Ok gas prices are getting ridiculous....Regular in this car?

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
I only hammer my car on ramps, so I'm averaging over 32 mpg. Makes premium easier to swallow. (tastes better than regular too).
Sponsored

vitooooo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VIC
Country flag
This shit is starting to get irritating.....Pretty soon I'm not going to be able to afford to get to work putting Premium 93 in this vehicle.

I'm wondering could the CTR handle regular gas until this gets sorted out? I'm thinking 87 or 89 for a couple of months should be fine for this car right? until the prices start to settle hopefully.

When I read a post like this, here is what it tells me about you.......

You are driving a car that you can not afford

SethNES

Banned
Banned
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I only hammer my car on ramps, so I'm averaging over 32 mpg. Makes premium easier to swallow. (tastes better than regular too).
Do you prefer your premium with red or white meat? Sorry for newb question just started tasting myself.

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
When I read a post like this, here is what it tells me about you.......

You are driving a car that you can not afford
That makes no sense......if gas was $3.58 for premium when I purchased the car. I was able to comfortably drive the car, maintain it and purchase it with no issues. All of a sudden gas a needed commodity in said car that requires it to run shoots up to $6 almost $7 a gallon that has nothing to do with if I could afford the car or not. Tell that to the majority of people who have Trucks paid off but are hurting because they have to put gas in it.....does that mean they can't afford the truck all of a sudden that they paid off?

We have no control over the change in price of needed resources.

Your logic is flawed..I can control my expenses and what I can buy or not buy. I do not control the greed of oil companies therefore when unexpected prices go up it has nothing to do if I can afford something or not. I brought my car in confidence with alot of money left over in my bills to take care of my needs. You don't know what you are talking about....

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
That makes no sense......if gas was $3.58 for premium when I purchased the car. I was able to comfortably drive the car, maintain it and purchase it with no issues. All of a sudden gas a needed commodity in said car that requires it to run shoots up to $6 almost $7 a gallon that has nothing to do with if I could afford the car or not. Tell that to the majority of people who have Trucks paid off but are hurting because they have to put gas in it.....does that mean they can't afford the truck all of a sudden that they paid off?

Your logic is flawed..I can control my expenses and what I can buy or not buy. I do not control the greed of oil companies therefore when unexpected prices go up it has nothing to do if I can afford something or not. I brought my car in confidence with alot of money left over in my bills to take care of my needs. You don't know what you are talking about....
I mean, I knew you were using hyperbole to make a point, in all our budgets all prices lately have increased along with gas. I know that I see a difference in my outgoing vs. incoming. (Income vs. expenses).

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I saw gas under $5 for premium when I filled up the other day and almost orgasmed.

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I mean, I knew you were using hyperbole to make a point, in all our budgets all prices lately have increased along with gas. I know that I see a difference in my outgoing vs. incoming. (Income vs. expenses).
Yeah lol I was trying to make the point as best as I could. Maybe I should've ignored the guy....to me it seems trollish and seems like he is a hater might not even own a Type R

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
3.70 at Costco filling up the RS3 today - it's coming down here and there.

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR(sold) DE5 Acura Integra
Country flag
So the president was getting blamed for gas prices being high, who’s getting credit now that gas prices are coming down?

Tonycivicboi

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Honestly can't even drive my car anymore. Got about $300 in the bank and each gas refill hurts so bad

PMM 17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

Ok I'll chime in and go down the rabbit hole a bit on this. I believe this has been mentioned before, but there seems to be some confusion about two seemingly similar points that are actually rather different.

One point is what you are mentioning in your comment here. Gas price today vs price x years ago.

The other point is the price of premium gas vs regular.

Per your comment, I am reading it as you are saying that it's unfair to claim that you can't afford the car if you are struggling with fuel costs gong up. Let's look at some hypothetical numbers. Let's say you fill about 10 gallons each time you refuel. This is roughly how much it takes to fill my car if I refuel right when the low fuel light comes on. With premium being $3.58 before vs $7 now, you will be paying $70 to fill today vs $35.80 before. A difference of $34.20. If you fill once a week, assuming 4 weeks per month, that's $143.2 then vs $280 now, for an increase of $136.80 a month more than when you first got your car. This is a sizeable increase in monthly expenses, just for gas.

So if you had a monthly gas budget of $200 a month, you could afford the car when you first purchased it. All else remaining the same, if going over that budget is too much to bear, then no you can't really afford the car anymore. Unfortunately if you don't have the funds to cover the bottom line cost for something, you can't afford it.

