First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sti, 2019 Si, Fr-S, 350z, Evo X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
TLDR Maperformance hands down, BUT the people at tsp will tailor your tune to your wants (and the tuners/customer service is unparalleled). Despite this however, I think many people should explore MAPerformance

@MAPerformance
@Two Step Performance

I feel its fair to tag them, and since I have some criticisms that they should be able to defend without stumbling into a thread by chance.

Anyways superficial first, then details, datalogs later today/this week

MAPerformance:
-Slow ass delivery but hey it got here
-Came with tune for free (as does TSP i believe)
-inputting ktuner code does not fit into the website due to max character limit and after leaving a note, they still sent me tune for a ktuner that wasn't mine and didnt work. They fixed it but it took like 2 weeks (partially me, mostly them)
-Tune is freaking incredible. Butt dyno always trumps real dyno unless you are racing for sport. not daily driving though. Each map hits around the same psi from what I can gather, but map three feels like they changed something else too. Not sure what.
-Early spool is great mixed with the curve
-If you call them, the computer directs you to a department for tuning that connects you to a voicemail that says they dont support that over the phone. You can...you know...change that option from being there rather than saying "press 5" followed by "sorry heres some ppl and a website ::click::"
-in the end, once you get their attention (via email) they were very helpful and everything worked smoothly in the end.
-----MOST ENJOYABLE PART----
-The boost comes on like a sledgehammer (look at my car history, having a car at half the price and 2x the mileage literally feel BETTER than a stock STi is insane) and without wheelspin or traction systems kicking in somehow (no disable traction in menus, but VST never kicking in anyways with this curve). I think it spools early+hard yet doesn't make as much power as TSPmap3, meaning you can floor it in second and you stick (mostly)

Vastly superior feeling tune, numbers that are respectable, a tune that FEELS FASTER, and is more friendly to the clutch (more friendly doesnt mean you'll never need an upgrade)

TSP
-insanely great service and supreme knowledge. You email a question, but they've responded last week somehow
-VERY clear information on what map does what with what boost

-locks you out from changing most things (keeping their tune a secret i presume). And you cant blow up your car if you an ijjit.
-power delivery is smooth af, but ramps up in a way that the tires break loose waaaay more often (VST disable) and throttle modulation required. For a DD and a tune that is objectively faster in map 3 but feels slower than MAPerformance, this is underhelming. I wanna do less work and have it feel faster.
-map 3 makes insane power but feels "slower" in terms of onset of power. It IS faster, but my 350z was faster than my FR-S...yet you'd never catch me dead choosing the former if given the choice right now (both heavily modded but still NA)
-map 2 is fantastic, map 3 will ruin your clutch and doesnt feel worth it compared to map2 and especially MAPerormance

Daily driving and using ktuner lite to flash between many many many times, I vastly and without question prefer MAPerformance in almost every way. The one exception being that I've never had Derek or anyone at TSP tweak my tune.

Datalogs soon (never done it, so gimme a day or two).

Feel free to share your experiences, but I would recommend MAPerformance as it feels better to me, is punchier, a bit slower yet doesnt feel it (good for clutch) but if you expect to be working with and communicating daily to tweak your tune, TSP might be the way to go.

last thing-

TSP map 3 feels like driving a fast NA v6 car, kinda like 370z or BMW inline 6 that makes power and feels to accelerate all the way to the redline (but slower than a 370z obvs)

Map feels like an Evo or STi (or probably type R, but i wouldnt know) with a BAM and then psi dropoff. More useable and fun in the street. TSP makes on ramps a blast, MAPerfomance makes the other 98% of your driving experience more fun
Sponsored

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Interesting post, I am definitely debating whether I will get the TSP or MAP tune with my future Ktuner. Do the MAP tunes have dual maps for normal/sport mode like the TSP does?

OP
OP
consensual_induction

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interesting post, I am definitely debating whether I will get the TSP or MAP tune with my future Ktuner. Do the MAP tunes have dual maps for normal/sport mode like the TSP does?
yes they do, though not explicitly stated. 3 maps, with differences not being target psi except for 3 i believe, but throttle and curve is more aggressive as you progress.

