boasting to them about all your mods and have the smile uncontrollably as they figure out a way to bury you alive in premiums. Agreed with above , drive with extra caution & responsibly you should be more than fine :nixon:

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
What's the rationale from them against mods? That you'll be a more dangerous driver, or that they don't want to pay for the additions if you wreck? It could be they don't want to do the extra work of pricing out and then trying to replace the mod.

OP
OP
Deleted User 1886347

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What's the rationale from them against mods? That you'll be a more dangerous driver, or that they don't want to pay for the additions if you wreck? It could be they don't want to do the extra work of pricing out and then trying to replace the mod.
Their rationale is that exhaust and intake = Performance mod, which would increase the risk of a collision because of high risk driving behaviour.

In other words, they associate mods with high risk drivers.

How it got brought up, was because they asked me if my truck had mods while I was adding it to my policy. I said no, and I followed up with “but do you guys allow mods on any vehicles?” And she flat out told me no, and gave the above explanation.

So I’m keeping my mouth shut. I’m a good driver, I don’t speed much and I just enjoy the car for what it is.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
Their rationale is that exhaust and intake = Performance mod, which would increase the risk of a collision because of high risk driving behaviour.

In other words, they associate mods with high risk drivers.

How it got brought up, was because they asked me if my truck had mods while I was adding it to my policy. I said no, and I followed up with “but do you guys allow mods on any vehicles?” And she flat out told me no, and gave the above explanation.

So I’m keeping my mouth shut. I’m a good driver, I don’t speed much and I just enjoy the car for what it is.
Lame. Do they give higher premiums to red cars too?

OP
OP
Deleted User 1886347

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lame. Do they give higher premiums to red cars too?
more than likely. I’m surprised they didn’t up my premiums because my car is black. Harder to see at night you know? So I’d be high risk.:rolleyes::doh:

• Haha
Reactions: Phy

Oogalee

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Be quiet. Self-insure your modifications. Only claim the damages to oem parts when in accident.
If you can't afford to buy replacement modifications, don't do it.
Sponsored