On the fence with buying

hondaguy6295

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 crystal black ex sedan
Im sure this as been discussed many times about the new civic but for what I have been reading they seem to have nothing but trouble with the electronics aspect of them.. Im currently driving a 2006 civic lx and looking to upgrade to a 2016 ex 2.0 , while nothing is wrong with my car these 10th gens are really catching my eye.. what I'm asking the civics sitting at dealerships right now should the bugs be out of them, I hear if they have a march build date they're fine? will they have the software updates? This will be my first brand new car and plan on keeping it for at least 10 years or more, my biggest worry is the headunit dying out at some point and not lasting the life of the vehicle.. so would i be safe to buy now? or wait till later in the year and buy a 2017? any help would be great thanks!!
Sponsored

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most of the big software hits have been for the top of the line Touring or EX-L trims. People with the LX or the EX have not reported that many problems. I have yet to have a single problem with my EX so far. AA, Bluetooth, volume, climate control, windows, etc... all good so far. *crossing my fingers*

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It seems the majority of the bugs that haven't affecting Touring owners were restricted to ones built earlier.

IMO, there won't be any significant changes to the EX between the '16/'17, some of the fit and finish might be refined.

OP
OP

hondaguy6295

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the help guys! How about Apple car play any trouble there? My biggest thing is the electronics.. My family has a auto repair shop I work there.. So powertrain doesn't bother me but the electronic stuff is normally dealer only kind of deal.. How about the CVT issue or is that only with touring and higher as well?

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The CVT surging is only with the Turbo, so if you purchase an LX or EX, you're fine.

I use Android Auto, so I can't comment on Carplay, but I don't think there's any major issues, just people having a glitch or two on occasion.

OP
OP

hondaguy6295

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thought so! I guess I'm just being a little paranoid haha I see the audio unit is 1600 bucks if it needs replaced.. Should be covered under warranty if something would happen.. I'm just looking for the future! I think I'm going to the pull the trigger early fall this year!

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We got our Touring back in November, so it's one of the early ones. I did have the subwoofer rattle, but I've since fixed it. That wouldn't effect the EX. With our old phones Android Auto was kinda slow, but since we got new phones running Marshmallow it runs much better. Can't speak on Carplay as we don't have iPhones. The head unit itself would be laggy sometimes, and bluetooth streaming would stutter sometimes. But with the recent update (SB 16-022) it's much better. Newer cars should have a more recent version already installed.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We got our Touring back in November, so it's one of the early ones. I did have the subwoofer rattle, but I've since fixed it. That wouldn't effect the EX. With our old phones Android Auto was kinda slow, but since we got new phones running Marshmallow it runs much better. Can't speak on Carplay as we don't have iPhones. The head unit itself would be laggy sometimes, and bluetooth streaming would stutter sometimes. But with the recent update (SB 16-022) it's much better. Newer cars should have a more recent version already installed.
Glad to hear the lag goes away on AA with newer phones - my One M8 is a dog anymore. Eyeing that S7 Edge :) Good to hear the experience should be snappier.

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Glad to hear the lag goes away on AA with newer phones - my One M8 is a dog anymore. Eyeing that S7 Edge :) Good to hear the experience should be snappier.
Yeah. Our phones when we first bought the car (just before Thanksgiving) were the 1st gen Moto X running Lollipop. For Black Friday we got the Nexus 6 (shipped with Lollipop, updated right away to Marshmallow) so within a week of getting the car we were using it with different phones. I was surprised at how much of a difference it made.

OP
OP

hondaguy6295

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the help guys!! How about build quality between Canada and Indiana?! Is their a difference? I wouldn't seem to think so but asking more for curiosity..

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the help guys!! How about build quality between Canada and Indiana?! Is their a difference? I wouldn't seem to think so but asking more for curiosity..
Nah they're the same I'd say, but I believe it was the Indiana plant that wasn't lubricating the windows properly and some people have had trouble with that, but on the other side I can't remember off the top of my head, but there were some things going on at the Alliston plant too. Just depends on what Honda factory worker is having a bad day and hopefully the car you buy was on a good day lol if you know what I mean.. Check your car for c-pillar warpage, I'm in Thunder Bay, ON right now and I went to the dealer here yesterday, and 75% of the cars had warpage :-/ very minor, but it was there..

My advise to you, is to study your car very carefully before you sign the paper and you should be fine. Good luck.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the c-pillar warpage? Is that something only on the sedan's? Just curious.

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Bought a touring back in March, and its been relatively wonderful. I haven't bothered with the rattle as it doesn't bother me too much. I've used both AA (with s7 edge) and apple carplay (iPhone 6s +) and have had no issues.

Being a primary android user bugs have always existed. I've had over 10 android phones at this point, and I've never had a perfect one so I don't ever expect this HU to be flawless. The only tech issue I've ran into with the head unit is specifically AA related. Sometimes when I answer a call while listening to music, afterwards, the music won't play. Fixed simply by unplugging your phone or resetting the HU. That's an Android issue though not honda. Other than that (and another issue I won't bother to bring up again lol) I'm absolutely in love with this car, still. Ill be glad to help answer any specific questions.

@hondo once you go Nexus, you really never want to leave ;)
Sponsored