Oil

NightTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, why do some of you choose to use an alternative oil as opposed to the Honda 0W-20 Full Synthetic that the dealerships use?
Sponsored

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
My car is new and I plan to change oil in the dealership. Guess I will be using Honda oil.

Honda is known for its reliability so I have to trust their engineers to know what best for their engines. This includes oil type and maintenance schedule.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Just out of curiosity, why do some of you choose to use an alternative oil as opposed to the Honda 0W-20 Full Synthetic that the dealerships use?
Cause Honda doesn’t actually make their own oil. Mobil 1 makes it then Honda slaps their label on it and then prices it higher. You can get Mobil 1 fully synthetic for like 10$ after rebates.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Mobile One makes great oil.

For my previous car (MB CLK350), both the dealerships and myself used Mobile One 0w40. It was my daily commute and the engine still ran great when I sold the car after 230K miles.

In Toronto, the dealership told me that oil change costs $55-60 CAN and they do price-match other shops, like Costco. If this is true, there is no need to change oil myself. I will confirm this in my first oil change in 1-2 months.

hichamaziz

First Name
hicham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Cause Honda doesn’t actually make their own oil.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've done oil analysis on both Honda and AMSOIL. Both changed at 10,000 miles and both driven under as similar conditions/habit as possible. Both times the MM said oil was at 15% life.

The AMSOIL sheered less than the Honda oil at 10,000 miles, but both were still doing their job. I think 10,000 is too long on Honda oil, but AMSOIL could go past if you wanted. Again, this is with my driving habits and route, YMMV.

I plan on keeping this car until the wheels fall off, so longevity is a concern for me. I feel more comfortable with the AMSOIL report, so the added price is justified to me.

Attachments

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I've done oil analysis on both Honda and AMSOIL. Both changed at 10,000 miles and both driven under as similar conditions/habit as possible. Both times the MM said oil was at 15% life.
The AMSOIL sheered less than the Honda oil at 10,000 miles, but both were still doing their job. I think 10,000 is too long on Honda oil, but AMSOIL could go past if you wanted. Again, this is with my driving habits and route, YMMV.
I plan on keeping this car until the wheels fall off, so longevity is a concern for me. I feel more comfortable with the AMSOIL report, so the added price is justified to me.
The way it is going, I think I will have my first oil change in 10K KM (6K miles). The current mileage is 6K KM and the MM says 40% left. So, this turns out OK with Honda oil.

BTW. Is this Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil what you are referring to?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The way it is going, I think I will have my first oil change in 10K KM (6K miles). The current mileage is 6K KM and the MM says 40% left. So, this turns out OK with Honda oil.

BTW. Is this Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil what you are referring to?
Yup, this is the one I've been putting in. I'm also using Honda OEM oil filters. Picked up a 6 pack on Amazon for really cheap with crush washers.

I also don't think I'd use AMSOIL if I was changing less than 10,000 miles between intervals... too expensive.
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil ASM

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag

When you did the test did you test the Honda oil that came with the car originally? Or did you change the stock fluid then change with Honda oil again to test? I’d assume the stock oil that game with car would have the most ware particles since the engine is just breaking in.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When you did the test did you test the Honda oil that came with the car originally? Or did you change the stock fluid then change with Honda oil again to test? I’d assume the stock oil that game with car would have the most ware particles since the engine is just breaking in.
Good question, this was the second oil change. 10,000 miles to 20,000 miles. My first oil change was free from the dealership, so I took advantage of that. I assumed that was why the silicon count was elevated. It would have been even higher on the original oil.

Scarlet

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Civic LX Sedan - 1998 Civic Hatch - TBD Turbo Something - 2014 Honda Ruckus - 2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Changed mine for the first time recently, used Honda Semi-Synthetic 5w30 w/ Honda filter. The 5w30 holds up better to the terrible oil dilution these motors tend to have, runs smoother and is more responsive also. Everyone has their preference and opinion on this though, this is just mine.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Mine is CTR . Changed to 5w 30 extended performance with HKS Kuro filter . Engine sounds much smoother at high revs . Factory oil is only for 40 mpg that sort of thing at the expense of engine life .

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Changed mine for the first time recently, used Honda Semi-Synthetic 5w30 w/ Honda filter. The 5w30 holds up better to the terrible oil dilution these motors tend to have, runs smoother and is more responsive also. Everyone has their preference and opinion on this though, this is just mine.
First time I read that semi synthetic performs better than full synthetic but your experience and feel are most important to you.

If semi synthetic, what would be the oil change maintenace?

splat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Si
Country flag
I sent my factory fill oil to Blackstone, changed at ~5900 miles. I switched to Royal Purple 0w20 with an OEM filter, and will get the next oil change sample analyzed as well.

I'll try to post the full report later, but the summary was "so far, so good," Lots of metal and silicon from break-in. Some fuel present. "These engines shear the viscosity, whether or not fuel is present." If viscosity is what keeps engines happy, my numbers support shorter change intervals.
Sponsored