ok now im confused: arent the hatchbacks supposed to pop open (trunk area)?

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Accord HB?
Problably crosstour.. However if i remember right the crosstour behaved more like a traditional trunk.. Up down movement.. Were as the civic hatch is more like a minivan out and up movement
Sponsored

fg2kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1991 Civic DX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Never in my life have I seen a hatchback where the remote "pops" the hatch, unless it is power operated. This isn't Honda being cheap, it's just what makes sense. Even if it did pop the hatch, the gas struts wouldn't have enough strength to push it fully open.

As for the button on the remote, it's meant to be used so that you don't have to unlock every door just to get something from the cargo area.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Never in my life have I seen a hatchback where the remote "pops" the hatch, unless it is power operated. This isn't Honda being cheap, it's just what makes sense. Even if it did pop the hatch, the gas struts wouldn't have enough strength to push it fully open.

As for the button on the remote, it's meant to be used so that you don't have to unlock every door just to get something from the cargo area.
That amd why spend the time doing the r&d to make a remote that removes the button.. You have an existing remote make use of it..

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag

Makes no sense. All cars that have this button on the fob (regardless of manufacturer) either pop the trunk or hatch, or fully open it. This button on the Civic hatch just literally unlocks, which is absolutely useless (especially with the smart entry system).

fg2kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 1991 Civic DX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Makes no sense. All cars that have this button on the fob (regardless of manufacturer) either pop the trunk or hatch, or fully open it. This button on the Civic hatch just literally unlocks, which is absolutely useless (especially with the smart entry system).
I agree that having the remote button with smart entry is kind of silly, but it's probably more of a parts-sharing thing. Regardless, the main idea is that you press the button, get what you need, close the hatch, and the car returns to its fully locked state.

What would be the point of popping the hatch anyways? You have to reach for the handle to open it the rest of the way. The handle which has an opener button built into it.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Worked the same on our last crv.. So not the only vehicle out there

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
I have a 13 civic and an 08 Accord. Both pop the trunk with the remote.

This version on my 17 HB is dumb, worthless and redundant considering we have smart entry. Really lame Honda.

With my 13 Ford Escape, I have Intelligent Access, so I just walk up to my trunk and push the button. It already knows I'm there and the other doors stay locked. All this requires is another proximity antenna in the rear dedicated for the truck and programmed to the BCM. Another 25 cents in parts since Ford probably bought a gazillion of them.

Just plain stupid Honda.

Last edited:

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
The big button is indeed to open it, the small button is to lock the car after you've closed the hatch. But it doesn't have power openers so it only pops a very little bit just like another other non power hatch or trunk.

And you don't need to use the remote to unlock the hatch if the car is locked - there's a proximity sensor on the hatch by the big button that works like the front doors that detects your hand behind the handle.

conbrio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback 6MT SGP sport touring
Country flag
People, it's not a luxury car, it's a Civic! For the hatch to open, it would have added to the cost of the vehicle and the weight too for stronger door openers.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
What would be the point of popping the hatch anyways? You have to reach for the handle to open it the rest of the way. The handle which has an opener button built into it.
Big +1 to this.

It's literally no more difficult than pushing a button on the remote to pop open the latch and then lift the hatch up. It might even be easier with the Smart Entry feature because I don't have to reach for my remote anymore like I did with my EP3.

The only way to make it appreciably easier is to have a powered strut to lift the hatch hands-free -- and then, to take advantage of it, it'd be worth having one of those sensors under the bumper so you just wave your foot underneath while you're carrying your groceries. But that's expensive, complex, and another electrical thing to break.

Synomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatch
Country flag
So I don't remember what version of the 2017 Civic I was sitting in at the dealer, but it had a button next to the cup-holder on the driver side door that popped the hatch and / or trunk. I just noticed today on my '17 Sport Touring that I don't have this.

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
So I don't remember what version of the 2017 Civic I was sitting in at the dealer, but it had a button next to the cup-holder on the driver side door that popped the hatch and / or trunk. I just noticed today on my '17 Sport Touring that I don't have this.
My previous '16 Coupe LX has this button; I assume that all the coupes and sedans have it. The key's trunk button could be held to "pop" the trunk open, same as the button on the door.

I was surprised my new Hatchback Sport did not have this button, until I realized the button on the key only unlocks it before you must manually open by hand. Doesn't bother me that you have to open it this way.

Evolution999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me: 2014 Evo X MR, 2014 Nissan 370Z Nimso, For the mrs: 2015 BMW M3 Sedan
Country flag
I do not believe any hatchback pops open for US market cars. They sell aftermarket pop kits or fit other market parts where hatch popping is allowed. I am guessing but it may be a safety related law in the US and I am also guessing that the sedan and coupe civics do pop when hold the button correct?
Sponsored