joecalta3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 EX, 2017 EX Civic
Country flag
I drive my 2017 EX Civic appx 6K miles a year. The oil life indicator tells me it's time for a oil change at about 4K miles. I use Mobile One Synth oil (0-w20) which is rated for 10K miles. Should I ignore the life indicator and ride out the oil to about 8 or 9K in mileage? Or change the oil when says to, which is way less then the life expectancy of the oil? Also, I am using the following filter, rated at 20K miles.

FRAM XG7317 Ultra Synthetic
Sponsored

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
10K miles is only if you drive a lot on highway and not it city. 6k miles/yr seems like you do lot of short drives which reduces oil life badly.

Honda algorithm calculates how many miles you are driving and how frequently you are stopping and restarting the car and other factors to show the oil life. So, change it accordingly.

Also, may be you or the service guy forgot to reset the maintenance indicator after oil change. It might happen and you alone should know

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I put a REALLY low amount of miles on my civic per year (~13k miles on odo after getting it in march 2018) and I follow the maintainance minder exactly. As the guy above me said, its not mileage but the way you use your car.

OP
OP
joecalta3

joecalta3

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 EX, 2017 EX Civic
Country flag
Great points all. Apprecaite the feedback.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Everyone hit it on the nose, I just want to add that I'm pretty sure despite the mileage listed on that oil, that it also says if your car is under warranty, to still follow the manufactures recommendations.

PNWCIVICSPORTHB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport HB
Country flag
change mine at 5k miles , i suscribe to the "oil is cheap ,engines are expensive " crowd. with all the stories of dilution it seems to be even more important to change it often

Flaco1er

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got my 2020 a month ago and has under 3k with 50% life already with some oil res on my exhaust tip; seemed odd so I called the dealer to make an appointment for next week to make sure everything still good.

She mentioned its because Honda uses starter oil when they come in ?‍♂?‍♂ hopefully its just that.

I have been beating on it tho since the roads are empty due to the pandemic maybe that's why I burned through so fast.

SpringRubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatch Sport, CVT, White
Country flag
@Flaco1er -- or maybe it's all doze up-n-down hills inda Poconos. ;)

Funny -- I seem to be getting the reverse from most of you and while I do baby my braking I'm not opposed to pushing the throttle from time to time. BUT I also drive short distances: 2 years now with a daily commute of 3 miles each way and just 6K miles per year. You'd think the MM on oil would hate how I drive. Yet the MM tells me the oil is way good. Last month it was telling me the oil was at 40% life (after 10 months & 6200 miles) but check the attached lab report which says otherwise: change it now, due to fuel dilution and reduced viscosity. sigh.

I changed the oil just yesterday and here's the volume of what I drained out. You can see it's a half quart more than the approx 3.7 quarts that I had put in. Yeah, I knew my oil level was elevated per the dipstick but seeing the old oil in the jug makes it pretty clear.

Definitely will change oil based on time, distance and driving style and let the MM be a guide, not the rule!

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Life Indicator VS. 10K Synth Oil 2020-03-19 - 2018 civic HB sport report Pennzoil 0W-201

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Life Indicator VS. 10K Synth Oil 2020-04-23 civic oil volume

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
I change at 5k too. While in theory the MM should manage the best change interval, the oil dilution issue with the turbo engine is clear evidence that you shouldn't put blind faith in Honda.

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
don't go by what the oil company says, what the oil companies claim is based on 100% optimal conditions.....nobody drives in 100% optimal conditions,

follow your MM, i normally don't let mine get below 30% to be safe

your oil should be changed once a year REGARDLESS of what the MM says,

so its one year, OR MM....whichever comes first

same here, i change the oil at 30%
Sponsored