Once I unlock my ECU is there no way to lock it again?

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Meaning I need to return my car to the dealer, once I have Ktuner unlock it, I'm stuck forever?
Sponsored

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Don't have an answer for this, but if you have any doubt and want to protect yourself, you could do what others have done and buy a spare ECU and unlock/flash that one. That way if you ever turn it back in or get any major work done, you could throw the original ECU back in.

OP
OP

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Not at all. Just lock it to the ECU again after the visit.
But then do I have to send ECU back to Ktuner to unlock? Or once they unlock, you can unlock/relock anytime?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Send ECU back? :what:

You can lock and unlock from your car's ECU anytime once you flash back to factory. With the V2, you can do it right from the unit. With the V1.2, you'll need a laptop.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking?

Last edited:

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
The spare ECU thing is such a waste of money. The ECU has a runtime tracker. Dealers are not dumb. The dealership can plug into the ecu and see a short runtime and get suspicious.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This is where I'm confused then. I know about the jail breaking and this being the Type R area. It's just that the OP's profile says he has an Si so I based my answers on that.

OP... If you do in fact have a Type R, disregard my info, my bad. Also, update your profile.;)

Last edited:
OP
OP

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
This is where I'm confused then. I know about the jail breaking and this being the Type R area. It's just that the OP's profile says he has an Si so I based my answers on that.

OP... If you do in fact have a Type R, disregard my info, my bad. Also, update your profile.;)
Sorry lol!! Si until.tomorrow then type r!

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Sorry lol!! Si until.tomorrow then type r!
There are two ways to unlock. Hardware and software. I can’t say for sure exactly which method is being done where but if I had to guess it would be both. Some shops have paid the super high price for the software, while others know how to wire up and interact with it.

The goal is to basically allow write operations. Some ECUs this means writing to a specific region in memory either through a vulnerability, encryption key, or through some custom hardware wiring.

Once allowed to write, you can then rewrite and add new maps.

Some tuners allow you to restore the factory maps.

It should be possible to re-enable read only mode of the ecu.

TypeknaR

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type-R (FK8)
Country flag
Meaning I need to return my car to the dealer, once I have Ktuner unlock it, I'm stuck forever?
I returned my Si with a hondata flash I kept the tuner and just returned the car. No need for specifics the dealer won’t pass it up

sosoye

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, S2000, Turbo Miata
Country flag
Jailbreaking the ECU and unlocking/locking Hondata/Ktuner are two different things.
Jailbreaking the ECU is required to use ktuner/hondata.
Unlock the Ktuner/hondata when using it on a different car or selling it.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
The spare ECU thing is such a waste of money. The ECU has a runtime tracker. Dealers are not dumb. The dealership can plug into the ecu and see a short runtime and get suspicious.
I don’t know enough about these but I feel you’d just say my car blew up, stalled, made weird noises etc and when I had it towed they left lights on and my battery was dead those bastards. Play dumb and I bet a dead battery looks the same on paper as switching an ecu.
Sponsored