What I think is being neglected though, is recognizing that regular gas has gone up too. People with payed off cars buying regular will still be spending the same $136.80 a month more than they used to. (assuming they are buying the same amount of 40 gallons a month in the example) I am sure that there are a lot of people who are struggling to deal with an expense increase of that magnitude, and some may not be able to afford to drive at all.

However the original question of the thread asks about the other point, using regular instead of premium. The thing about this is the difference between regular and premium is only about 40 cents per gallon.
Honda Civic 10th gen Ok gas prices are getting ridiculous....Regular in this car? 1660086043851

This means in the same hypothetical example above, pumping 40 gallons a month of regular vs premium is only a saving of $16 a month (40gal X $0.40). So assuming that you need to drive the same amount regardless of the gas prices, the monthly savings by filling with regular are not significant. And if that $16 is the difference between making ends meet and incurring debt, I think it is reasonable to say that there was not sufficient financial buffer to make owning this car reasonable.

Obviously your experience may vary a bit depending on how much you actually drive each month.

TLDR: Gas has gone up a ton for regular gas too over the years. I don't think saving ~$16 a month by switching to regular, from premium, should make a significant financial difference that would make any risk to the ctr's engine, by doing so, worth it.

Real TLDR: Gas expensive for all now. Regular not much cheaper, so not worth.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok I'll chime in and go down the rabbit hole a bit on this. I believe this has been mentioned before, but there seems to be some confusion about two seemingly similar points that are actually rather different.

One point is what you are mentioning in your comment here. Gas price today vs price x years ago.

The other point is the price of premium gas vs regular.

Per your comment, I am reading it as you are saying that it's unfair to claim that you can't afford the car if you are struggling with fuel costs gong up. Let's look at some hypothetical numbers. Let's say you fill about 10 gallons each time you refuel. This is roughly how much it takes to fill my car if I refuel right when the low fuel light comes on. With premium being $3.58 before vs $7 now, you will be paying $70 to fill today vs $35.80 before. A difference of $34.20. If you fill once a week, assuming 4 weeks per month, that's $143.2 then vs $280 now, for an increase of $136.80 a month more than when you first got your car. This is a sizeable increase in monthly expenses, just for gas.

So if you had a monthly gas budget of $200 a month, you could afford the car when you first purchased it. All else remaining the same, if going over that budget is too much to bear, then no you can't really afford the car anymore. Unfortunately if you don't have the funds to cover the bottom line cost for something, you can't afford it.

What I think is being neglected though, is recognizing that regular gas has gone up too. People with payed off cars buying regular will still be spending the same $136.80 a month more than they used to. (assuming they are buying the same amount of 40 gallons a month in the example) I am sure that there are a lot of people who are struggling to deal with an expense increase of that magnitude, and some may not be able to afford to drive at all.

However the original question of the thread asks about the other point, using regular instead of premium. The thing about this is the difference between regular and premium is only about 40 cents per gallon.
1660086043851.png

This means in the same hypothetical example above, pumping 40 gallons a month of regular vs premium is only a saving of $16 a month (40gal X $0.40). So assuming that you need to drive the same amount regardless of the gas prices, the monthly savings by filling with regular are not significant. And if that $16 is the difference between making ends meet and incurring debt, I think it is reasonable to say that there was not sufficient financial buffer to make owning this car reasonable.

Obviously your experience may vary a bit depending on how much you actually drive each month.

TLDR: Gas has gone up a ton for regular gas too over the years. I don't think saving ~$16 a month by switching to regular, from premium, should make a significant financial difference that would make any risk to the ctr's engine, by doing so, worth it.

Real TLDR: Gas expensive for all now. Regular not much cheaper, so not worth.
Bottom line is, this country sucks ass right now.

vitooooo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VIC
Country flag
That makes no sense......

It makes perfect sense,

Even if you go through a tank of gas per week, with the increased gas prices, it probably only works out to be about $150 to $200 more per month

Anybody who owns a vehicle should have an extra $200 a month for maintenance and repairs,

What if you needed a brake job, or new tires? What if you fried your clutch? What if a wheel bearing went bad? What if you needed new control arm bushings?

Your telling me you wouldn't have money to replace/repair those items,

If you can't afford the maintenance and repairs, you can't afford the vehicle.

What do you do when you need maintenance if you can't afford gas?

How do you pay for oil changes? Tranny changes? Etc etc?

Last edited: