ok now im confused: arent the hatchbacks supposed to pop open (trunk area)?

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I do not believe any hatchback pops open for US market cars. They sell aftermarket pop kits or fit other market parts where hatch popping is allowed. I am guessing but it may be a safety related law in the US and I am also guessing that the sedan and coupe civics do pop when hold the button correct?
They do pop open, but only partially. You still need to lift it by hand to actually open up and access the trunk. EDIT: Coupe trunk pops open, hatch does not.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Evolution999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me: 2014 Evo X MR, 2014 Nissan 370Z Nimso, For the mrs: 2015 BMW M3 Sedan
Country flag
They do pop open, but only partially. You still need to lift it by hand to actually open up and access the trunk.
Thank goodness for that. Hatches encroach on standing space and vehicle space and hatches popping and lifting open could be disasterous. I could see somebody suing after knocking themselves out or their significant other out by accidentally popping the hatch

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
I think many folks are confused about the term "popping" the hatch. This merely means that the hatch is popped open about 1/4" inch, just enough to separate it from the latch.

Now, if we want to talk about a power lift gate, then let's use the correct term. A power lift gate is completely automated and requires completely different hardware.

I think most of us are talking about POPPING the hatch open. It's not going to knock anybody out because it moves 1/4" to 1/2".

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
I think many folks are confused about the term "popping" the hatch. This merely means that the hatch is popped open about 1/4" inch, just enough to separate it from the latch.

Now, if we want to talk about a power lift gate, then let's use the correct term. A power lift gate is completely automated and requires completely different hardware.

I think most of us are talking about POPPING the hatch open. It's not going to knock anybody out because it moves 1/4" to 1/2".
Agreed.

The hatchback does NEITHER of these functions. :) /end thread.

alpineshepherd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I edited my last post. It's only the Coupe/Sedan that pops, the hatch only unlocks. From what I can tell the hatch doesn't move any visible amount - it unlocks and then you have to use the button on the handle to release/open up the hatch.

The coupe literally pops and makes a sound, but only ends up lifting a few inches.

HayaiKuruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatchback EX
Country flag
I edited my last post. It's only the Coupe/Sedan that pops, the hatch only unlocks. From what I can tell the hatch doesn't move any visible amount - it unlocks and then you have to use the button on the handle to release/open up the hatch.

The coupe literally pops and makes a sound, but only ends up lifting a few inches.
Yeah, that's probably why Honda didn't do this with the hatch. Even lifting it an inch or two by popping it just doesn't work with the cantilevered leverage in weight that the hatch has.

I did walk outside and walk up to the hatch and it does go into "ready to open" mode as soon as I push the open button. It's not too bad.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe if you can find something like in this movie for a Honda, it's possible :

Syco54645

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Ex Hatch, Nissan Altima
Country flag
Never in my life have I seen a hatchback where the remote "pops" the hatch, unless it is power operated. This isn't Honda being cheap, it's just what makes sense. Even if it did pop the hatch, the gas struts wouldn't have enough strength to push it fully open.

As for the button on the remote, it's meant to be used so that you don't have to unlock every door just to get something from the cargo area.
It is like some people just want to find issues. I have owned nothing but hatches my entire life. Never had one that popped. Nor would I want that to happen. A coupe/sedan popping is one thing. Barely opens. A hatch popping is gonna open and could cause damage. If opened accidentally it would be a huge flag for would be crooks.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Here is the theoretical background for car opening science.
Hatchbacks are called 3 or 5-door bodies. The hatch is treated like another car door. Car doors don’t pop open when you unlock them, do they? Unless they are motorized, like the hatches or sliding doors in minivans.
Trunks, hoods and fuel covers are not like car doors and they often pop up when unlocked.

Starion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mitsubishi Starion - modded
Country flag
I'm with the crowd wanting it to pop open, as in "unlatch". The extra button is nothing but redundant to the unlock button. No scenario where the lock button isn't needed after closing anyhow so the unluck is used to unlock (not unlatch) it.

My 04 Saturn Ion would actually pop/unlatch the trunk and it was very helpful when holding stuff. I'd hit the key, pick up stuff and be able to easily open the back (vs. needing free fingers to get in there for the button to unlatch).

IMO it's not being picky, it's expecting a normal feature to function as it should vs something that does absolutely no good.

...or that 3rd button do something else actually useful. It's a tease as is.

Glad I looked for this before taking it in. Would've felt like a dufus, but I'll lay that claim on this cheaply useless design.
Sponsored