Ok, getting tired of this....

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Third one on 2nd gen x !!!!!! Rogue pebble on the interstate, ran the heater too soon this morning now have a foot long crack. Kind of worried because of the sensing device, if it will be a problem to replace correctly. So sad

6CDB2639-E59F-4876-874B-BC1B100C7DCA.jpeg
Damn, that hurts for sure. Funny thing, my breakage was almost identical to yours! Started with a small nick then the crack started running. I was soooo pissed.

And, yeah, I'm super paranoid with any truck especially gravel haulers. I keep waaaaay back or move the fk outta the way asap. I never linger behind those bastards. But my particular chip came outta nowhere! No gravel truck or hauler in front of me.

The aftermarket glass replacement is 50/50. I tried that first and the assembly on the glass didn't line up with the camera assembly on the car. So I said screw it and went straight to OEM (Pilkington) and it installed no problem. The crappy part is the cost to recalibrate the camera which I got prices from $250 to $400 dollars! I went with the least expensive bid but it was still at a Honda dealership. No issues with camera or honda sensing after the recalibration. Good luck.
Sponsored

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Damn, that hurts for sure. Funny thing, my breakage was almost identical to yours! Started with a small nick then the crack started running. I was soooo pissed.

And, yeah, I'm super paranoid with any truck especially gravel haulers. I keep waaaaay back or move the fk outta the way asap. I never linger behind those bastards. But my particular chip came outta nowhere! No gravel truck or hauler in front of me.

The aftermarket glass replacement is 50/50. I tried that first and the assembly on the glass didn't line up with the camera assembly on the car. So I said screw it and went straight to OEM (Pilkington) and it installed no problem. The crappy part is the cost to recalibrate the camera which I got prices from $250 to $400 dollars! I went with the least expensive bid but it was still at a Honda dealership. No issues with camera or honda sensing after the recalibration. Good luck.
Do you know if the Calibration can only be performed by Honda tech? Geico is sending me to Safelite, but it will be OEM because the car is less than a year old

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just curious, but when I had to take my bumper on last month, I had the auto body shop look at my glass and told them what was going on with it chilling so badly.
He said usually they use pilkington be as someone mentioned, but mine isn't and he couldn't tell what it was. What other suppliers do they use for oem ?

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you know if the Calibration can only be performed by Honda tech? Geico is sending me to Safelite, but it will be OEM because the car is less than a year old
I know safelite says they can do the calibration but I've never seen them do it or if they are using the same equipment that Honda uses. I ended up taking the car to Honda to let them do it.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
I'm at 2k miles now and have no issues with glass or paint chips but I also make it a point to keep quite a bit of distance between me and the traffic in front of me.

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OEM glass suppliers for Honda are PPG, Pilkington, and AGC (Asahi Glass).

ziludood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2021 Tesla MYP, 2008 BMW 335i
Country flag
Thia is not due to Honda cheaping out but rather improved safety. I have the same issue with my BMW 335i. Tons of chips and have had it replaced twice now. The windshield is soft incase you hit a pedestrian, it will minimize the impact.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Thia is not due to Honda cheaping out but rather improved safety. I have the same issue with my BMW 335i. Tons of chips and have had it replaced twice now. The windshield is soft incase you hit a pedestrian, it will minimize the impact.
I easily broke a windshield with my head when I was a child riding a bike. This was a traditional windshield from the last century and it completely exploded to tiny pieces. My head went into the car and I looked at the driver and his passenger before sliding off the hood. I don't see how it could be any better. I believe I would have suffered much worse injuries, such as a severe concussion, if the windshield was soft but resisted breaking. I see new windshields that crack but don't fall apart. May be good for the driver/passengers but not for pedestrians.

If I had hit this Tesla I could be dead now.

ziludood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2021 Tesla MYP, 2008 BMW 335i
Country flag
I easily broke a windshield with my head when I was a child riding a bike. This was a traditional windshield from the last century and it completely exploded to tiny pieces. My head went into the car and I looked at the driver and his passenger before sliding off the hood. I don't see how it could be any better. I believe I would have suffered much worse injuries, such as a severe concussion, if the windshield was soft but resisted breaking. I see new windshields that crack but don't fall apart. May be good for the driver/passengers but not for pedestrians.

If I had hit this Tesla I could be dead now.

That sounds crazy. Glad you're still with us.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So after just having random chips all over, but still most of the windshield unchiped, I go out today and find that it looks like a bunch of gravel was thrown on it, little tiny pits all over the WHOLE windshield.
Don't have any clue how it happened cause I obviously want in the car when it it did, but the other day, I noticed all these small rocks next to my car where I park it. Didn't think anything of it at the time, but it was tons like it was spilled off a truck or something.
So now it's very irritating cause I can't look anywhere through the windshield in the sun without seeing a bunch of little chips. SMH

Last edited:

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
So after just having random chips all over, but still most of the windshield unchiped, I go out today and find that it looks like a bunch of gravel was thrown on it, little tiny pits all over the WHOLE windshield.
Don't have any clue how it happened cause I obviously want in the car when it it did, but the other day, I noticed all these small rocks next to my car where I park it. Didn't think anything of it at the time, but it was tons like it was spilled off a truck or something.
So now it's very irritating cause I can't look anywhere through the windshield in the sun without seeing a bunch of little chips. SMH
Somebody throwing rocks at your car ?

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Somebody throwing rocks at your car ?
I don't think that's the case, this was way too many rocks to be thrown that were laying there. I have no clue really, it's just annoying. I almost wish a rock would hit it and do enough damage to get it replaced, lol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback EX
Country flag
Read this thread (and many others) before buying my hatchback; figured I'd chance it.

My first drive as owner, no more than 4 miles from the dealership, got the classic nickel sized pebble-induced spiderweb. Fortunately it's behind the rear view mirror so I don't have to look at it until it's fixed; just hoping it doesn't spread before I can get it in.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Read this thread (and many others) before buying my hatchback; figured I'd chance it.

My first drive as owner, no more than 4 miles from the dealership, got the classic nickel sized pebble-induced spiderweb. Fortunately it's behind the rear view mirror so I don't have to look at it until it's fixed; just hoping it doesn't spread before I can get it in.
I know that had to piss you off. I would of been livid.
Sponsored