Ok so now I have two questions

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
First why delete a post that simply asks a simple question in regards to getting more opinions on a very commonly uninformed information regarding mechanical parts on a car I listed both sides of the argument so let's try this again

His side
B. You don't need to idle a turbo engine for 5 minutes before driving or after driving, that's non sense. If you plan to cold start then drive the car hard, just drive it around easy a bit to warm it up first, that's it.

My side
You should at always let you turbo Civic warm up before driving hard to ensure the oil is at proper operating temp so that it can do it's job properly and due to the extreme amounts of heat that turbos build up when driving hard should always cool the motor while idle to keep said hot oil flowing instead of sitting in the house stagnant getting over heated and gunky causing unneeded wear on the turbo parts

How I'm sure alot of you have opinions on this feel free to add em but unless you got a master's degree in mechanical engineering it's just that a opinion not fact

Fact turbos spin at well over 100k rpm compared to the 1k-6k rpm of the engine now the engine also produces heat from the explosion created by the nature of the machine but a turbo is a moving part movement creates friction friction produces heat heat is displaced by the oil the oil is then cycled and cooled fact oil super heated for long periods of time breaks down turns to gunk gunk moves slow lubricates less reducing ability to move freely not moving freely causes strain strain causes breaks

Yes you could use the argument Honda wouldn't mass market something that needs to be warmed up and cooled off Honda not gonna replace turbos all day for free well your right they won't you failing to maintain your car properly = not covered by warranty plain and simple if your turbo breaks they take it apart it's full of gunk not covered
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lcifer

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Well if you don't wanna take my word for it watch the first two minutes of E.E. 5thing you should never do in a turbocharged car guys got a master's in mechanical engineering and uses his 2014 wrx sti as the example

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I remember the Mazda RX8 has to cool down after each drive before shutting off the car. Otherwise, the car would not start the next time.

OP
OP
Lcifer

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I remember the Mazda RX8 has to cool down after each drive before shutting off the car. Otherwise, the car would not start the next time.
Yeah buddy had that issue in his as well but those rotary motors are a pain to begin with lol

Empyrean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Not that I am super informed on this topic but we do have 0w-20 oil in our cars which runs at lower temperatures compared to the sti in the video which has 5w-30 and other cars.

OP
OP
Lcifer

Lcifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Again as stated this isn't talking about just normal day to day keeping it under 3k rpms this in reference to driving the car hard like riding them 4k-6.5k rpm range now keeping the engine rpms low yes it really doesn't matter to much about the warm up and cool down but in regard to actually push thru that power band and gears and yes the 0w-30 does make words of difference but better safe then sorry if you ask me and the most people who get paid to know these things and yes Honda engines are much better now then ever before 600m break in over the old 3k

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Does the 1.5L turbo limit boost on cold starts until the oil warms up?

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
The automotive industry has spent millions of dollars in research on engine wear. They know what causes it and how best to minimize it. There are dozens of SAE papers written on the subject. Jason's video, posted by Quicksipper, is right. The highest engine wear regime is the cold start/warm-up cycle. Part clearances are high, especially valvetrain parts, and that means more wear. The best way to mitigate the wear is to get moving right away after starting the car. Idling the engine warm does not put enough load on the engine to get it warmed quickly. Idling an engine warm causes the following problems:
1. excessive pollution
2. waste of fuel
3. higher engine wear
Higher engine wear because the engine spends a prolonged time in the high-wear warm-up regime. That's why no manufacturer recommends idling your engine warm. Transmissions, CV joints, wheel bearings, etc. need to be warmed up also and the only practical way to warm them is to get moving. Getting moving right away and putting the engine under moderate load is the best thing to do from a wear, economy, and pollution standpoint. I would never buy a used car from somebody that idles their engine warm.

As far as turbo cool down; modern API SN, ILSAC GF5 oils can handle the heat and the exhaust manifold is water cooled which reduces turbo temps. If Honda thought it was necessary for cool down they would warn you in the manual. Keep in mind that even warm idling is a high-wear regime because oil pressure is low and parts are moving slowly over each other which means they are more likely to break through the hydrodynamic oil film. It's best to avoid warm idling also if possible.

Last edited:

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
The best way to mitigate the wear is to get moving right away after starting the car. Idling the engine warm does not put enough load on the engine to get it warmed quickly. Idling an engine
Which is fine if you live in Florida. But up here in the North, I have no choice but to run my car idle in the morning before work, otherwise I would not be able to see anything out of the windows. It does not defrost that fast. I wish it did.

I long for the day I will have a garage. Hopefully some day sooner rather than later.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Which is fine if you live in Florida. But up here in the North, I have no choice but to run my car idle in the morning before work, otherwise I would not be able to see anything out of the windows. It does not defrost that fast. I wish it did.

I long for the day I will have a garage. Hopefully some day sooner rather than later.
Garages are great. I am garageless right now and I hate it. Still, I scrape ice and snow off my windows, start the engine, and immediately get moving. If there's any way you can manage it, a block heater saves a lot of money in fuel and engine wear. You can try that antifreeze stuff for getting ice off the glass fast.

Always allow the engine to warm before revving it or accelerating in a spirited
way.
Exactly. Don't beat on a cold engine whether turbo or not.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag