Oil life is at %20

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Are you guys recommend me to change the oil even though it’s been 50days and 3.000 miles just because it’s at %20? Idk never had such a short time period of oil change before in any car. I usually change it every 5.000miles.
I'm not sure if anyone answered your question directly so I will go ahead and add a few comments (sorry if they repeat something mentioned earlier).

Yes, the MM tracks your individual driving habits beyond just time and mileage. It factors readings from 4-6 other sensors, including RPM, speed, ambient/engine temp, throttle position, etc. We've seen OCIs pop up as often as every 2.8K in extreme cold with frequent low mileage trips - conditions within TCDI powertrains that require much more frequent intervals due to risk of oil dilution. By the same token, we've seen the interval extend as long as 11-12K in cars that see nothing more than excessive hwy miles.

When in doubt, change it at the reported MM interval. It's cheap insurance and ensures you continue to have several key items covered under warranty (if that still applies to you). Failure to do so on these particular configurations could risk excessive particulates accumulating on the OCRs (vs. being suspended in the oil) , which in turn leads to aggressive oil consumption over time.

Happy motoring. :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: gxl

daryel.corran

First Name
daryelcorran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw
Country flag
I had an oil change at 72402 miles, recently I hit 75597 but my oil life at %20.

How’s that possible? It’s not even 5.000 miles. Should I ignore the oil life indicator?
They forget to reset the maintenance minder, maybe?

Last edited:

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I really should be making more popcorn :popcorn:
Make some for me too ... :catfight::popcorn:
I'll bring the beer! :beer:
This might just be THE most toxic 10gen thread I've ever seen.

To quote Rodney King " can we all get along? Can we, can we get along?"

Montana Miner

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I change based on MM, ranges from 7,200 to 9,400 miles. I also don’t run water, use 5w30, will go to 10w40 at 150k miles, then 20w50 at 250k miles. Last Honda had 324k miles when I sold, engine was still strong, zero oil burn. And I do send samples to a lab occasionally, even at 9K it’s still in spec, not contaminated and still has proper chemistry.
Sponsored