Oil temperature on track

m6ic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Does anyone have oil temp data on track with an oil cooler? I'm planning to buy a USR oil cooler but want to know if it's possible to keep the oil temp in the 220-230s.
Sponsored

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
it won't, it will just make you reach 260 slower. 2 laps later for precise. without some serious cooling mod the car will always get to 260+ oil temp on hot days (over 85), if you are fast enough. I won't worry about cooling unless you are experiencing it.

OP
OP
m6ic

m6ic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Well that certainly sucks. After reading through the F3 K20C1 manual from HPD that some on the forums talked about, it looks like they don't want the oil temp to exceed 240 degrees for 0w20. In that case I might have to switch to 5w30 and take a power and temperature penalty.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
Just go track it first and see what happens. People spends months or years planning mods and never actually get out there.

You might not be fast enough your first few times to even overheat

OP
OP
m6ic

m6ic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I'm confident it's not going to overheat or even pull power because my climate isn't even hot to begin with, plus the car already has cooling mods (PWR radiator and hood louver). The car doesn't have an oil temp sensor and only estimates it based on coolant temp, so oil temp doesn't impact the performance either ways.

The only concern I have is with the engine's longevity if the oil thins out too much.

Eugene_Fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic Type R FK8, 2018 RX350 base
Country flag
I'm confident it's not going to overheat or even pull power because my climate isn't even hot to begin with, plus the car already has cooling mods (PWR radiator and hood louver). The car doesn't have an oil temp sensor and only estimates it based on coolant temp, so oil temp doesn't impact the performance either ways.

The only concern I have is with the engine's longevity if the oil thins out too much.
Simple, just change oil more frequently. daily car usually change around 10000 miles and if you track a lot just do 7000 or 5000 miles interval.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Well that certainly sucks. After reading through the F3 K20C1 manual from HPD that some on the forums talked about, it looks like they don't want the oil temp to exceed 240 degrees for 0w20. In that case I might have to switch to 5w30 and take a power and temperature penalty.
Switching to higher viscosity might have the opposite effect on oil temperature. In exchange for the added benefits of a thicker oil, friction increases which technically would drive oil temps upward.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag

A quality 0W20 will be more than adequate if you arent worried about racing in hot climates. @Lust has several Blackstone lab reports that attest to that (iirc). Grab yourself some Motul 300V and have at it.

.grimace

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda CTR, 2022 Range Rover , 1990 CRX SI
Country flag
I’ve tracked a fk8 on 0w-20 so much you really have nothing to worry about. From mobil1, castrol synthetic or even motul 300v.

peolple really overthink it, just send it

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Just use a high quality oil that won’t shear. Motul 300v 0w-20 is a very capable oil and it can be run really hot without issues. Pressures are equally as important and the only time you should move up in weight is if you have low oil pressure.

Deleted member 54128

The oil pressure at stand at 80C must be at least 0.9 bar. If the oil is fresh, the oil pressure gauge is at a stand at 80C at 1.2-1.3 bar.
Sponsored