Oil life 15 % question

Eore227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX hatchback
Country flag
Hi guys just a quick question hopefully someone can answer. New civic 21 hatchback. Currently since December living out of my car. Got my oil change in Jan and right now only 2200 miles driven since oil change. Maintanece minder just popped up saying oil change 15 percent. Main question is since the temp has been cold I will occasionally start up car and turn on heat while ididling. Commute to work is about 20
mins and I’m not a lead foot. Before living out of the car mpg was 36.9 miles now it’s down to 29, I guess turning on the car on and off for heat drops that. So my question for you guys does that affect oil life with me starting up the car and leaving the heat on several times a night? Just curious how it came on this early but makes sense with all my turning off and on to keep warm. Thanks!
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
1- So my question for you guys does that affect oil life with me starting up the car and leaving the heat on several times a night?

2-Just curious how it came on this early but makes sense with all my turning off and on to keep warm. Thanks!
1- You have your answer with 15% oil life since january

2- It is not good for a car engine

OP
OP

Eore227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX hatchback
Country flag
Makes sense. Thanks

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you sure that the MIN for the oil was reset to 100% when the oil was changed in January?

OP
OP

Eore227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX hatchback
Country flag
Are you sure that the MIN for the oil was reset to 100% when the oil was changed in January?
yup it was, I just think with all the idle I’ve been doing this past few months is the culprit. been a cold winter. checked my oil level and looks good but did notice a gas smell just now. Will try and get in for a oil change and no more idle for me.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the maintenance minder system measures oil life by miles and time engine is on. idling wears down oil which leads to earlier mileage oil changes. I cant find it but imagine a line graph with run time and miles as the axis' with 2 lines at different slopes both coming from 0. in between the lines is the green zone, right amount of miles to on time, outside the two lines is red zone for either excessive miles compared to engine on time, or excessive on time compared to miles, red zones will seem like you are changing your oil more frequently.

OP
OP

Eore227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX hatchback
Country flag
the maintenance minder system measures oil life by miles and time engine is on. idling wears down oil which leads to earlier mileage oil changes. I cant find it but imagine a line graph with run time and miles as the axis' with 2 lines at different slopes both coming from 0. in between the lines is the green zone, right amount of miles to on time, outside the two lines is red zone for either excessive miles compared to engine on time, or excessive on time compared to miles, red zones will seem like you are changing your oil more frequently.
awesome, yeah I sure did a lot of idle with heat on these past two months so that all makes sense

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From what I've been told if you are just idling the motor for long periods you will get fuel washing of the cylinders which is even worse on DI. It means fuel is literally washing the oil from the cylinder walls since you are running at lower oil pressure. This plus the fact that full operating temp helps burn off the fuel in the oil means your oil life will drop fast.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do you even get heat while idling in the cold? My car refuses to warm up and produce heat unless I put the engine under load, i.e. driving it.

Might I suggest driving around the block a few times when you need heat? It will warm up a LOT faster.

OP
OP

Eore227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX hatchback
Country flag
How do you even get heat while idling in the cold? My car refuses to warm up and produce heat unless I put the engine under load, i.e. driving it.

Might I suggest driving around the block a few times when you need heat? It will warm up a LOT faster.
yeah, it made heat no problem while I was parked. Yup, good idea on that.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

If you start your car in the cold morning to warm up, dont put heat all the way up, like 3 clicks back or at 78 instead of HI, set fan 3 quarters of the way, and most importantly turn on recirculate. if not it will take longer for your engine to warm up. trying to heat up outside cold air uses more heat energy than heating up the air recirculating inside of your car.

OP
OP

Eore227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX hatchback
Country flag
I’m also coming from a 2010 civic which i did this in as well. I guess the 21 hatchback minder is more sensitive then the 2010 as that oil percentage never was effected by the idling. But stupid me should know this can definitely kill the oil in no time.

OP
OP

Eore227

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX hatchback
Country flag
I hope you get into a better situation soon, I did the sleeping in a civic coupe over a winter and it fucking sucks.
thanks, yeah at least soon it will get warmer ha
Sponsored