fuzznubbin

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type-r, 2013 Silverado 2500, 2017 Accord EX-L NAV ACC
Country flag
Ok, I just want to fill everybody in on what is going on with my Type-R!

First off there is currently a recall on a wiring harness that, IS NOT showing up on the internet if you do a search so please check with your dealer.

Second, while my car was in for the recall I was going to get the first oil change also. While there I mentioned to the tech (whom I have lots of faith in) that a few ppl on here have found valve cover leaks so if he could please take a look at mine. In doing so he actually found two more leaks, and I say more because he has already fix one! At this point he has call into Honda to find out where to go from here and I will know more tomorrow.

So if you have oil showing up I recommend you have a trusted tech look at it. Then I suggest you contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009 and have them open a case for you.
Sponsored

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.
When was your car built? I am thinking this is commonly occurring in early model R's. Moreover, thanks for the heads up about the wiring harness recall! I'll see if my VIN is identified as one of the affected.

OP
OP
fuzznubbin

fuzznubbin

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
#917. So one of the first ones built.

NinjamanCTR

Space Force Special Forces
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Expedition Limited, 1998 Ford Contour aka the beater.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Did you leak enough oil to register any loss at the dipstick?

I'm still a teeny bit above the high mark on the dip stick. I looked around the valve cover and do see some minor build up of grime but nothing crazy. Hopefully not a bad leak.

OP
OP
fuzznubbin

fuzznubbin

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you leak enough oil to register any loss at the dipstick?

I'm still a teeny bit above the high mark on the dip stick. I looked around the valve cover and do see some minor build up of grime but nothing crazy. Hopefully not a bad leak.
The first leak was found after I noticed oil on the bottom of the oil pan. Found it installing a new exhaust. It was leaking from a seal on the front of the engine. As far as oil loss it didn’t appear to be much because nothing as was said when I took it in. Not sure about the other two they found yesterday.

BiGGiE365

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Si, 2016 Honda Pilot AWD Touring, 2017 Honda Civc Type R #1306
Just took mine in for an oil change and they notified me of the recall on the wiring harness. They have placed an order and will let me know when the parts arrive.

#1306 CW CTR

OP
OP
fuzznubbin

fuzznubbin

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry it’s taken so long to update, you know life and stuff!
My tech found that a bolt holding a bracket on the timing cover was leaking. Something you would never think to look at. They determined this by doing a dye test. Put some sealant on it and problem solve. All this was done per Honda.
Now as for the second leak it appears to be a transmission leak. They have dye in the fluid now and I will be taking it back next week (I don’t put many miles on it).

TinKnocker_81

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, '09 Sierra Denali 6.2L AWD, '86 Fiero GT 5spd, '15 Pilot EX-L 4WD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have #1894 CW '17 CTR...1,443 miles and I have oil leaking from the valve cover also. Did anyone call Honda about the issue before heading to the dealership? Just wondering what Honda's take is on this.

piston_honda

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Hi There, I had similar issues but haven't had time to post about them yet. I had a mystery oil leak and the source was the timing chain cover. This was fixed so all good.

I had a weird transmission fluid leak too. The source was hard to find but I was informed that it was due to a leak from the axle boot seal. I will be taking a closer look underneath later this week to verify the fix worked.

My CTR is #1540

Sorry it’s taken so long to update, you know life and stuff!
My tech found that a bolt holding a bracket on the timing cover was leaking. Something you would never think to look at. They determined this by doing a dye test. Put some sealant on it and problem solve. All this was done per Honda.
Now as for the second leak it appears to be a transmission leak. They have dye in the fluid now and I will be taking it back next week (I don’t put many miles on it).

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Do you also have a gear grind?

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, I just want to fill everybody in on what is going on with my Type-R!

First off there is currently a recall on a wiring harness that, IS NOT showing up on the internet if you do a search so please check with your dealer.

Second, while my car was in for the recall I was going to get the first oil change also. While there I mentioned to the tech (whom I have lots of faith in) that a few ppl on here have found valve cover leaks so if he could please take a look at mine. In doing so he actually found two more leaks, and I say more because he has already fix one! At this point he has call into Honda to find out where to go from here and I will know more tomorrow.

So if you have oil showing up I recommend you have a trusted tech look at it. Then I suggest you contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009 and have them open a case for you.
Thanks for the info about the oil leak. In regards to the harness, I guess it depends on which dealership you work with, but I made an appointment a week ahead of dropping my car off and they said that since I didn't show any error codes they couldn't replace it. I had the Christmas tree of lights months back, but hasn't shown up since they cleared the codes. I guess it saved me 5 hours of the car in the shop, but still frustrating they didn't tell me they wouldn't replace it until I got there.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also wanted to add that another owner in my area with under 2000 miles on his car made me aware of an oil leak from his valve cover gasket. The dealership warrantied the issue, replaced and sealed the gasket. I decided to check mine and sure enough found the same thing he did. Pop the hood and look behind the engine for oil pooling in the little recesses shown in the photos.

Link to photos: https://imgur.com/a/AE7FLsV

piston_honda

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Adding an update.
The axle boot seal was a bust. I checked and found transmission fluid again. A misdiagnosis of the real problem.

Took it back to the dealer. They pulled the transmission out of the car. Upon closer inspection inside the bell housing it looks like part of the transmission case is porous (larger than a quarter coin). It looks like when the case was cast, there was an imperfection in it allowing fluid to bleed through.

The case was replaced under warranty and my car is back on the road. It looks like the source. Going back in a week for an inspection to confirm.

Quite a weird thing!!

The commuter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I have an 18 SI and it's had the same oil leaking issue. I've also seen it on CRV forums as well. I'm 8 weeks into having this resolved, I just got mine back after the 2nd attempt to fix. First they resealed the oil pan, then the 2nd time another dealership resealed the timing chain cover. I've checked it myself weekly and had to prove to them over and over that it is leaking. I have a case with American Honda which they are supposed to respond to within 24 hrs, it's been 2 weeks and I haven't heard anything. Only response I have had from Honda is when I blasted them on the Facebook sponsored post about the Civic summer sales event. They gave the impression they cared without actually giving a crap. I still have a lot of complaints and requests from American Honda, if they ever reach me. My recommendation to everyone is remove the bottom cover and check it yourself. Take photos of what u see if there is any fluid of any kind.
Sponsored