M3RCY

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
i have 3550 miles on my new si and my oil life is at 90%... Is this normal? The percentage seems high.
Sponsored

Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
I have 1400 miles on my car with 80 % . I agree that your percentage seems s bit high.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
I have 80% but only have 730 miles. It depends on many factors. I have owned my car since 2/2. I drive 4.5 miles one way to work in stop and go traffic. Your results may differ depending on your commute ... etc ... I am getting a solid 25 MPG now ... Yeah ... worst of the worst simply because of the fact that I am going stop light to stop light.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
i have 3550 miles on my new si and my oil life is at 90%... Is this normal? The percentage seems high.
If you follow the mm, you will be fine. When I reached 7k from my last oil change I had 15 or 20 percent left, sent my oil for analysis, and I could have easily gone another 2 to 3k. This was a lot of mixed driving including through harsh conditions

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Yeah that’s normal. It factors in driving conditions to calculate when you need an oil change. It will never be the same each time. Mine was around 7500 before mine was down to 20%. Just stick to the maintenance minder and use full synthetic oil and you will be good

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
'

Certainly possible

are you driving a lot of long distance highway miles?

your oil will last longer if you do that,

short trips is what kills engine oil
Indeed.

My commute is mostly highway miles.. Following the MM, I average about 8,000 miles between oil changes.

Paprocjo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI, 2016 Mazda CX-5
Country flag
I just hit 3600 and mine is at 60%. My commute to work is 15 miles round trip and I drive spiritedly frequently.

OP
OP
M3RCY

M3RCY

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
are you driving a lot of long distance highway miles?

your oil will last longer if you do that,

short trips is what kills engine oil
Yeah I have been. A few hundred miles each time. My work commute is a bit of town and highway. About 10 miles

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
regardless of what the MM says your first oil change should be done one year from the date your car was built......NOT the date you purchased it
Huh?

Perhaps you meant "no later than one year from the date..."

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
i regularly get 10k km or about 7500miles between oil changes. 60k on it now and no smoke or symptoms of engine wear.
the thing to watch for is excessive oil dilution. these di motors do it anyways but if your dipstick shows way above full then get the oil tested. short daily trips makes it more susceptible.

kibz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I'm at ~7k miles(6 months) and it just recently dropped to 60%. I know people say to wait til it's 15-20% but that seems a little farfetched in my case. I drive about 25 miles each way to work mostly highways. I checked the oil and it is a little dark. I'm thinking about just doing an oil change this weekend.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I'm at ~7k miles(6 months) and it just recently dropped to 60%. I know people say to wait til it's 15-20% but that seems a little farfetched in my case. I drive about 25 miles each way to work mostly highways. I checked the oil and it is a little dark. I'm thinking about just doing an oil change this weekend.
i trust the mm. it never gets so bad i fear for the motor's life. the only time i change early is before autocross or track day. for daily i trust it.
i am tsp1 fyi.

kibz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
i trust the mm. it never gets so bad i fear for the motor's life. the only time i change early is before autocross or track day. for daily i trust it.
i am tsp1 fyi.
I'd be looking at roughly 14k miles for my first oil change if I go by the MM. Has anyone drove that long without doing their first oil change? I, too, am on TSP1 with K&N filter replaced 2-3 months back. I've read conflicting posts regarding the MM so just wasn't too sure. Also read that black oil doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad. Still on the fence about just changing it out, though some posts say it's bad to change out the first oil when the MM doesn't recommend it.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I'd be looking at roughly 14k miles for my first oil change if I go by the MM. Has anyone drove that long without doing their first oil change? I, too, am on TSP1 with K&N filter replaced 2-3 months back. .
i have seen it go the last 50% faster than the first half.
these turbos use oil to lube the turbo so it will go dark early.
just more to consider .
just keep an eye on it and see how it does.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about the color, that has nothing to do with quality or oil life. When I changed my oil (7K after my last oil change) as I stated earlier, it was almost black, but oil analysis showed the oil was in good condition and I could have waited another 2 or 3K before changing it. As long as it is a fully synthetic oil that is API, SN or SN plus the oil is designed to withstand harsh conditions
Sponsored