Oil life meter accurate?

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
My old ext mm dropped to 15% every 2500 miles.
Sponsored

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After all, Honda tells you to change the oil at least once a year regardless of miles.
I've searched high and low for actual recommendations from Honda and still have found nothing definitive from Honda on maintenance beyond the MM. Please cite your reference for the once per year that you mention.
I do not disagree that conventional wisdom is to change oil at least annually, no matter how many miles you put on the vehicle. I just can never find anything official from Honda.

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I've searched high and low for actual recommendations from Honda and still have found nothing definitive from Honda on maintenance beyond the MM. Please cite your reference for the once per year that you mention.
I do not disagree that conventional wisdom is to change oil at least annually, no matter how many miles you put on the vehicle. I just can never find anything official from Honda.
It's in the owner's manual, right at the top of the MM list. "If the Maintenance Minder indicator does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the oil every year."

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's in the owner's manual, right at the top of the MM list. "If the Maintenance Minder indicator does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the oil every year."
Good find. I guess I should RTFM. Google just seemed easier. Thanks!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
This suggests it's not based on actual oil condition but a predetermined mileage of some sort.
The Maintenance Minder calculates remaining oil life based on actual operating conditions - not distance traveled. See attached Honda research paper on how it works.

Its based on time as well. So 30 percent drop sounds just about right for that time frame.
The only Honda model that currently includes elapsed time as a factor in calculating remaining oil life is the 2018-current Odyssey. Time will be added as a factor in future models as they are redesigned. See the attached Honda Product Characteristic Sheet.

Attachments

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I did a quick read through of the research paper & it appears oil temperature plays a big part in the oil deterioration algorithm. Yet it seems they are going through great lengths to estimate the oil temperature. Why not just use a temperature sensor if it's that important?

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I did a quick read through of the research paper & it appears oil temperature plays a big part in the oil deterioration algorithm. Yet it seems they are going through great lengths to estimate the oil temperature. Why not just use a temperature sensor if it's that important?
An oil temperature sensor adds additional cost, weight, complexity, and an additional potential point of failure. Estimating oil temperature using data from existing sensors adds nothing but a one-time cost.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
An oil temperature sensor adds additional cost, weight, complexity, and an additional potential point of failure. Estimating oil temperature using data from existing sensors adds nothing but a one-time cost.
I don't think Honda is concerned about those things. If they were then the car wouldn't have a turbo & all its related parts, or dual-zone comfort control, power moonroof, etc. They're certainly not keeping things simple & trouble free.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I didn't read it, but I can tell you that oil life depends on the temperature so strongly, that a bulk oil temperature sensor would not help much. It't the highest local temperature (hottest spots) that matter. These high spots shoot up, while the bulk temperature remains quite constant. This is much easier to estimate than to measure.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I'm at 5700 miles so far on my type R with stock oil still and MM is still at 40%. I don't think I want to let it go much longer but also didn't want to get rid of the stock oil too early since everyone says theirs additives that need to be properly ran through the engine on new cars.
You'll find a high molybdenum content in the factory oil, but it's from the assembly lube that is designed to protect the parts until the engine is started for the first time. Once everything gets coated in engine oil during the initial startup, the molybdenum has no further function - it's just there for the ride until the first oil change. There are no additives in the factory engine oil - is the same Honda-specific formulation from a supplier that Honda sells in quarts over the counter except it's piped in to the assembly line from a huge tank outside.
Sponsored