Only had it 3 months...

rosemariec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coup EX-T
Let me first say I hate college students.. and no good deed goes unpunished.. and this is a crappy FN way to introduce myself to the group. Sigh..

I joined literally 2-3 days ago and have been trolling the forum looking at the cool stuff you guys have done to your cars.. cue today.. I pick up son from repair center where he was getting an oil change on his truck and head back to work... We both work on university campus. Kills me.. I almost did a dozen things differently before this accident.. I turned 2 blocks earlier than I normally do.. almost went thru the drive thru before taking us back to work.. should have would have could have.. no use in any of it now.

I cross a road after stop sign and the girl hits me driver back tire/side of car as I'm crossing the road. Came out of no where.. obviously going way to fast on a 30 mph road. She hit me so hard I was ALMOST turned around facing the direction I had come from. I'm in shock.. have not even made my 3rd car payment and now my car looks like this...

Car is at repair shop now.. but wondering how bad you guys think this is. I am obviously devastated and am wondering if this is totaled because I don't think I will be happy with a repaired car @ this point.

Estimator is out until Monday which does nothing to elevate my stress this wknd.. but the guy who looked over the car with me said she hit me hard enough she dented the inside of the trunk (he pulled up the carpet and looked), obviously the side curtain air bag was deployed, drivers seat exploded, rim and tire, and pretty sure he said the axel was broken? Kind of a blur now...

Funny note.. if there can be with this story.. the other driver had a Honda too.

Honda Civic 10th gen Only had it 3 months... received_10210000033894964

Honda Civic 10th gen Only had it 3 months... received_10210000034734985

Honda Civic 10th gen Only had it 3 months... IMG_20170303_122719811

Honda Civic 10th gen Only had it 3 months... IMG_20170303_160215170

Honda Civic 10th gen Only had it 3 months... IMG_20170303_160200786

Last edited:

grevic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe
That totally sucks bud. I feel for ya. Sad to say, but that's what insurance is for. Of course, nobody wants to drive a "wrecked" new car. If you decide to keep it after they fix it, because you can actually refuse the car, then make sure they give you a $2500 depreciation check. They technically have to, because the car is worth alot less with a wreck in its history if you want to trade it in.

WNC_Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Aegean Blue Civic LX Coupe 6 speed manual ,2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 5 speed manual
Sorry to hear this,glad no one was hurt.

I know it sucks but cars can be replaced,your life cant be. Good to see the airbags deployed.

Hope you get it back the way it was.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sucks, if it was me I might be in jail too. Efn kids nowadays have no efn sense of responsibility. This country is fuc*Ed.

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
I am so sorry...my HB is my very first brand new car too. Hope all the insurance goes smooth.

Swordfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the car. Keep us informed with what happens. I'd say that any other car that wasn't new this would be totaled out, although I still think they will total out the car. Generally when the airbags deploy unless it is a very expensive luxury car they will damage out the vehicle, and given that the wheel is bent in, it's possible there's damage to axle and frame of the car.

I'll take a guess and say 95% certain this will be totaled. I'm not sure what the legal right is to refuse the car, but if you can refuse or accept to have to totaled you should. It will be hard to sell this car in the future if it is fixed due to a salvage title.

ichii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe and 2011 CR-Z
Country flag
I'm sorry to hear this, just be glad no one was hurt.

stak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Pure negativity, t
Let me first say I hate college students..
Pure negativity, that's a really nice way to start out your first post. Why act like you were never young or as if she deliberately hit you?

No f'n sympathy for you at all.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
Pure negativity, that's a really nice way to start out your first post. Why act like you were never young or as if she deliberately hit you?

No f'n sympathy for you at all.
You're absolutely right; could have said something like "I hate texters while driving," or whatever more specific. However, the OP's anger is real and the trauma/shock is also real. We can give the OP a little break especially after an incident like this when it's difficult to think straight. :grouphug:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're absolutely right; could have said something like "I hate texters while driving," or whatever more specific. However, the OP's anger is real and the trauma/shock is also real. We can give the OP a little break especially after an incident like this when it's difficult to think straight. :grouphug:
I don't think she's wrong at all. People need to be responsible for their actions and most of today's kids I see only give a fuck about themselves and their shitbox FB account. Truth!

OP
OP

rosemariec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coup EX-T
Would, I immensely dislike college students, have suited you better? Let me clarify.. I have worked on a university campus for the last 12 years.. over that time I have become rather jaded at their lack of GAF for anyone other than themselves..they walk into traffic daily... walk texting in the middle of the road while cars are trying to drive on it.. I've seen college kids decide they wanted to park somewhere that is not theirs until certain hours of the day.. so they break the lift arm bearer so often that the college has gone to a soft wood as to not damage their car (and be sued by the student) and make it 'economical' to replace.. could go on and on... but won't because this is a pointless argument. Did not mean to offend you this early into the forum.. I offer my apologies.

To clarify a bit further - I am glad no one was seriously hurt (on both sides). I have air bag burns on my shoulder and my son will possibly have to be seen soon depending on whether the soreness from the impact goes away. She seemed to have no injuries.

I should have further elaborated that when she got out of the car right after the accident her phone was in her hand. From the distance, speed, no slow down, no tire marks attempting to slow down... I am assuming (and yes I know that makes an ass out of everyone involved) that she was texting.. especially since a bfnd? showed up mins after the crash.

I have GAP insurance so no worries on $$ or issues of that nature... was looking more for expertise on whether this is a total loss or if I will be looking at repairs..

PS.. thanks to the other well wishers..

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would, I immensely dislike college students, have suited you better? Let me clarify.. I have worked on a university campus for the last 12 years.. over that time I have become rather jaded at their lack of GAF for anyone other than themselves..they walk into traffic daily... walk texting in the middle of the road while cars are trying to drive on it.. I've seen college kids decide they wanted to park somewhere that is not theirs until certain hours of the day.. so they break the lift arm bearer so often that the college has gone to a soft wood as to not damage their car (and be sued by the student) and make it 'economical' to replace.. could go on and on... but won't because this is a pointless argument. Did not mean to offend you this early into the forum.. I offer my apologies.

To clarify a bit further - I am glad no one was seriously hurt (on both sides). I have air bag burns on my shoulder and my son will possibly have to be seen soon depending on whether the soreness from the impact goes away. She seemed to have no injuries.

I should have further elaborated that when she got out of the car right after the accident her phone was in her hand. From the distance, speed, no slow down, no tire marks attempting to slow down... I am assuming (and yes I know that makes an ass out of everyone involved) that she was texting.. especially since a bfnd? showed up mins after the crash.

I have GAP insurance so no worries on $$ or issues of that nature... was looking more for expertise on whether this is a total loss or if I will be looking at repairs..

Best of luck to you, I hope this works out well for you all in the end.

The phone part pisses me off to no end. No idea why this is rarely enforced. Recently had someone pull out in front of me at ~45 MPH - ran the stop sign while looking at her phone. Completely oblivious.

LoveToDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LX MT, 2015 Si (RIP)
I don't think she's wrong at all. People need to be responsible for their actions and most of today's kids I see only give a fuck about themselves and their shitbox FB account. Truth!
:what: I was saying that yes, generalizing a whole group of people is not helpful, but I wasn't contradicting the OP at all. I went through the exact same thing and I know how difficult it is to process all of this so I was trying to tell stak to lay off a bit.

OP, you didn't create any conflict. Take care of yourself and take it one step at a time. Rest. This will work out. Your insurance company will take you through it. My opinion is that it LOOKS totaled, especially with the airbags being deployed, but they really need to take it apart to be sure.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

Totally hear you about not taking responsibility, and phone use while driving. Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you weren't hurt. Hopefully lesson learned by the other party. I doubt it though.
Sponsored