Oil overfilled recently, how to siphon out just a little?

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don't drive the car if it's overfilled with oil ?‍♂ Just take the extra 2 minutes to drain it so you don't damage your car. Extended idling is also a horrible idea on these cars, that's how you get fuel in your oil.

If you were blowing that much smoke, you need to do another oil change ASAP.
My question is what's the cause when reversing out? The uphill angle it was at? Oil sloshed and made it above rings or out exhaust valve?...

I drove it to the airport, parked, then back so 40 miles on it with a half qt extra and your advice is get all that new oil out, it's all contaminated?:eek: I took a half qt out with 40 miles on it and it could pass for brand new out of the jug. Omg my cars going to explode!

I've had 4 Blackstone labs oil reports. The worst fuel dilution was 0.8% the best was <0.2%. How bad is yours fuel dilution? Shouldnt be high enough to recommend a 40 mile oci because I left it idle for a half hour with half qt extra.?‍♂
Sponsored

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
you can kill an engine with overfilled oil. The crankshaft starts to hit the oil in the pan because the overfilled oil sits higher. This causes the oil to foam

foamed oil is picked up by the oilpump and sent to the bearings.Foam has air in it = metal on metal contact = significant wear

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, if the oil is high enough the crank will start slapping into it and cause aeration and froth. Not good. Half quart extra shouldn't be disastrous for a few miles though. Definitely didn't contaminate the oil.

My question is why did the exhaust smoke only when pulling away from an idle. Not during idle and not after driving. My guess is the decline I backed onto with extra half qt.

Ex-t hammer

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EX-T 6spd sold. Accord 2.0 10AT '18
Country flag
Reading all about this makes me think about the people who buy these civics, serviced at the dealer, and are not knowledgeable about maintenance just driving around over filled, yikes man. Happened to me the first day I bought my car, never again will the dealership change my oil. Just drain it leave the oil filter on and add 3 qrts and Boom perfect reading.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Reading all about this makes me think about the people who buy these civics, serviced at the dealer, and are not knowledgeable about maintenance just driving around over filled, yikes man. Happened to me the first day I bought my car, never again will the dealership change my oil. Just drain it leave the oil filter on and add 3 qrts and Boom perfect reading.
A minor overfill is usually nothing. If you have smoke coming out of the engine or tailpipe you’d notice it - and then you have a problem.

jXian

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
My question is what's the cause when reversing out? The uphill angle it was at? Oil sloshed and made it above rings or out exhaust valve?...

I drove it to the airport, parked, then back so 40 miles on it with a half qt extra and your advice is get all that new oil out, it's all contaminated?:eek: I took a half qt out with 40 miles on it and it could pass for brand new out of the jug. Omg my cars going to explode!

I've had 4 Blackstone labs oil reports. The worst fuel dilution was 0.8% the best was <0.2%. How bad is yours fuel dilution? Shouldnt be high enough to recommend a 40 mile oci because I left it idle for a half hour with half qt extra.?‍♂
Fine, don't take my advice. There is probably fuel in your oil if you had that much blowby, and that changes the lubrication properties of the oil. $50 for an oil change now is cheaper than a few thousand for an engine, but you do you buddy.

Civicspor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Civic Hatchback, 2002 crv, 2018 civic hasport
Country flag
Fine, don't take my advice. There is probably fuel in your oil if you had that much blowby, and that changes the lubrication properties of the oil. $50 for an oil change now is cheaper than a few thousand for an engine, but you do you buddy.
I think this is the main reason for the subtle vibration/high idle issues people posted about. besides the exhaust hangers right there on the subframe,I think people are throwing in 4.5qrts of oil in their 1.5s
Sponsored