OP
Lcifer

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Let us know what you find out! I haven't seen anything about it.
Will do but I don't think so based on the boost gauge built into the ECU since my buddy says it reads the same psi when he puts it to the floor if he let it warm up or not I haven't personally ran it hard while it's "cold" but I think I will when I get off work in a couple hours since it's still brand new under 1k miles so any wear and tear would still be nominal overall since nothing should be worn much yet anyway

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Will do but I don't think so based on the boost gauge built into the ECU since my buddy says it reads the same psi when he puts it to the floor if he let it warm up or not I haven't personally ran it hard while it's "cold" but I think I will when I get off work in a couple hours since it's still brand new under 1k miles so any wear and tear would still be nominal overall since nothing should be worn much yet anyway
Im really interested in how accurate the boost gauge is on the si. I'm not sure what the gauge really is on the hatch, it look same but doesn't have a psi and goes from 0 - + not numbered like the si.

OP
OP
Lcifer

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Does the 1.5L turbo limit boost on cold starts until the oil warms up?
As promised checked when I left work psi reading on the built in dash boost gauge said the exact same numbers when floored right after start up and half way home from work which is about a 25m drive so I don't think there is a boost limiter

OP
OP
Lcifer

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Im really interested in how accurate the boost gauge is on the si. I'm not sure what the gauge really is on the hatch, it look same but doesn't have a psi and goes from 0 - + not numbered like the si.
Same cause this the first boost gauge o ever had that reads off as negative psi the moment I let off the gas vs all the old ones I had that would just read zero boost when the bov would let the pressure out and I was under the impression that these have a recirculating bov so it should maintain some psi at all times but he'll what do I know

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
As promised checked when I left work psi reading on the built in dash boost gauge said the exact same numbers when floored right after start up and half way home from work which is about a 25m drive so I don't think there is a boost limiter
40F this morning. After cold start in the Type R, initially the boost gauge was limited to -4 psi in casual driving and I did not hear the turbo spool. A significant amount of throttle was needed to get to turbo spinning (feels like ECON mode in my CR-V). After about 5 minutes the boost was up to "0 psi" and could barely hear the turbo until the oil warmed up.

I believe the same occurs in my CR-V (1.5L turbo, CVT) but there is no boost gauge and the turbo is too soft to hear over the loud transmission.

The ECU is definitely holding the car back until warmed up. Driving aggressively seems to bypass this but should obviously be avoided as it says so in the manual.

OP
OP
Lcifer

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
40F this morning. After cold start in the Type R, initially the boost gauge was limited to -4 psi in casual driving and I did not hear the turbo spool. A significant amount of throttle was needed to get to turbo spinning (feels like ECON mode in my CR-V). After about 5 minutes the boost was up to "0 psi" and could barely hear the turbo until the oil warmed up.

I believe the same occurs in my CR-V (1.5L turbo, CVT) but there is no boost gauge and the turbo is too soft to hear over the loud transmission.

The ECU is definitely holding the car back until warmed up. Driving aggressively seems to bypass this but should obviously be avoided as it says so in the manual.
I will admit there is a clear difference in the way it feels so it might be limiting mechanically but that in dash one just reads the same numbers no matter what it seems like 0psi when cruising -4/3/2/1 when off throttle and 16 when pedal is on the floor don't get me wrong the little bar moves up and down but it doesn't feel like the gauge is accurate at all based on how much different the car feels performance wise between the two based on that alone the ECU is most likely protecting the turbo from abuse while the "dash boost gauge" seems to be mostly for show

Edit: random thought could possibly be I don't have a over the air update as well I have yet to connect it to a wifi yet as I did just realize it could do that but even more stuff I know nothing about on this gen of Honda yet last 3 I had was a 93,95,99 all turbo built b16 swaps all this tech stuff built in blows my mind a bit

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I will admit there is a clear difference in the way it feels so it might be limiting mechanically but that in dash one just reads the same numbers no matter what it seems like 0psi when cruising -4/3/2/1 when off throttle and 16 when pedal is on the floor don't get me wrong the little bar moves up and down but it doesn't feel like the gauge is accurate at all based on how much different the car feels performance wise between the two based on that alone the ECU is most likely protecting the turbo from abuse while the "dash boost gauge" seems to be mostly for show

Edit: random thought could possibly be I don't have a over the air update as well I have yet to connect it to a wifi yet as I did just realize it could do that but even more stuff I know nothing about on this gen of Honda yet last 3 I had was a 93,95,99 all turbo built b16 swaps all this tech stuff built in blows my mind a bit
How do you update by connecting it to wifi? Does it auto update?

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
There is a reason why remote start exists.
So my wife can remote start it from the 3rd floor of her office building before she packs her bag, puts her shoes on, goes to the bathroom, chitchats with her coworkers on every floor on her way down so that by the time she's in the car 15 minutes later the engine's filled the entire exhaust train with moisture due to it sitting there for so long just idling?

himecraig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Mercedes 320slk 08 Ford Ranger fx4 17 Acura RDX adv 17 Honda Civic Hatch ex-l ns
Country flag
So my wife can remote start it from the 3rd floor of her office building before she packs her bag, puts her shoes on, goes to the bathroom, chitchats with her coworkers on every floor on her way down so that by the time she's in the car 15 minutes later the engine's filled the entire exhaust train with moisture due to it sitting there for so long just idling?
You can default to turn off after 10minutes iirc.
Eh...sounds like my wife a gals gal...I’m not going to sweat moisture since she makes me laugh

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
LOL thanks for the laugh, friend!

To anyone else reading this: The car shuts off after 10 minutes if no one gets into it and pushes the starter.

Also, your car will not explode in a fireball of shrapnel and death if it runs idle a few minutes like some people seem to think.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
LOL thanks for the laugh, friend!

To anyone else reading this: The car shuts off after 10 minutes if no one gets into it and pushes the starter.

Also, your car will not explode in a fireball of shrapnel and death if it runs idle a few minutes like some people seem to think.
Excessive idling is of absolutely no benefit to the car although people still do it as they like to hop into a warm vehicle. One minute of driving is probably equivalent to over 5 min of idling in sub zero weather.
Have we not read the post on here where he warmed up the car for 15 min and the temp gauge still didn't register. The most wear on the engine is occurring during the warm up period before reaching operating temp. No the engine is not going to explode but what is the purpose. Most people buy compact cars because there inexpensive and get good mileage but getting 0 mpg for over 10 minutes sort of defeats this. If you want a warm vehicle, you're better off buying a pair of gloves and a thicker jacket.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
There is a reason why remote start exists.
Remote start is the triumph of marketing over good sense. Engineers cringe but if there are a lot of dumbshits that want it and brand x offers it, we gotta offer it too.
Sponsored