Ontario check-in!

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys, I just joined today and you're all getting me super pumped about ordering my Touring soon (hopefully next month)! I'll be upgrading from a 2006 Civic EX, same as @Ultrafrozen. I'm hoping to take my test drive this weekend and I've been reading the manual in the mean time to tide me over until then (holy crap, it's thick!). Now I just have to decide on a dealer, colour and accessories. Have any of you used this site for finding ratings on dealers?: http://www.dealerrater.ca/directory/Ontario/Honda/ My local dealer in Milton doesn't have a great rating so I'm thinking of trying somewhere else. I think I saw in another thread that one of you bought in the Halton Area? Were you happy with the dealer you purchased from?

As far as accessories go, I kind of went all-out on my 2006 Civic with full body skirts, wing spoiler, interior illumination, and more, but the Touring has so much already, I don't think I'll need to add much. Maybe just the winter mats and rear splash guards...though I'm debating if I want to go with the wing spoiler. The spoiler on my 2006 makes it much easier to find in the parking lot and I think it makes it look extra sporty, though I haven't seen many images of the spoiler on the 2016 model.

Glad to hear that it's been good in the snow so far. I find my 2006 loses traction quite easily even on slightly wet roads so I look forward to testing the Touring out in some winter weather.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought here in Burlington. Very happy with Dealership. Not sure if you can install a spoiler on the Touring as it already has its own. Only things I have added at this point are winter matts, winter tires on steelies and a dash cam. Like you pointed out, the Touring is loaded up nicely. Your going to love the Turbo.

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T (WOP), 2019 Pilot Touring (Black)
Country flag
Hey guys, I just joined today and you're all getting me super pumped about ordering my Touring soon (hopefully next month)! I'll be upgrading from a 2006 Civic EX, same as @Ultrafrozen. I'm hoping to take my test drive this weekend and I've been reading the manual in the mean time to tide me over until then (holy crap, it's thick!). Now I just have to decide on a dealer, colour and accessories. Have any of you used this site for finding ratings on dealers?: http://www.dealerrater.ca/directory/Ontario/Honda/ My local dealer in Milton doesn't have a great rating so I'm thinking of trying somewhere else. I think I saw in another thread that one of you bought in the Halton Area? Were you happy with the dealer you purchased from?

As far as accessories go, I kind of went all-out on my 2006 Civic with full body skirts, wing spoiler, interior illumination, and more, but the Touring has so much already, I don't think I'll need to add much. Maybe just the winter mats and rear splash guards...though I'm debating if I want to go with the wing spoiler. The spoiler on my 2006 makes it much easier to find in the parking lot and I think it makes it look extra sporty, though I haven't seen many images of the spoiler on the 2016 model.

Glad to hear that it's been good in the snow so far. I find my 2006 loses traction quite easily even on slightly wet roads so I look forward to testing the Touring out in some winter weather.
Congratulations on the decision and I am sure you will love the '16 Touring - especially the Turbo.

I bought WOP EX-T from Classic Honda in Brampton, although they aren't rated highly, I have been extremely happy with my experience with the sales person and his followups - even three weeks after the purchase to ensure all is going well.

As you seem to know your needs/wants, I suggest try out 2-3 dealerships and put your negotiating hat on to get the best deal - don't be afraid to walkout if you don't like the deal or the salesman there's quite a bit of inventory out there. You may not be able to negotiate below MSRP price, but try negotiating the winter tires + alloy rims and accessories you actually want.

As per the accessories, the winter mats are high-walled which is nice (but not as high walled in the front area as the WeatherTech ($150+tax) ones that just came out. I would definitely recommend getting the trunk tray - it's high walled and nicely built.

Some pics of wing spoiler from another thread: http://www.civicx.com/threads/oem-trunk-wing-spoiler-for-2016-civic-sedan.585/

Goodluck!

Honda Civic 10th gen Ontario check-in! 2016-civic-wing-spoiler1-

Honda Civic 10th gen Ontario check-in! 2016-civic-wing-spoiler2-

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought here in Burlington. Very happy with Dealership. Not sure if you can install a spoiler on the Touring as it already has its own. Only things I have added at this point are winter matts, winter tires on steelies and a dash cam. Like you pointed out, the Touring is loaded up nicely. Your going to love the Turbo.
Thanks @CdnColin. I'm guessing that was Halton Honda? That's only about 25 minutes from my place so I might have to check them out. They have a pretty good rating on Google Places and the Dealer Rater I linked to above (though not quite as high as some others in Brampton and Mississauga).

The guy at the Milton Honda dealership said I could get the spoiler for the Touring - they'd just take the original one off (I think it's just stuck on there). He could be wrong though.

Yeah, I'm super excited to try the Turbo. I hope they let me open it up on the highway during the test drive to evaluate the acceleration and handling. I'm a bit of a geek so I'm really looking forward to all of the tech gadgets too. ;)

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Congratulations on the decision and I am sure you will love the '16 Touring - especially the Turbo.
Thanks for the tips and pics @CivicNut! Yeah, I'm hoping to at least get some of the accessories thrown in like the floor mats and rear splash guards and perhaps a discount on the spoiler. I know a lot of people here don't like the wing spoiler but I think it looks cool - though the little lip spoiler on the Touring may be enough for me.