Normal map and sport always gonna be the sme (cept 3) but different boost curve afr ratio etc

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the detailed comparison.

I could be wrong but I wonder if the main difference you feel is MAP is using early spool and aggressive part throttle turbo response and TSP isn't? I don't know if either company will chime in to verify, though.

The reason I'm guessing that is I started off using the KTuner starter tunes with early spool enabled and with aggressive part throttle turbo response. That tune felt really lively in the low and mid range, but power fell off a cliff above 5,000 rpm. The TSP tune feels noticeably less snappy down low but the top end comes on really strong so I wonder it TSP has early spool off and a less aggressive part throttle turbo setup.

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
You should do a virtual dyno between the two and report back.

My hunch is that both have similar output/performance. But MAP probably configures torque to come earlier in the powerband which is probably more fun for daily driving. TSP has mentioned that they dampen boost/torque in the midrange to help mitigate stress on the rods, and shift HP towards the upper RPMs.

In the end I think they are both great solutions that really wake this car up.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Even the KTuner basemaps can be set up to deliver substantially more low end torque with early spool and aggressive ramp settings. I honestly don’t miss the tire spinning torque and prefer the torque ramp of the TSP. It is absolutely perfect for ME. No I can’t speak about the MapTune, I don’t have it and to be quite honest, I have no intention of purchasing to try. It nice that there are so many options. Great post on the differences @consentual_induction as you do have both.

OP
OP
consensual_induction

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed comparison.

I could be wrong but I wonder if the main difference you feel is MAP is using early spool and aggressive part throttle turbo response and TSP isn't? I don't know if either company will chime in to verify, though.

The reason I'm guessing that is I started off using the KTuner starter tunes with early spool enabled and with aggressive part throttle turbo response. That tune felt really lively in the low and mid range, but power fell off a cliff above 5,000 rpm. The TSP tune feels noticeably less snappy down low but the top end comes on really strong so I wonder it TSP has early spool off and a less aggressive part throttle turbo setup.
i looked in the tune itself, and you are totally correct, with the exception of fuggit got real lazy and took a picture of my laptop with my other one lol
Honda Civic 10th gen Ok TSP vs MAPerformance after lots of testing Photo on 9-7-19 at 7.53 PM

OP
OP
consensual_induction

consensual_induction

First Name
Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should do a virtual dyno between the two and report back.

My hunch is that both have similar output/performance. But MAP probably configures torque to come earlier in the powerband which is probably more fun for daily driving. TSP has mentioned that they dampen boost/torque in the midrange to help mitigate stress on the rods, and shift HP towards the upper RPMs.

In the end I think they are both great solutions that really wake this car up.
how exactly can i do that? datalogging in ktuner lite doesnt seem to do anything, so do i hook up laptop and just datalog? same as VD?

datalog like 2nd and 3rd WOT in each tune on each map (in sport) sounds like the way to do it :) lmk before i go out and do that for nothing (besides fun)

Stenguyen1

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Sounds like the comparison is too early to tell which is better. Not enough research, data logging, and interaction between the two.

Sounds like map gives you power up front while tsp gives you the most power in the end of the rpms.

So overall it's based on the driver's preferences, daily or not. The driver will like the power to kick I'm a specific time and if one does it the way they like it, they will tend to pick that side. It's always been that way. From 4 cylinder turbo cars to boosted v8.

Looking forward to what has to be said after more testing has been done between the two.

kingbudd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si, 1994 Dodge Stealth RT/TT, 2016 Infiniti Q50, 2017 Cadillac XT5, and 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I haven’t tried Maps tune yet, but I do enjoy my TSP Stage 1 tune. Overall it seems linear across the power band and it helps offset the lows/peaks in the stock. That was my major complaint when it was stock, I hated having to search for power (because sometimes it would be ready to go and others it would seem like it had 80hp and barely want to go). I do enjoy the high end torque, it reminds me of my EM1 Vtec kicking in; once you hit the top end torque curve its off like a rocket!