Oil level sanity check

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Not sure what the "drain back" time is on these engine, but some engines drain back slowly from the top end. I do warm, but leave the plug out and pan under for hours so it all gets a chance to exit.

Of course I'm a little anal retentive about dirty oil.
How does that work? It seems like more oil would come out when it's warm.
Sponsored

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If the low oil pressure light came on and stays on there is risk of damaging the engine. The photo you sent appears to show oil at or below the add oil mark (bottom hole). If the car was on level ground, recheck - be sure to wipe the dipstick off before measuring. If low add oil to get closer to the top hole (full mark) and see if the low pressure light goes out after the car is restarted. Many reasons for low oil, most likely is under-filling at the oil change.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Hello,

I saw the oil level warning on my car's screen today. I checked the dipstick but it seems a bit too much. I changed the oil a month ago and drove about 500 km. What can I do about it?

C7D730A5-4A5B-40C3-8183-752575B41D81.jpeg
D5AE2A38-EC92-4158-BA26-7F42DBED3D66.jpeg

If the low oil pressure light came on and stays on there is risk of damaging the engine. The photo you sent appears to show oil at or below the add oil mark (bottom hole). If the car was on level ground, recheck - be sure to wipe the dipstick off before measuring. If low add oil to get closer to the top hole (full mark) and see if the low pressure light goes out after the car is restarted. Many reasons for low oil, most likely is under-filling at the oil change.

20ls01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RRRRRRR
Country flag
How does that work? It seems like more oil would come out when it's warm.
Absolutely not unless you let it drain overnight

Think of this way...how do you get the last quarter inch of soap/honey/laundry detergent from the base of your container?

You flip it over and let it drain into a seperate container overnight. It wont finish draining in 3-15 minutes which is the duration of a typical oil change.

Ive been doing cold oil changes for 10+ years. It has always gotten more oil out FASTER.

caner92

First Name
Caner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R FK8
Country flag
low oil pressure light came on and stays on there is risk of damaging the engine. The photo you sent appears to show oil at or below the add oil mark (bottom hole). If the car was on level ground, recheck - be sure to wipe the dipstick off before measuring. If low add oil to get closer to the top hole (full mark) and see if the low pressure light goes out after the car is restarted. Many reasons for low oil, most likely is under-filling at the oil change.
It is not clearly visible in the picture. I marked the oil level.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil level sanity check C7D730A5-4A5B-40C3-8183-752575B41D81

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It is not clearly visible in the picture. I marked the oil level.

C7D730A5-4A5B-40C3-8183-752575B41D81.jpeg
It's certainly fuller than I would want it to be.
What does your Owner's Manual say the "oil level warning" light means?
In the USA we have a RED oil pressure icon and a Maintenance Minder alert to periodically change oil, etc but no oil level indicator.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil level sanity check 53D3D149-74B8-4F9F-8518-9E10527D5EF6
Oil level should be here at the 2nd hole. Suggest raising the car, then loosenIng the drain bolt to let the excess drain into a catch pan or bucket, then retighten once you get to the correct level. Re-add oil if drain too much.

Or drain all the oil to a clean bucket, swap the drain bolt for a Fumoto F106 drain valve to make future oil changes easier and less messy, then re-add the right amount of oil from the bucket.

Hello,

I saw the oil level warning on my car's screen today. I checked the dipstick but it seems a bit too much. I changed the oil a month ago and drove about 500 km. What can I do about it?

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Absolutely not unless you let it drain overnight

Think of this way...how do you get the last quarter inch of soap/honey/laundry detergent from the base of your container?

You flip it over and let it drain into a seperate container overnight. It wont finish draining in 3-15 minutes which is the duration of a typical oil change.

Ive been doing cold oil changes for 10+ years. It has always gotten more oil out FASTER.
I still don't understand why. https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/c...s it,should be changed while it's still hot.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Used to do cold changes, now I do hot changes. The particle suspension theory makes sense. Stirring up the oil will suspend the contaminants in the oil and allow it to be drained.

Same reason why you dont want to pump gas from a station that's in the process of being refilled by a tanker. Any heavy contaminants that settled at the bottom of the station's tanks gets stirred up and can be pumped into cars at the station during that time. At least that's the theory.

ultimately, i don't think it really makes a difference unless you've got a car that has a tendency to produce sludge or has a spotty oil change history. My father did cold changes all his life and the '88 civic had over 180k by the time it was donated. Still ran fine.
Sponsored