Did you actually get the winter tires and rims included at no charge? That sounds like a great deal (and I think the steelies really detract from the modern look of the car so getting alloys for the winter tires is a huge plus, IMO). The car looks so good in WOP, especially with the contrast of those black elements at the front and rear, which tend to get lost with the black and darker paint options. I just wish we could get the ivory leather interior with other exterior colours than black since I really like the two-tone look of that. Did any of you guys see the ivory leather in person? My local dealer doesn't have any on display.

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the tips and pics @CivicNut! Yeah, I'm hoping to at least get some of the accessories thrown in like the floor mats and rear splash guards and perhaps a discount on the spoiler. I know a lot of people here don't like the wing spoiler but I think it looks cool - though the little lip spoiler on the Touring may be enough for me.

Did you actually get the winter tires and rims included at no charge? That sounds like a great deal (and I think the steelies really detract from the modern look of the car so getting alloys for the winter tires is a huge plus, IMO). The car looks so good in WOP, especially with the contrast of those black elements at the front and rear, which tend to get lost with the black and darker paint options. I just wish we could get the ivory leather interior with other exterior colours than black since I really like the two-tone look of that. Did any of you guys see the ivory leather in person? My local dealer doesn't have any on display.
WOP is a great color - love it and yes, it highlights the trim much better!

I paid for the winter tires XIce3 but got the alloys free... No way I was going to put steelies on this baby :)

Overall, I paid MSRP but got ~$1,600 worth of throw-ins (5yr/100k extended warranty, mats, trunk tray, splash guards, wheel locks, alloys for winter tires)

That was in early December when inventory was short, you may be able to get more discounts now - hope so.

Ivory interior looks royal on darker toned colors. Unfortunate, it's only available in Black Pearl. WOP trumps CBP IMO, especially with some nice rims and tints!

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
WOP is a great color - love it and yes, it highlights the trim much better!...
Yeah I'm a bit torn, I think I prefer WOP over CBP but I really like the ivory interior - and I figure I'll be spending much more time inside the car than staring at the outside so I'm leaning towards CBP. My biggest concern with the black is keeping it clean but I'm hoping that I'll love it so much that I'll be happy to take it out for regular car washes. :)

I hear a lot of people are going for the extended warranty. I guess that's something I should consider. I hardly had any issues (if any) in the first 5 years with my 2006 Civic, but as most people point out, there are a lot of expensive electronics in this car that could benefit from the extended warranty.

CivicNut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I'm a bit torn, I think I prefer WOP over CBP but I really like the ivory interior - and I figure I'll be spending much more time inside the car than staring at the outside so I'm leaning towards CBP. My biggest concern with the black is keeping it clean but I'm hoping that I'll love it so much that I'll be happy to take it out for regular car washes. :)

I hear a lot of people are going for the extended warranty. I guess that's something I should consider. I hardly had any issues (if any) in the first 5 years with my 2006 Civic, but as most people point out, there are a lot of expensive electronics in this car that could benefit from the extended warranty.
I do recommend it. Although Honda is known for their reliability, my reasoning was that it's the first release of a completely redesigned car with all new Turbo charged engine, lots of electronics and sensing features which will be quite expensive to fix if they break.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm in the camp that believes in the extended warranty. I will purchase the extension in month 34 of our 36 month lease. That is providing we choose to buy the Civic at the end of the lease. It will be a low miler so we intend to buy it unless it gets a serious smack or is unbearably troublesome.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've seen a number of American members mention using a website called www.TrueCar.com to find good pricing but it seems that it's only for the US. Have any of you used something similar in Canada? I found a site called www.carcostcanada.com and it says for $30 you can get the following which will help you save money:
  • 5 Dealer Invoice Price Report(s)
  • Factory Rebates and Incentives
  • Unadvertised Factory to Dealer Credits
  • Special Finance & Lease rates
  • Dealer Referrals
  • Partner Savings at Discount Car Rental and others
  • Buy Now Price
Have any of you used this site and think it offers any value for the $30?

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I used CarCost when shopping for my last SUV. Ended up buying a 2009 Pilot Touring. CarCost worked great. When negotiating for the Pilot I showed them the CarCost data and they came right down to a fair number. May not be as useful right now for a 2016 Civic as they are still not moving too much. With the dollar difference today we Canadians are getting a pretty good deal.

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for your help guys, especially for sharing the details of the deals you got! I'm not very comfortable with haggling but now I have some ammunition for my negotiations and will go into it knowing exactly what I want and what I should expect. If I don't get the deal I want at my local dealership, I can always walk away and try another dealership where I know the exact deal they've given you guys. I'm right in between Brampton and Burlington so I don't mind going to either of those dealers. I'll be doing my test drive and negotiations today or tomorrow so I'm excited to see how it will go! Wish me luck. :)

CivicMichael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring (CBP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@CdnColin Could you tell me how this 1.99% Honda Loyalty Program works? I can't find anything about it on the Honda website. Do you just have to be trading up from one Honda to another and is it applicable for the longer term financing like 48 or 60 months? Thanks.

OP
OP
CdnColin

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@CdnColin Could you tell me how this 1.99% Honda Loyalty Program works? I can't find anything about it on the Honda website. Do you just have to be trading up from one Honda to another and is it applicable for the longer term financing like 48 or 60 months? Thanks.
If you are leasing another Honda you are eligible for the Loyalty Program. We are also leasing our 2016 HRV. The program gets you a 1% reduction on the going lease rate.
Sponsored