stickshiftnewbie

First Name
Phel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen SI
Country flag
I’m thinking on buying a cold air intake specifically prl cobra or 27won but the diffrence of those two are prl has an oiled filter while the 27won has dried filter, just wanna know which one is more convenient and easy to maintain, thanks
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
After owning 5 cars over a term of 18 yrs using oiled filter and never had a problem. You know where my vote go.
Keep in mind that maintenance all depends on manufacturer instructions. Some can go up to 100K miles others 50K miles before servicing them.

OP
OP

stickshiftnewbie

First Name
Phel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen SI
Country flag
After owning 5 cars over a term of 18 yrs using oiled filter and never had a problem. You know where my vote go.
Keep in mind that maintenance all depends on manufacturer instructions. Some can go up to 100K miles others 50K miles before servicing them.
Ok thanks

Mogadee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Mazdaspeed 3, '17 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
I’m thinking on buying a cold air intake specifically prl cobra or 27won but the diffrence of those two are prl has an oiled filter while the 27won has dried filter, just wanna know which one is more convenient and easy to maintain, thanks
Dry. If you accidentally over oil, you risk screwing the MAF up. Made that mistake on a previous car. $300 lesson learned.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Beyond the oiled/non-oiled, the 27Won will be easier to service/maintain just because the filter sits up in the engine bay. It will also run hotter for the reason in all likelihood. The numbers may not back that up, but general consensus is that from purely performance perspective PRL remains the best option. Now, you can order a dry filter and put it on the PRL (it would just cost an additional $50). I actually tried doing that and ended up ordering the wrong filter from AEM (it was too tall to fit). If, per chance, anyone has the part number for the AEM filter that would fit, I would be happy to know.

OP
OP

stickshiftnewbie

First Name
Phel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen SI
Country flag
Beyond the oiled/non-oiled, the 27Won will be easier to service/maintain just because the filter sits up in the engine bay. It will also run hotter for the reason in all likelihood. The numbers may not back that up, but general consensus is that from purely performance perspective PRL remains the best option. Now, you can order a dry filter and put it on the PRL (it would just cost an additional $50). I actually tried doing that and ended up ordering the wrong filter from AEM (it was too tall to fit). If, per chance, anyone has the part number for the AEM filter that would fit, I would be happy to know.
Ooh okay, good to know, thanks!!

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I had a Honda Fit with a Oiled K&N filter, while my girlfriend had a Toyota Prius that we only used paper filters on. Both had over 100,000 miles. I was curious so I went and took the filters out and ran my finger on the inside of the air intakes on both cars. My Fit has some fine dirt particles stuck to the inside of the intake. While my girlfriends Prius was spotless. It was super clean. Well now we both have brand new civics and they will only use paper filters for sure. I know people will argue that you get more flow from a oiled filter and that might be true. But I would rather keep clean air flowing in my intake then get the extra 5 horsepower and dirty intake lol. Why do you think the best filters for your home are paper? I guess you can compare an oiled filter to the fiberglass filters you can get for your home. You can see through it just like you can see through an oiled car filter. Yeah it gets more flow but also let’s dirt and dust through. Just my opinion on the subject

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
dry. ive never liked those oily ass filters.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Oiled is the way to go performance wise, and so is the PRL intake. If you can't oil a filter correctly, you probably shouldn't be doing much under the hood of a car. I've done them quite a few times on my last car and it's easy to clean without over doing the oil on the filter. I usually buy a second filter to swap and clean so you always have one on hand anyways. Mishimoto has a great write of the difference between the two: https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2016/11/filtering-right-stuff-dry-vs-oiled-air-filters/

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
I have used K&N oiled filters on everything I've driven since around 2000. Never had one single issue. I did add outerwears to those that were offroad vehicles and the outerwears did an excellent job of keeping the fine dust out and also repels water splashes. I cannot say that the non-oiled are any better or worse, but I've never had a failure in anything from my ATVs to my Jeep, to my fire breathing turbo street/track car. I literally run them on everything but my lawn mower. I am a firm believer in it. Oh my street Hemi Jeep Commander, I probably picked up 15whp by adding the cold air intake...the stock intake was massive and restricting to keep the V8 noise down. Now I can hear that Hemi ROAR when I step on it. Also picked up MPG gain with them, on almost all vehicles.

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Oiled is the way to go performance wise, and so is the PRL intake. If you can't oil a filter correctly, you probably shouldn't be doing much under the hood of a car. I've done them quite a few times on my last car and it's easy to clean without over doing the oil on the filter. I usually buy a second filter to swap and clean so you always have one on hand anyways. Mishimoto has a great write of the difference between the two: https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2016/11/filtering-right-stuff-dry-vs-oiled-air-filters/
I've used K&N on many vehicles over 30 years of driving. I did have one that dirtied the MAF and needed cleaning for the vehicle to run smoothly. This was 4 years ago on an Accord Sport. It wasn't over oiled by me. It was over oiled from the factory and came out of the box like that. This is a very rare occurrence I'm sure but I prefer dry when that option exists. Slightly less airflow for slightly better filtration.

Last edited:

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
This is what it looks like when you hold up a oiled filter to a light. Yes those are small holes you see. That’s where the fine dust particles go through. A paper filter will not let these particles through. So that’s why you can get more flow out of an oiled filter and might never have problems. I had one in my Chevy Silverado for 200,000 miles and didn’t have a problem. But I know if you want the cleanest air going into your intake then a good quality paper filter is your best bet

Honda Civic 10th gen Oiled or dry intake filter? 30EB535A-B95A-4CC1-861E-55D684A620F7

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
This is what it looks like when you hold up a oiled filter to a light. Yes those are small holes you see. That’s where the fine dust particles go through. A paper filter will not let these particles through. So that’s why you can get more flow out of an oiled filter and might never have problems. I had one in my Chevy Silverado for 200,000 miles and didn’t have a problem. But I know if you want the cleanest air going into your intake then a good quality paper filter is your best bet

30EB535A-B95A-4CC1-861E-55D684A620F7.jpeg
Which is why, no matter what filter you run, if in dusty conditions, you should always run an outerwears filter sock. Heck, not even a bad idea on street cars. But we're talking street cars that see very little...and for some, zero dust. I run outerwears filters on my jeeps, but street cars, neah...never had a failure in 25 years or premature wear
Sponsored