• Welcome to CivicXI.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

One Week of Ownership

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2022 Civic Touring Sedan
So a week and almost 800 KM in and here is my short term ownership feeling on the new 2022.

Exterior

I don't hate how this car looks but I still don't love it. We own this car due to our 2017 being written off this month. Visibility rearward is reduced as the rear window is smaller. Forward visibility is excellent but the hood lines and how they interact with sight lining the edges of the road or land will have to be relearned a little if you rely on this and are coming from the GenX. (My son developed a reliance on this)

The trunk opening is far more usable than before and the full open feature (At least my Touring has it) is quite handy. How this works in the winter in Canada will be interesting.

Side mirrors. I am not sure what to think about the shape but I haven't had a usability issue yet. I have noticed a vibration at highway speeds in the drivers side but I don't know if this is a bug or a feature and will be investigating it further.

Ground Clearance! This has been fixed. You will just not be scraping the piss out of your bumper lip over things that only supercars should be worried about. I have tested out several of the most notorious spots in the city I live and none of them are an issue, even at a decent, but still responsible, trot. This is one of the biggest quality of life improvements in the car. Interestingly, they did this and didn't change the total height of the vehicle in any meaningful way.

Power and Transmission

I came from an EX that had the 2.0NA so this was a major upgrade for me. Our 2020 CRV has more power but weighs more and is likely "geared" differently. I am extremely satisfied with the overall responsiveness of this car. I don't feel wanting jumping out into traffic and have very frequently found myself going a lot faster than needed in a lot shorter period of time.

I find that the transmission is more responsive than my 2017 or our CRV. The paddle shifters are of course, a gimmick but they are fun to play with. Overall, I think that normal is fine on the overall with sport being mostly for people wanting to feel better or if you want to pass more aggressively in the right circumstances. The biggest quality of life benefit of sport mode is that it disables the auto stop-start for as long as you are in sport.

Handling and Ride

I was sold on the 2022 in minutes after test driving one after the 2017 was written off. This generation is just silly good. Smooth, quick, nimble and very responsive. It is better in every way over the GenX.

Where the Touring has 235/40 R18 wheels and tires, the grip is intense for a badge that was always an econobox/grocery getter. This thing will corner in ways that will encourage you to push it harder if you are not a timid driver. I have yet to get it to break loose in a continuous hard turn. In one particular area where I live, if I broke 60 kph in my old EX, it would definitely start to sing. I have gone 70 in the new ride and it just goes around like meh.

I was worried about the ride from such low profile tires and wheels but this was not at all an issue. The suspension and noise transmission is far improved from the GenX and frankly, well exceeds that of the Gen5 CRV. We went over some nasty railroad tracks and some rather unpleasant road surfaces on our recent weekend jaunt.

Interior

There are a lot of wins but there are a few nasty losses on the changes made for this generation.

Instrumentation is excellent and the large all screen cluster was a delight to use. I didn't find myself hunting for much for just daily driving. The menu system and the change away from the d-pad style isn't perfect but it is very good. I think it is better than the previous setup for menu usage but could be a pain for people less able to press and not roll a button while doing so.

Rearview mirror is an automatic model with HomeLink integration and I am satisfied with how it works. I like that the buttons on it are FAR larger than the ones on the ceiling panel in our 2020 CRV Touring. The auto dim function works as expected and is a nice upgrade for me in the Civic as the 2020 CRV has it and it is excellent in that.

Door handles getting in and out are fine. Nothing awesome or terrible.

Space in the door cards for items is similar to the GenX and I think the water bottle slot is more accommodating than before.

Climate controls are just flat out near perfect. The only real issue is that the heated seat button for the driver is actually obscured by the steering wheel for me (I am 6 feet tall). Not the end of the world but clearly, only average height people tested this car for usability and livability before the layout was signed off.

The overhead console was upgraded nicely and now includes a sunglasses holder.

