Oil overfilled 1.5T

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just wanted to share my experience because I didn’t find any posts with the same issue. I had an oil change by the dealer at 20k and following that the car was sending out a decent size quick cloud of smoke after uphill right hand turns under load. Took it back to the dealer and they confirmed the oil was well overfilled and did a completely new oil change while measuring it. Not sure why they didn’t “measure it” in the first place but problem solved.
Sponsored

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
As more, I read about such stuff, as the more I'm paranoid about regular maintenance ?

P.S. I don't have a garage to do it by myself...

OP
OP
SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As more, I read about such stuff, as the more I'm paranoid about regular maintenance ?

P.S. I don't have a garage to do it by myself...
I don’t have a garage either but if I’m paying I might as well do it right the first time myself ? fortunately there are several dealers nearby so it might be time for a change.

DmK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I don’t have a garage either but if I’m paying I might as well do it right the first time myself ? fortunately there are several dealers nearby so it might be time for a change.
Unfortunately, that's the problem with the way dealers paying to the staff.
As far as I know, mechanics getting paid not by the hour but by the job they did. So they really don't care if it will take them 15 min or 2 hours they still will get the same, as a result, bunch of guys just rushing and don't really care about quality...

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
true flad mechanics do most of the time rush jobs but for a tech to be a flad tech he or she should already know at least the basics. this sounds more like a new fresh out of high school tech who messed up from being on the phone and just overlooked it. best practice is that as soon as you are handed the keys (just like maybe your grandpa) open the hood and check the "new" parts or service.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
I don’t have a garage. Done in either empty parking lot or side of the street by a friend’s house. I have installed a lot of stuff in empty parking lots or the side of the street by a friend’s house.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Well, I change my oil myself not to save money.... but because of things like this.

Long time ago, when I didn't have my own garage, I fought wars with different oil changers to get them to stop overfilling my oil. I lost that war. They would overfill even if I asked them before to please not overfill. I started asking them to only fill half way between the dipstick marks. They would resist and make me sign a paper certifying that I asked for something outrageous like this. :rofl: Then I started coming back and asking for draining the excess. Then I started draining the excess myself and asking for my money back.

You won't get any better oil change at a Honda dealer than at Walmart or any Quick Lube.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Well, I change my oil myself not to save money.... but because of things like this.

Long time ago, when I didn't have my own garage, I fought wars with different oil changers to get them to stop overfilling my oil. I lost that war. They would overfill even if I asked them before to please not overfill. I started asking them to only fill half way between the dipstick marks. They would resist and make me sign a paper certifying that I asked for something outrageous like this. :rofl: Then I started coming back and asking for draining the excess. Then I started draining the excess myself and asking for my money back.

You won't get any better oil change at a Honda dealer than at Walmart or any Quick Lube.
Agreed.

Didn't let the dealer do any of the tire rotations...UNTIL that ONE time this August during regular + year 2 maintenance. One of the techs ended up damaging the Sh!t out of one of my wheels...impact gun damages on the face of the wheel, and on every spoke...like it fell face-down onto the shop floor, or it got dragged around face-down.

They are now out the ~$200 to get the a wheel repair company attempt to fix + repaint the wheel, plus an an extra ~$550 to order a new wheel from Eneki in Japan. All because some dude was being careless during an ordinary ass maintenance work.

(They couldn't match the factory paint color...Eneki told them there IS NO paint code, because it's a 10-step / layer paint process)

OP
OP
SDSport6MT

SDSport6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6mt
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agreed.

Didn't let the dealer do any of the tire rotations...UNTIL that ONE time this August during regular + year 2 maintenance. One of the techs ended up damaging the Sh!t out of one of my wheels...impact gun damages on the face of the wheel, and on every spoke...like it fell face-down onto the shop floor, or it got dragged around face-down.

They are now out the ~$200 to get the a wheel repair company attempt to fix + repaint the wheel, plus an an extra ~$550 to order a new wheel from Eneki in Japan. All because some dude was being careless during an ordinary ass maintenance work.

