Oil Life %

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Every used oil analysis that's been posted here of oil that was changed when the MM showed 0% has shown that the oil still had a little usable life left in it. Honda errs on the side of caution.

JNOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00' EX H23A, 17' Si Sedan WOP
How accurate is the oil life % on this car?

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 10.34.16 AM.png
Sorry to be off topic and excuse me if this is a dumb question but is that an app or something that your getting that info from in the pic?

OP
OP
Canteenboy

Canteenboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Sorry to be off topic and excuse me if this is a dumb question but is that an app or something that your getting that info from in the pic?
It's from the Honda Link app. On iOS it shows your parked location and range to empty along with the the oil life.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
iOS one must actually work. I deleted the Android app b/c all it would ever show is my parked location (from days ago) + the range left (from days ago).

DrwMDvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WOP Civic Si Sedan, 2000 Honda Civic
Country flag
How accurate is the oil life % on this car?

Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 10.34.16 AM.png
There are plenty of variables that the maintenance reminder goes off of to indicate oil life %. This can include, but is not limited to, driving conditions, temperature, length of drives, driving frequency, etc.

You're mileage may vary.. It will be hard to directly compare everyone's accuracy because everyone has different driving habits/driving conditions.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
iOS one must actually work. I deleted the Android app b/c all it would ever show is my parked location (from days ago) + the range left (from days ago).
No, it doesn't work any better. I'm using the HondaLink app on iOS with two Honda vehicles. On both vehicles, the HondaLink app will sometimes show current information while other times it is days old. It is next to useless. It also goes through periods where the app opens itself on my phone every time the vehicle connects while other times it doesn't. I may as well delete it. It's rubbish.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si sedan, 2006 civic si coupe
Just change the oil every 3-4K miles with full synthetic. I use my trip A or B to track the miles. The MM is useless IMO. Also just use common sense.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just change the oil every 3-4K miles with full synthetic. I use my trip A or B to track the miles. The MM is useless IMO. Also just use common sense.
Depending on your driving, changing it this often can be a waste of time and money. I'm following the MM and getting around 13,000 km (8,000 miles) between oil changes. I drive roughly 2/3 highway, 1/3 city.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depending on your driving, changing it this often can be a waste of time and money. I'm following the MM and getting around 13,000 km (8,000 miles) between oil changes. I drive roughly 2/3 highway, 1/3 city.
I change mine every 3-4K cause I like to keep the oil as good as I can. Not really waste of time. Specially if you are always on the go, probably a good idea to keep up with the oil changes. I'm willing to spend the money to keep my daily at tip top shape. Maybe I'm just OCD, but I know there are others like me, if not worse. I definitely do not disagree with you. That's just how I go about it.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I change mine every 3-4K cause I like to keep the oil as good as I can. Not really waste of time. Specially if you are always on the go, probably a good idea to keep up with the oil changes. I'm willing to spend the money to keep my daily at tip top shape. Maybe I'm just OCD, but I know there are others like me, if not worse. I definitely do not disagree with you. That's just how I go about it.
When it is proven that cars go hundreds of thousands of miles with bulk oil at the maintenance intervals recommended by the manufacturer, why would you want to change it more frequently? Will you even own the vehicle by the time it has more than 200-300K miles when it might make a difference?

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
Honda strongly recommends not doing the first oil change before it's due. They have break-in oil on the initial fill with additives that help the motor.

17siturb0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda strongly recommends not doing the first oil change before it's due. They have break-in oil on the initial fill with additives that help the motor.
I don't apply that when the cars brand new and on brake in period. You are correct.
Sponsored