Heading to the passenger front, we find our next big issue. The glovebox. They have massively shrunk it. I assume due to the shin airbags but regardless, it is a lot smaller. In the GenX, it was very large considering and allowed for the storage of a tissue box in there. This is now not an option and with the center console storage having been shrunk, you either need to find the right sized tissue box or you are hooped and will have to have a tissue box out and flying all over the cabin when turning which makes the thing never be within safe reach of the driver or even convenient reach of the front passenger.

Before we head to the rear, the center console is where things start to go off the rails the rest of the way. The storage area was reduced significantly and the two cupholders are now out in the open permanently. The wireless charging pad is dead center of a space that was ALMOST large enough to allow two phones to sit side by side and provide two charging surfaces. This is made more of a problem as there is NO useful place for the passenger to keep their phone. It was nice that the two USB ports were moved out in the open for the front seats but the new issue of no place to put the second phone comes flying to the surface. Why is there no second shelf or slot or pocket or something? This is just as dumb as when the GenX was designed and that shelf for phones not being designed to be as big as the phablets that were available at that time. Another issues is that there is no chance of wire management for USB cords like there was in the GenX. I will say that for daily driver city duties, this won't be a terrible issue but longer drives or if both front seaters need to charge, this is going to be at least an ongoing annoyance.

Going rearward, the headroom in this generation is a massive upgrade over the GenX. What measurements are listed in the specs are stupid and don't correlate at all. As noted, I am 6 foot. In the GenX, I could not sit up straight in the back AT ALL. This is not at all the case in the GenXI and is absolutely welcome. I am assuming that this happened from a change in the roofline profile of this new sedan.

There are two USB ports for the rear so that is nice.

There are no air vents beside those USB ports but where the cabin is not a massive cave, this isn't an issue.

Seating/Trimmed Surfaces

The seating is a flat out major improvement over the GenX. I even find it far more comfortable than our 2020 CRV that has a 12 way powered seat. On our weekend drive, I went more than an hour before realizing I hadn't shifted around at all.

The leather anywhere that would have been cloth is good to excellent and the leather wrapping on the steering wheel feels good in the hands.

Infotainment

This is just pluses all the way around. Everything is fast, responsive and doesn't look like crap. There is a small amount of customizability but really, it is fine either way as it is all so responsive and quick.

I don't care about SiriusXM so I don't have any input or complaints one way or another on this.

Random Elements

Rear Camera - This is upgraded and works far better in low light. It comes on faster than the GenX as well.

Cruise Control - The ACC now actively maintains your speed even while going down hill. Not passively by gearing down or something. I mean that it actually uses the brakes to maintain your speed VERY accurately and without making you get some weird form of motion sickness. This is a major win as we live on a fairly tall hill and going down is only 50 kph and the city cops love to raise funds by camping it. And frankly, it is great even out on the highways as you don't have to worry about gravity speeding you up too much and you not paying attention.

Gassing Up - The outer lid closes far easier than on the GenX. It includes the fix added to the GenX for dealing with snow/ice ingress to the capless filler hole.

Automatic Wipers - They are far more aggressive than in the Gen5 CRV but I would assume this is due to there being no RADAR in the GenXI and it needing the camera suite to be cleared frequently.

No RADAR - I was wondering how this would work out and I am impressed. I am also glad that there is no more fussing with slush on a sensor in the winter.

ACC - This works just as well with only cameras as it did with RADAR. Practically, it works better as it seems to keep track of vehicles around sharper bends and at greater distances than the RADAR systems ever seemed to.

Lane Keeping - This is DEFINITELY an ASSIST and not like it was in the GenX or in the Gen5 CRV. Those systems were borderline Tesla self driving. This new lane centering is definitely better overall but will NOT go driving around bends like before. Which frankly is fine.

Auto high beams - This is an upgrade for me on Civics but was added to the GenX later than my 2017. Compared to my experience with our CRV, I find the GenXI system slightly more reserved as to when it turns on the high beams. Nothing bad, just not as aggressive.

Walk away locks - Still get fouled by a smartphone beside the key fob. So no change in this.

Parking Sensors - Only on the Touring but frankly should either be on all of them or just save your pennies and get the Touring. I love having them! The system works quite well.

Overall Feeling So Far

After a week, I can say that even with the center console and glove box design idiocy (Again), there are so many quality of life changes and improvements that this is unquestionably the best Civic ever. It might not be the one you like the look of the most or the color or transmission selections but that is not what they are chasing these days. This evolution of the Civic is the most accommodating, grown up but yet amply nimble and quick cars for the money.

For us, it sucks that my son had to have an accident to get this car but dammit if we aren't all very happy with it. My son only dislikes the hood and my wife only dislikes the retro styling on the dash. This is the most instantly liked and least nitpicked of any vehicle that the three of us have had to drive.

The Future...

I will definitely be getting a KTuner now that I have a Civic with a turbo. I always thought about it for the 2017 but I just couldn't bring myself to. I will likely be putting off getting one for a year as I don't want to tune the car and my son get in another accident right away. The power increase from the old Civic is enough for him to deal with.

Outside of that, there is not much to want to do to a Touring trim other than standard protection things like floor mats and some PPF for certain surfaces like the door sills and whatnot.

Anyone have any questions, I will definitely try to answer or clarify statements above.

Thanks!
Sponsored

jimmybean123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchvback Sport
I was sold on the 2022 in minutes after test driving one after the 2017 was written off. This generation is just silly good. Smooth, quick, nimble and very responsive. It is better in every way over the GenX.
I mean that's just objectively false, based on the info on this very forum. :) The 1.5L engine on the 11th gen is a bit undertuned in both HP and torque and honestly that alone feels like a bad joke on a ~$30k car (Touring trim), especially after test driving Mazda 3 Turbo. You can change it with a KTuner, but that may affect warranty claims.

I test drove the new Civic 2022 Sedan ("Sport") and love the new interior, totally digging the retro style, even if its not as convenient in some places. But the steering felt super bland, even if ok for a daily driver. I felt its changed in a way that's a lot less sporty, but a lot more refined. A lot of "car feel" is lost and just felt a lot more like a Corolla.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I mean that's just objectively false, based on the info on this very forum. :) The 1.5L engine on the 11th gen is a bit undertuned in both HP and torque and honestly that alone feels like a bad joke on a ~$30k car (Touring trim), especially after test driving Mazda 3 Turbo. You can change it with a KTuner, but that may affect warranty claims.
Did you read what I wrote? Did you see that I had a 2.0NA before? Did you notice that I am from Canada where the ONLY trim after 2017 with a turbo was the Touring and Si? And that this continues even into the 2022 MY?

leodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda civic touring
Nice impressions on your first week experience. I believe this car is so much improved from the generation X I owned before. It is much more refined. Even though I read the reviews ferociously, I was still overcome with joy as the car surpassed the reviews as per my taste.
I have been trying to see if the cabin is quieter on the gen. XI touring. So far my conclusion is that it is quieter including at highway speeds. Granted my old car had 45000 on its original tires. The steering is easier to move which I prefer. On center feeling is more stable. The 2016 had a weird feeling at highway speed where it felt like the steering would get stuck slightly in its position at highway roads. It may have been the tires but this is gone on this current iteration. The a/c blow is more widespread giving a welcome feeling of relief from the high temps. I dare say is quieter too. The seats are better. People complain about the lack of lumbar. I love lumber support and I feel the seats are well design for lumbar support as is, granted they can not be specified by individual specificity.
I agree with stability in turns. It gives me a sense of confidence both when the highway has its turns or in cities with curved roads. Much smoother and secured turns (I have not push the limits). Personally I have not pushed its acceleration. I don't value acceleration numbers as I used to. Equal values I give to nvh and nimbleness. This car gives me a very good balance between feeling the road and gravitational pull while being comfortable.
I do not know if it makes a difference with quietness but I attached the rubber plugs that were in the glove compartment and had not been attached after transportation. (any inquiries about these plugs are contained in this site somewhere else).

