Oil Leaking?!

Pinenut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R, 2013 Mazda3
Country flag
covered by warranty? whats the root cause? probably bad gaskets?
Covered under warranty but this is an extensive repair that will take several days. All they noted on the parts order was that there was oil seeping from the vacuum pump hoses and from around the valve cover. Makes me either want to buy HondaCare now or sell it before more stuff starts going wrong. And who knows if the new gaskets will even fix the problem. Pretty bummed. Valve cover gasket was bad on my '02 RSX-S but it didn't start leaking til around 40k on that one.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
covered by warranty? whats the root cause? probably bad gaskets?
I have no evidence of proof that this is the cause, but typically, for most cars, the following would be a major cause of starting oil leaks, and blowing oil seals

OVERFILLING THE OIL !!

Now consider that it would appear that so many Civics are both Overfilled when coming from the factory, or more commonly Overfilled when the Dealer change the oil, PLUS the effects of OD increasing the oil fluid levels, and it is not surprising that the cars are springing oil leaks.

Our new SI, with 10 miles on the clock when we purchased it, was OVERFILLED.
(Oil level was at TOP or Orange plastic on Dip-Stick)
With only 10 miles, I do not think the high level was cause by OD.

Within a few miles of getting the car, I removed the excess oil, so it was at the MAX mark.
5000 miles later, it is still EXACTLY the the MAX mark, and no oil leaks.
Cannot see any leaked oil on the engine, and no sign of any oil on the Gararge floor.

Note Mid 2018 Si, so before Factory started doing the OD TSB on newer (2019) cars.
Has not had the current OD TSB done --

I would say:-
If it ain't broke, don't let Dealer break it !!!

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
I just did my oil change today and noticed an oily spot at where the trans mate to the engine. Car at 2767 miles. I know some people had valve cover leaks but mine is okay .

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Leaking?! IMG_20190331_165801
Sponsored