Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Ok so I've been posting a bit of threads only because I'm new to the game, but anyway I installed a 3"catless downpipe and frontpipe on and of course to no surprise I could smell the glorious ? CO which doesn't bother me. Today now being 8 days since install I occasionally smell burning oil ??. Now I used to have an 05 grand cherokee with the im not sure if anyone here knows absolutely horrible valve guide seal leakage. Not saying at all that that's what's happening here what so ever because I only 11k on the motor, but I am a little concerned as to what it could possibly be. Let me know thoughts please. Also I heard a couple pops on decel in 5th at a low rpm which kinda made me think of the low rpm pre ignition bullshit.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
How bad is that CO smell?

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe (gone). 2018 Accord EX-L 1.5t (gone) 2020 Audi Q3 S-Line. 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
Country flag
Pops on decel? like exhaust pops and burbles or like full on backfire pops? maybe look around the valve cover for an external oil leak or pull the undershield and look for oil build up on the shield. may be residual oil build up from a leak or something burning off every so often. start with what you can see before you start worrying about what you can't.

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
Pops on decel? like exhaust pops and burbles or like full on backfire pops? maybe look around the valve cover for an external oil leak or pull the undershield and look for oil build up on the shield. may be residual oil build up from a leak or something burning off every so often. start with what you can see before you start worrying about what you can't.
I popped the hood and didn't smell one bit oil. I can only smell it towards the back of the car every once in awhile while it's running.

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe (gone). 2018 Accord EX-L 1.5t (gone) 2020 Audi Q3 S-Line. 2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT
Country flag
I popped the hood and didn't smell one bit oil. I can only smell it towards the back of the car every once in awhile while it's running.
Is there any smoke from the exhaust with it? if so what color? could be an internal leak then but you'll usually get a bluish smoke with it.

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
No smoke that I've noticed but haven't really looked. The car only 11k on it

ATX_Si

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No smoke that I've noticed but haven't really looked. The car only 11k on it
i'd check it out. should do it even at idle. with only 11k i would be real surprised if you had a failed gasket letting oil burn up in the exhaust tho.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I think it was sarcasm, CO does not have a smell.
Yeah, I guess the occasional "CO smell" in the exhaust is sulfur (mostly hydrogen sulfide). It smells similar to the sulfur compounds added to natural gas to make it smelly.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Smell is most likely the "new" wearing off the DP/front-pipe. Unless you take a long 100+ mile ride, it takes several weeks to burn off all the "finishes" on/in the new exhaust. BTW following someone cat-less up a long incline smells terrible (CO, Sulphur, or whatever or not).

OP
OP
Jbegs2020

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
If it was sarcasm oh well idc. You all know what I meant, the catless exhaust smell. I know actual co has no smell I install co detectors in boats from time to time and well I guess they wouldn't make detectors if it had a smell lol
Sponsored