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Amazing review.

No doubt this generation is a step up in refinement over the 10th gen. But for my taste, it misses the mark in the wow factor. Plus, each generation this car is grow further and further from it's small car roots and I prefer smaller cars. I don't want an Accord Lite.

Say what you will about the 10th but it is distinct and has an edginess to it that the new car is missing.

Acura_CSX_4eva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura Manual Transmission + Nav + Heated Leather
I wonder what the Sedan Si will be like and if it will come before or after the Hatchback in September?

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Amazing review.
Thanks! I watched a lot of video reviews before the 2017 was even written off so I was primed to point at the less sexy things that the reviewers tend to miss.

No doubt this generation is a step up in refinement over the 10th gen. But for my taste, it misses the mark in the wow factor.
Yup. I really liked the overall appearance of the GenX (Specifically the pre refresh). My only REAL issue was the bumper clearance issues. For where I live, it was a REAL pain and much smashing happened. All gone with the new generation.

Plus, each generation this car is grow further and further from it's small car roots and I prefer smaller cars. I don't want an Accord Lite.
This is definitely an issue that my son was not super keen on. It is wider and longer again. It really is a baby Accord. It is now only about 8 inches shorter and is basically the same general width as far as my garage is concerned.

Say what you will about the 10th but it is distinct and has an edginess to it that the new car is missing.
I will always agree with this. I truly do like my new car for so many excellent reasons but it does not give the fizz on looking at it from the outside and even the hatchback won't fix that.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder what the Sedan Si will be like and if it will come before or after the Hatchback in September?
The only real options they have are bumpers and rocker panels. The rest of the car is basically set in stone. So they will have to get pretty creative to make the Si not look boring.

As for when, I think it will be "fall". And note that this is a nice chunk of 3 months of time when you say "fall".

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
The only real options they have are bumpers and rocker panels. The rest of the car is basically set in stone. So they will have to get pretty creative to make the Si not look boring.

As for when, I think it will be "fall". And note that this is a nice chunk of 3 months of time when you say "fall".
With the part shortage we may see the Hatch and SI get delayed.

https://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1456284

em804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic EX, 1996 TL
Rear Camera - This is upgraded and works far better in low light. It comes on faster than the GenX as well.

Thanks!

I either have a really bad camera/display or you have low expectations? My rear camera may be from 1997. It is useless at night and it is too blurry in general. For reference, my other vehicle is a 2017 Impreza and its camera might as well be HD compared to my 2022 Civic's camera.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the part shortage we may see the Hatch and SI get delayed.
Actually, when the need for a new Civic happened, I asked my salesman if he knew when the hatches were coming and he was not confident they would be here any sooner than late into the fall. Basically that there was no practical way I could have put off replacing the written off Civic. (My son needed a car for school this Sept)

my other vehicle is a 2017 Impreza and its camera might as well be HD compared to my 2022 Civic's camera.
What model 2022 do you have? The Touring might simply have a better display and not just a larger display.

Also, define blurry? There is no need for a 4k backup camera on a vehicle. I have had a 2017 Civic, our current 2020 CRV and this new Civic and it is the best looking so far.

leodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda civic touring
Compared to the 2016 rear camera this one provides a much wider view of the back. I have the touring. The resolution itself is about the same I think.

OP
OP
frontlinegeek

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Compared to the 2016 rear camera this one provides a much wider view of the back. I have the touring. The resolution itself is about the same I think.
Maybe that wider angle and the large screen with the Touring is what makes me find it better.

I do know that it is very fast to engage though.

MrHump

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FC1
This makes me want to buy a ktuner and flash/test drive a bunch of cars to void the warranties of them all

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 type r
Any issues on the top of the hood? Like rock chips? I heard that the paint on the hood is extremely thin compared to the 10th gen
Sponsored