(They couldn't match the factory paint color...Eneki told them there IS NO paint code, because it's a 10-step / layer paint process)
Honda refused to rotate my wheels/tires every time I asked stating the fronts were more worn (no shit, that’s why I want them rotated) so maybe that’s for the best, sorry that happened but at least they’re taking responsibility.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure why they didn’t “measure it” in the first place but problem solved.
I can tell you why - because they are dumb. There is no other explanation. At the dealer they work almost exclusively on Hondas, and an average Maine Coon cat would be able to memorize the oil change volumes for all the cars they do. But accurate filling requires also a dipstick check, and they have a problem with this.

Honda refused to rotate my wheels/tires every time I asked stating the fronts were more worn (no shit, that’s why I want them rotated) so maybe that’s for the best, sorry that happened but at least they’re taking responsibility.
I don't believe in their responsibility. As long as all tires are still serviceable, and not almost bald, the whole thing about not putting the more worn out tires in the rear is 99% BS. A quite recent BS. The reason is that tire rotations are an even better way to get people in the shop than oil changes, now that the cars may call for oil changes every 10 kmiles or even more. So they now condition the owners to make them come for tire rotations more often. And if they don't, they will be forced to buy new tires earlier, because some places will refuse to rotate.

I rotate my own wheels whenever I feel like it.

Last edited:

PNWCIVICSPORTHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport HB
Country flag
many times they overfill because they don't get all the old oil out. put on lift , take off drain plug, let it drain till it no longer gushing out and stick plug back in. they are not going to take the time to let it drain till it stops dripping. you need to check also if they change the filter. my mom got ripped off by a honda dealer charging but not changing the filter. i know because when i changed her oil the next time it was the same non honda filter that was on there .

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
They overfilled mine too. The oil level almost reaches the top of the orange plastic on the dipstick. That’s not a lot of excess oil I think, but still.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They overfilled mine too. The oil level almost reaches the top of the orange plastic on the dipstick. That’s not a lot of excess oil I think, but still.
That’s 0.5 liter of excess oil.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
That’s 0.5 liter of excess oil.
I'm actually curious how much excess oil is still "OK". As far as I know Honda uses 4 liter oil (~3.5L to refill after an oil change) to reduce the environmental impact, but how much excess oil can cause problems?
Everything seems normal with 0.4-0.5L by me (at least for now). But what about 0.7L, 1.0L or maybe more?

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm actually curious how much excess oil is still "OK". As far as I know Honda uses 4 liter oil (~3.5L to refill after an oil change) to reduce the environmental impact, but how much excess oil can cause problems?
Everything seems normal with 0.4-0.5L by me (at least for now). But what about 0.7L, 1.0L or maybe more?
I'm quite sure up to 7 mm (1/4 + inch) is fine with this engine. I believe up to the top of yellow may be OK. I don't go any higher, ever.

Actually I only once shortly went close to the top of the plastic, when I was seeing oil dilution for the first time. Now, I either change or remove some oil if it ever gets higher than 6-7 mm. I never have the oil overfilled, because I change it myself, so if it goes up, it's only because of the fuel in it.

The rate of oil rise on the dipstick with oil volume is about 50 mL/mm, (2.7 ozfl/ 1/16 ") and this is fairly constant over the length of the yellow plastic, at least from the middle between the marks to the top. (If the oil sump was a round pipe at this level, it would have about 25 cm (10 inch) internal diameter. :coffee: ) The top of the plastic is about 10.5 mm (0.41 ") above the full mark.
[As determined experimentally and by advanced computational modeling by researchers at the IASOD.]

It's like with the low oil case. As long as you drive straight on a flat road, the oil level may be high enough to submerge the oil pickup inlet. When you turn fast, go uphill, downhill, your oil light might come on for a moment, as the oil pump is trying to suck air. Not good.

With too much oil, at first the oil will be getting where it shouldn't go in the upper parts of the engine only occasionally, as it sloshes around, and this may seem OK with sedate driving. The oil may get more aerated, but there are no short term symptoms of this.
Sponsored