Oil residue and leak since new - dealer advise please

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I've got a similar leak that is either coming from the front main seal or the inspection cover.

I was thinking about picking up a tube of Honda bond and removing and resealing the inspection cover to see if it goes away. The dealer hasn't touched my car yet and if I can help it, they never will....

........until my AC fails.

I was having a much more severe leak, but I was also slightly overfilling my oil with around 4 quarts instead of 3.7. I drained maybe 1/4-1/3 quart out so the oil level reads between the dots on the dipstick and it's leaking far slower but still leaking.
Inspection cover?
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Yeah. Next to the front crank seal there is a timing chain inspection cover, held on by two bolts and Honda bond. I've heard it can be a common leak point.

It's the black plate on the lower left next to the crank seal hole.
Thanks for the pic. I just wish there was more room in this area so I could actually see where the leak is. As I see it now, it looks like it's coming from the front corner (car's right front) but I haven't gotten the best look around yet.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Thanks for the pic. I just wish there was more room in this area so I could actually see where the leak is. As I see it now, it looks like it's coming from the front corner (car's right front) but I haven't gotten the best look around yet.
I think the rotation of the crank and pulley are counterclockwise in this photo, which could potentially fling oil that migrates from the inspection cover leak forward and up.

ulieq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Coupe 2019
Country flag
If they can't fix it, it's a lemon dont' keep it make a complaint to honda of america.

BlackbettyFk_7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 hatchback sport
Country flag
I've got the exact same leak on my 2018 hatch. Pretty sure it's coming from the inspection cover. I guess I could just pull it off and re apply some Honda bond. The one time I took it to the dealer I had some kid tell me he couldn't find it. Even though I pointed right at it. In past my warranty so not sure they would even fix it if I took it in.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
One probable cause for oil to leak is when owners replace the Oil Filler Cap with an aftermarket. If you have done so, you might just be leaking from there.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I've got the exact same leak on my 2018 hatch. Pretty sure it's coming from the inspection cover. I guess I could just pull it off and re apply some Honda bond. The one time I took it to the dealer I had some kid tell me he couldn't find it. Even though I pointed right at it. In past my warranty so not sure they would even fix it if I took it in.
Resealing the cover is on my list of things to do. It was leaking a lot, but my oil was overfilled a bit. I just drained some oil out to bring the level right to the top mark on the dipstick and it leaks far less now.

Basically I just bought extra time before I try to reseal it.

BlackbettyFk_7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 hatchback sport
Country flag
Resealing the cover is on my list of things to do. It was leaking a lot, but my oil was overfilled a bit. I just drained some oil out to bring the level right to the top mark on the dipstick and it leaks far less now.

Basically I just bought extra time before I try to reseal it.
Are you supposed to drain the engine oil before removing it and resealing it? Thinking about doing it myself after I order some hondabond off Amazon

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Are you supposed to drain the engine oil before removing it and resealing it? Thinking about doing it myself after I order some hondabond off Amazon
The service manual procedure does not state it is required. I believe the cover is above the resting oil level provided you aren't overfilled.

I cannot guarantee this until I do it myself.

BlackbettyFk_7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 hatchback sport
Country flag
The service manual procedure does not state it is required. I believe the cover is above the resting oil level provided you aren't overfilled.

I cannot guarantee this until I do it myself.
I don't suppose you have a copy of that? I guess one of us will find out soon lol

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I don't suppose you have a copy of that? I guess one of us will find out soon lol
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil residue and leak since new - dealer advise please Screenshot_20200327-095221__01
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil residue and leak since new - dealer advise please Screenshot_20200327-095255__01
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil residue and leak since new - dealer advise please Screenshot_20200327-095357__01

I do not believe the "do not fill the engine with oil" means it needed to be drained for this specific part. However waiting 3 hours before starting the engine should be observed.

If you wanted to take no risks, you could do it the same time you do an oil change. Just drain the oil, reseal the part, wait the 30 minutes, and refill.

Last edited:

BlackbettyFk_7

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 hatchback sport
Country flag
Screenshot_20200327-095221__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200327-095255__01.jpg
Screenshot_20200327-095357__01.jpg

I do not believe the "do not fill the engine with oil" means it needed to be drained for this specific part. However waiting 3 hours before starting the engine should be observed.

If you wanted to take no risks, you could do it the same time you do an oil change. Just drain the oil, reseal the part, wait the 30 minutes, and refill.
Thanks man I really appreciate the info!!

stevessvt

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Modern Steel Metallic Civic Si
Country flag
It’s been 3 months since this thread started. Any resolution OP?

Markinho

First Name
Marko
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey guys, following up on stevesvt's message. I took my 2018 SI Coupe in for an oil change about a week ago and they mentioned an oil leak on the timing chain inspection plate. It was covered by warranty.

Just curious how concerning an oil leak is for a car with 20k kilometers on it. I'm a bit disappointed about this considering the car is only 2 years old.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil residue and leak since new - dealer advise please 1587849613739
Sponsored